Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The best song for you on NYCG&F? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=500)

Fox 04.02.2006 02:18 PM

NYC Ghosts & Flowers

I think it's the best song since Mote, in 1990

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 04.02.2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proud Marie
Soory, but NYCG+F just goes downhill after after track 1. Small Flowers is embaressing. Someone tell Thurston hes not the next Allen Ginsberg. I dont think it deserved the 0.0 rating Pitchfork gave it, but i just dont dig the minimalism garbage.

Minimalism? I don't hear any minimalism.

I think it's an ok album. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

krastian 04.02.2006 02:56 PM

NYCG&F

DoubleNickels 04.02.2006 03:02 PM

gotta say NYCG&F. I think it's Lee's best songs, but I've never heard Genetic, so I really couldn't make that opinion justified. I would love to see it back in the setlists... HINT HINT.

soniknirve 04.02.2006 03:04 PM

i voted for nyc g&f but i change my mind...
album song: streamXsonik subway <-- love the noise jim creates during this song
live song: nyc g&f

DoubleNickels 04.02.2006 03:06 PM

What the hell does Jim play on Subway? It fuckin rules whatever it is.

jon boy 04.02.2006 03:11 PM

there are so many great songs on this album to choose from that i really had a hard time with this poll.

saoq 04.02.2006 03:15 PM

obviously NYCG+F. the best SY song after Expressway. I think of it in the same group of songs with I love her all the time, Expressway to yr skull, Diamond Sea, the Sprawl and Schizophrenia.

with the exception of NYCGF, the first track and lightin' , the rest of the songs off NYCGF are not even interesting. i dislike that album - and murray street and s nurse.

!@#$%! 04.02.2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
there are so many great songs on this album to choose from that i really had a hard time with this poll.

my problem is the opposite. i don't really like most of them. i mean they are OK but meh...

ok, let the flaming begin :D

no, no flaming-- it's just probably my least favorite sy album, close to ejstns...

krastian 04.02.2006 03:29 PM

It's my least favorite album too, but I still love it.

DoubleNickels 04.02.2006 03:29 PM

I think NYCG&F is my favourite Sonic Youth album. It's in the running with Evol, Washing Machine and DDN.

I agree in that my least favourite is EJSTNS.

Neongod 04.02.2006 09:25 PM

NYCG&F easily. Free City Rhymes and Rengade are honorable mentions. And if Kim had only come up with different lyrics for the middle part of Nevermind (Boys go to Jupiter...) that would probably be my top actually. But she didn't and Lee prevails with his amazing poetry.

hey alex 04.02.2006 09:39 PM

NYCG&F is one of two SY albums I don't really dig, but don't hold against them, the other being jet set, of course. I mean, their gear got stolen before this one and they hadn't really worked into their new gear yet... and the production, no offense to jim, just doesn't fit right most of the time. Too thin. As for jet set, kim was pregnant and there were no lee songs. It's a fuckin odd ball.

therealglenstyler 04.03.2006 04:21 AM

me what sucks... i voted nycg&fs but having seen the results i wanna wade in for renegade princess as that seems to be getting over looked and it rockswell.

!@#$%! 04.03.2006 07:14 AM

boys go to jupiter they get stupider

hah hah i had forgotten. that just won my vote.

sy2004 04.03.2006 10:54 AM

It's probably the only SY record that I didn't hear hundreds of times but perhaps a maximum of 5 times instead :(
Surely liked "Nevermind"

greenlight 04.03.2006 12:12 PM

mine would be the first one, but after seen side2side live with jim o' rourke behind laptop it's immpossible to vote