Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chelsea Light Moving (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79085)

noisereductions 06.22.2012 10:13 AM

Chelsea Light Moving

so T has a new band then, huh?

Moshe 06.22.2012 10:20 AM

http://stereogum.com/1073092/chelsea...28stereogum%29

Pookie 06.22.2012 10:53 AM

I presume they'll sound just like Sonic Youth?

EDIT: Actually it turns out not as much like SY as that article suggests.

mil_pl 06.22.2012 10:58 AM

So what do ya think of it?

Pookie 06.22.2012 11:00 AM

I like this track a lot. I was really surprised by how good it is.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 06.22.2012 11:07 AM

press(ed) release

Tell Us About Your New Band, THURSTON MOORE!
June 22nd, 2012 at 9:00 am by Nils

FOR IMMEDIATE…mmmmm…RELEASE

(newsflash courtesy of Love Sick Times, free periodical for poets and punks)

This song is called BURROUGHS.
It is by the band CHELSEA LIGHT MOVING.

“Burroughs” MP3 – click me

Members of band:
Thurston Moore (gtr/vocals/songwriter)
Keith Wood (gtr)
Samara Lubelski (bass)
John Moloney (drums)

“Burroughs” is the first track from a session recorded in the wilds of Western Massachusetts in the springtime of 2012. It was inspired by the last words of the gentleman who wrote the most significant experimental novels of the late 20th century (Naked Lunch, Soft Machine, The Ticket That Exploded etc.) – writer William S. Burroughs (“Love? What is it? Most natural painkiller what there is.”). After sitting in the orgone box planted in Burroughs’ back yard of Lawrence, Kansas in the midpoint of the 1990s, Thurston Moore came to the realization that at some point he’d need to form a band that played Burroughs Rock. This is the sound of Wild Boys looking to jack hypos of core passion into their veins. Boy on boy. Girl on girl. Start there. It’s not even music – it’s an amphetamine sonnet for the on-the-loose lovers of the world. Chelsea Light Moving will play your town. Right now we’re playing Friday June 22 2012 at the Sled Island bizarro freak slam in Calgary, Alberta near where Neil Young used to skinny dip when he was a laser-brained teen. Then we play Missoula, hometown of zero pop hate puppy Steve Albini. Then we play Boulder and Denver Colorado before Thurston settles down for a week of teaching at the summer writing workshop at Naropa University. Also on the faculty are Amiri Baraka and Anne Waldman, which means: More tunes, more damage. Another song comes yr way in a week, even sicker.

“Burroughs” was recorded and mixed May 18-20, 2012, by Justin Pizzoferrato at Sonelab, Easthampton, MA.

Upcoming Thurston Moore US dates:
June 24 – Missoula, MT The Top Hat
June 27 – Bouler, CO Boulder Theater
June 29 – Denver, CO Larimer Lounge

noisereductions 06.22.2012 11:32 AM

what worries me is that a new BAND makes it feel like SY is very much over. Like if it was just solo albums that's diff. Y'know? Feels final. :\

rocky 06.22.2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
what worries me is that a new BAND makes it feel like SY is very much over. Like if it was just solo albums that's diff. Y'know? Feels final. :\

Maybe, maybe not! Thurston seems to love songwriting and likely just really wanted to record and release his current songs this year when the paint was properly still a little wet and the feelings feeling right. This year may be a lot more dynamic than we had thought...! I am pretending this was a split single released with Shouts on the other side because, yeah! both songs are overflowing with life, enthusiasm, and "the ineffable" (indescribable)

Lazewski 06.22.2012 11:53 AM

Ever heard of side projects? Exactly what this is.

noisereductions 06.22.2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazewski
Ever heard of side projects?

of course. But a new BAND being formed when primary band is on indefinite hiatus doesn't make me feel all warm n fuzzy about the future of said primary band.

Pookie 06.22.2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Surely the fact that SY have done nothing worth listening to in recent years coupled with the fact that this track is really good makes this nothing but a good thing?

stu666 06.22.2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

of course. But a new BAND being formed when primary band is on indefinite hiatus doesn't make me feel all warm n fuzzy about the future of said primary band.

It's not really a new band though is it? It's the same line-up that he's been touring with and performing his solo stuff for ages...

I really like Burroughs.

stu666 06.23.2012 03:59 AM

_tunic_ 06.23.2012 05:24 AM

so is the planned European tour going to be this band, or the other band?
Wel,, it's the same band, but what are they going to be like?
Still considering whether to go to Antwerp having seen him twice last year, I wasn't too impressed back then with the acoustic stuff. But that was partly caused by him being blasted away by the supports (Branca/Half Japanese resp. Disappears)

hipster_bebop_junkie 06.23.2012 10:43 AM

"Burroughs" sounds to me like an expansion of the same ideas and general dynamics of "Groovy & Linda" as they played it in Mexico City back in April, for instance. At the risk of being wrong, I'd say you can expect certain amounts of massive, electric sound as opposed to acoustic shenanigans, _tunic_. I guess some audience recordings will give us an idea of what to expect before the record's out. Hoping a capture of that show in Alberta will surface soon.

noisereductions 06.23.2012 06:43 PM

I like "Burroughs" I guess. It doesn't sound leapyears away from SY though. Makes me just want a new SY album. That setlist looks like CLM is basically just Male Slut 2.0 then? A band to play T's solo shit?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2012 08:02 PM

it sounds like foo fighters with Head on lead, I don't like it.

Genteel Death 06.23.2012 08:10 PM

It's alright.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 06.23.2012 09:53 PM

I like 'Burroughs' better as a band name.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2012 12:18 AM