Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mix Tapes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4287)

Pookie 07.20.2006 05:42 AM

Mix Tapes

I'm sure this must have been done at some point, on this or the old board, but is anybody interested in swapping mix tapes?

And I mean CASSETTES, not burned CD's or anything else.

I don't know how this would work but I thought I'd see if there's any interest first.

sonicl 07.20.2006 06:03 AM

Depends. Where does one get blank cassette tapes these days?

The last time I wanted to put stuff on a tape I ended up going to a charity shop and buying a Michael Bolton tape for 49p, but when I tried to record over it, Mikey kept leaking through. This is, sadly, a true story.

porkmarras 07.20.2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl

The last time I wanted to put stuff on a tape I ended up going to a charity shop and buying a Michael Bolton tape for 49p, but when I tried to record over it, Mikey kept leaking through. This is, sadly, a true story.

By the way sonicl.It's all morning that i'm trying to upload another part of the Scientists' s tape that you sent me.It's driving me mad.It's a big file for sure(18 minutes and in wav too),so does anyone know of a better net service that allows you to upload big files?Thanks in advance

Pookie 07.20.2006 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl

Woolworth, Sainsbury's, Wilkinson, where I live. Argos (not sure about that one).

I get mine in Wilkinson.

pokkeherrie 07.20.2006 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
By the way sonicl.It's all morning that i'm trying to upload another part of the Scientists' s tape that you sent me.It's driving me mad.It's a big file for sure(18 minutes and in wav too),so does anyone know of a better net service that allows you to upload big files?Thanks in advance

megaupload allows files upto 250 mb.
http://www.megaupload.com

porkmarras 07.20.2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
megaupload allows files upto 250 mb.
http://www.megaupload.com

Excellent,thanks i'll try that one.I don't know what's wrong with yousendit today.

pokkeherrie 07.20.2006 06:34 AM

i think the file you're uploading is just too big for yousendit, because they only allow files upto 100mb. 18 minutes of wav would be around 180mb or so.

Pookie 07.20.2006 06:45 AM

Thanks for reminding me why I specified mix tapes.:p

pokkeherrie 07.20.2006 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Thanks for reminding me why I specified mix tapes.:p

don't blame me, blame pork. he's hijacking every thread! :D

anyway, the sad thing is that i'm not even sure whether i have a working cassette player at the moment. :(

Pookie 07.20.2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
don't blame me, blame pork. he's hijacking every thread! :D

anyway, the sad thing is that i'm not even sure whether i have a working cassette player at the moment. :(

I can't blame porkmarras for anything, he's too lovable.;)

porkmarras 07.20.2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

I can't blame porkmarras for anything, he's too lovable.;)

As you can see i didnt let the conversation go any further that it should have(actually,i have now).Yes i am lovable.Wouldnt you sit me on your shoulders and walk me along the sea?

pokkeherrie 07.20.2006 07:13 AM

i'll think about that and get back to you

Pookie 07.20.2006 07:14 AM

I think the invitation was sent out to me, if anybody's going to give porkmarras a shoulder ride along the sea, it'll be me!

sonicl 07.20.2006 07:15 AM

I don't know, there's far too much frivolity on this board.

Did I say board? Bordello, more like.

Getting back to mix tapes - Yeah, I'm there.

Hip Priest 07.20.2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

I don't know how this would work but I thought I'd see if there's any interest first.

They've been doing this for some time on another forum I use, and this is how it works:

One trusted boardie acts as the hub. He or she recieves a tape from each person involved. They then distribute the tapes randomly, one to each sender. The recipient does not know what the music is on the tape he or she recieves, and does not know whose tape it is. Ideally, each recipient then writes a little review of the tape that they recieved. Going by convention, such a scheme on this board would involve the taping of music OTHER than Sonic Youth. At the start of each 'round', addresses are sent by pm to the organiser and a deadline is set for tapes to arrive.

If one person keeps control, then it means that the tapes distributed are anonymous, and it means that people aren't put in awkward positions (ie they don't have to reveal their address to a board nemesis!).

I suppose to cover postage, a small amount of cash could be sent to the organiser along with the cassette?

That's it, really.

Pookie 07.20.2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
They've been doing this for some time on another forum I use, and this is how it works:

One trusted boardie acts as the hub. He or she recieves a tape from each person involved. They then distribute the tapes randomly, one to each sender. The recipient does not know what the music is on the tape he or she recieves, and does not know whose tape it is. Ideally, each recipient then writes a little review of the tape that they recieved. Going by convention, such a scheme on this board would involve the taping of music OTHER than Sonic Youth. At the start of each 'round', addresses are sent by pm to the organiser and a deadline is set for tapes to arrive.

If one person keeps control, then it means that the tapes distributed are anonymous, and it means that people aren't put in awkward positions (ie they don't have to reveal their address to a board nemesis!).

I suppose to cover postage, a small amount of cash could be sent to the organiser along with the cassette?

That's it, really.

Sounds a good place to start to me. I would happily volunteer to coordinate if enough people were interested.

I'll wait for further interest & whether everybody is ok with the kind of arrangement Hip Priest is suggesting.

pokkeherrie 07.20.2006 07:24 AM

Quote:

I think the invitation was sent out to me, if anybody's going to give porkmarras a shoulder ride along the sea, it'll be me!

i'm very sorry sir!

as for the topic, i'd be interested but as said before i'd have to check my cassette player first. i've been listening to a few old tapes at work not too long ago though.

Toilet & Bowels 07.20.2006 07:29 AM

i buy tapes often in electronics shops

Hip Priest 07.20.2006 07:30 AM

If anyone has trouble finding cassettes, then try a charity shop. Even if there's none for sale, they probably have a ton lying around to be thrown out; imost places won't sell tapes that people have recorded themselves, as it is classed as trading in illegal bootlegs, but such tapes get get donated all the time. If the shop won't sell them to you, they can still give you them in return for a donation.

porkmarras 07.20.2006 07:33 AM

There are loads of small shops that sell blank tapes.They are also particularly cheap in pound shops.