Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Over-rated films (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12254)

MellySingsDoom 04.15.2007 09:03 AM

Over-rated films

So people, what films do you personally find over-rated, in the sense that films that have a "legendary" reputation leave you cold or bored?

Two that come to mind for me are:

1. Flaming Creatures - I saw a screening of this about 8 years ago, and couldn't get my head around how dull it was. Men dragging up and posing/flouncing around? Is that it?

2. Lucifer Rising - I fell asleep through a screening of this (at an all-evening K Anger event). In the moments I woke up, the leaden pace and less-than-stellar visuals on offer sent me back to sleep faster than at a Jesus Franco all-nighter.

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:00 AM

oh, i haven't seen lucifer rising yet, but kenneth anger can be a bit of a sleeper... i'll throw in scorpio rising & inauguration of the pleasure dome into the mix-- however-- there is something wonderful about those images. wasn't that the case w/ lucifer?

same thing w/ brackage, brackage has sent me into the land of morpheus more often than not.

worse even for mathew barney's "cremaster" series; although i did love "drawing restraint 9".

yes sometimes people will hold the value of a work of art because of its difficulty or its hipster aura as if that in itself was a merit. but anyway...

on the other end of the spectrum, the love that otherwise respectable people have for the disastrous mess that is "garden state" has me quite puzzled.

ALIEN ANAL 04.15.2007 11:04 AM

you will obviously disagree with me, but i love nat portman in garden state and fall in love with her character everytime i watch it

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
you will obviously disagree with me, but i love nat portman in garden state and fall in love with her character everytime i watch it

scuse me, i need to go & barf

--

that character is a composite of indie clichés. horrible. you're being fooled by a pretty face. but of course enjoy a pretty face. im not saying you should drool over her. but the movie is shit, the writing is shit, shit shit shit.

Alex's Trip 04.15.2007 11:27 AM

Pulp Fiction was pretty overrated. It was good but it didn't live up the the God like status everyone was making it out to be.

ALIEN ANAL 04.15.2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
scuse me, i need to go & barf

--

that character is a composite of indie clichés. horrible. you're being fooled by a pretty face. but of course enjoy a pretty face. im not saying you should drool over her. but the movie is shit, the writing is shit, shit shit shit.

YOUR WRITING IS SHIT!! :mad:

:p

MellySingsDoom 04.15.2007 11:28 AM

Alex's Trip - Agreed. There's some great moments in it, but it's not that great.

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Pulp Fiction was pretty overrated. It was good but it didn't live up the the God like status everyone was making it out to be.

in 199... something when it came out, it was quite unusual. by now it's so much a part of the culture i think it's novelty has worn off.

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
YOUR WRITING IS SHIT!! :mad:

:p

ha ha ha, sure, you should be grateful then that i don't have the clout to make movies out of it. unfortunately zach braff does-- he should have stuck to acting.

ALIEN ANAL 04.15.2007 11:32 AM

godfather

schizophrenicroom 04.15.2007 11:36 AM

amèlie is boring as hell. i don't even care if i have the accent in the right place, i dislike it so much.

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
amèlie is boring as hell. i don't even care if i have the accent in the right place, i dislike it so much.

i agree, it's too gimmicky, too many obvious camera tricks to "illustrate the point" of the narrative, or whatever it is. i fell asleep the 1st time i tried watching it, i hated it the 2nd time, but the 3rd time it was nice because i was in the right mood-- just nice, not "wow, what a work of arrrrrrrrtttttt"- her pretty & expressive face makes up for a lot of shortcomings i guess.

!@#$%! 04.15.2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
To Pulp Fiction and anything that Tarantino has done , i'd add Pink Flamingoes. Ok movie but not all that.

no!!! porkie!!!!

pink flamingos is divine!!

though i have to say now i like desperate living better.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...entry189_1.jpg

Dead-Air 04.15.2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip

My sentiments exactly.

I feel the same way about Blade Runner too. It's a pretty decent SF movie with nice looking Fritz Lang influenced sets. However, because there are so many shitty SF movies made every year, it gets revered as a sacred text.

The Bjork vehicle Dancer in the Dark was so boring and pretentious my wife and I turned it off.

luxinterior 04.15.2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom

Yeah I fucking hate that movie. Not because it's boring, I mean that's not its biggest problem. I just hate movies that make such an enormous effort to be cute and loveable, which is the reason for so many people liking the movie in the first place. The story itself is nothing exceptional or even interesting. I honestly have a hard time stomaching the praises I keep hearing for this movie. But what pisses me off the most are the people who cannot wrap their tiny little brains around the possibility that someone, in this case myself, may not care for this movie. HOW COULD THAT BE?! they wonder. These are usually people who their whole lives have only watched big Hollywood blockbusters, and then one day they go into the rental store and see this movie in the New Releases or Employee Recommendations section and decide to get it because they've seen everything else in the store, and now they think they're cultured because they've watched some dumb French movie, which happens to be the only French movie in the entire store.

atsonicpark 04.15.2007 03:17 PM

Oldboy is the most overrated film ever. It's good enough, but fuck it was like # 50 on imdb's top 250 for like a year! It's went down a few notches since then but shit...

Alex's Trip 04.15.2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
These are usually people who their whole lives have only watched big Hollywood blockbusters, and then one day they go into the rental store and see this movie in the New Releases or Employee Recommendations section and decide to get it because they've seen everything else in the store, and now they think they're cultured because they've watched some dumb French movie, which happens to be the only French movie in the entire store.

I hate that...

SynthethicalY 04.15.2007 03:24 PM

Toy Story is overrated.

jon boy 04.15.2007 04:15 PM

the sixth sense.

Style 04.15.2007 04:26 PM

Lord of the Rings.

It's just a cgi masturbation fest that just bored me.