Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Concert You Saw This Year ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18463)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.28.2007 04:58 PM

Rat Dogg (February 2007) This was the best show of my life, aside from a crowd full of deadheads, the band was fantastic, nothing better then hearing Estimated Prophet go into an authentic reggae rhythm bridge (they used Marley Natural Mystic rhythm), i went insane at that point being the only Ras in the whole venue.... the rest is all reggae

It was a good year for shows here in Los Angeles, seen a show every other week at least, all big time artists, not any backyard boogies..

I could not believe it at all! but here are the highlights

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus (Dec 12, 2007)
Abyssinians (August 2007 twice)
Burning Spear (Aug 2007 Hollywood Bowl)

Bunny Wailer (February 2007)
Jr Reid (November 2007)
Gladiators (February 2007)
Groundation (September 2007)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.28.2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMMAh
Subhumans. I think that was this year.

you know, that was the first subhumans show I ever missed, and I was actually depressed for days before and after.... I imagine it was as good as they are every year!

PAULYBEE2656 12.28.2007 05:04 PM

liars
the fall
sonic youth
thurston moore
!!!
battles
si schroeder
65 days of static
warlords of pez
lcd soundsystem
and the few minutes i caught of deerhoof.

all in dublin or the electricn picnic festival in co louth

drrrtyboots 12.28.2007 07:48 PM

Lightning Bolt in the garage of an auto parts store. It was completely insane. Aa also played.

dazedcola 12.28.2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Lightning Bolt in the garage of an auto parts store. It was completely insane. Aa also played.

where was that and if you say providence im gonna throw a book through my window

Sonic Youth 37 12.28.2007 08:51 PM

SY at Pitchfork, hands down.

It was amazing beyond words.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.28.2007 11:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2jUZWEx1aA (clip from that RatDog gig)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSzlmr8z1F8 (better audio, this actually is around where i was)

drrrtyboots 12.29.2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazedcola
where was that and if you say providence im gonna throw a book through my window

No, it was in Brooklyn.

Kina 12.29.2007 03:58 AM

Bad Religion at the Hordern Pavilion in November

Everyneurotic 12.29.2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kina
Bad Religion at the Hordern Pavilion in November

i saw them in like april, was a better show than i expected.

HaydenAsche 12.29.2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellscape
I think there seems to be a direct correlation between the best shows I saw and the best drugs I took. The best single show I saw was AMT in Asheville. I also went a African/world music festival in the mountains. We camped way back in the woods and hardly anyone showed but the artist were awesome. Sierre Leone Nation refugees and Diabate damn near brought tears to my eyes and Farke Toure was excellent as well. I also saw Dan Deacon and Girl Talk which I had to say had a much younger and more hyped audience than almost anything I've ever seen. Melt Banana was good, consistent, and the same as usual with new songs. Bonaroo had some highlites(tortoise, hot chip, Ween, Sasha and Digweed(really fucked up for this one), Ween, and Manu Choa.

Yeah. I forgot to mention Deacon and GT. Not really a big fan of their albums myself but the show was fun as hell. Oh, I saw Incubus this year. Don't even ask. It was terrible.

afterthefact 12.29.2007 03:58 PM

The Fall Of Troy hands down... say what you will, the guy can play some guitar.

Everyneurotic 12.29.2007 05:17 PM

yes he can.

too bad their last album is a horrible piece of shit.

lunberg 12.29.2007 06:30 PM

Deerhoof with the Dirty Projectors, Tourcoing France. Too good for words.

HaydenAsche 12.29.2007 07:49 PM

Dirty Projectors are the shit. I saw them open up for Xiu Xiu when they were fucking nobody. The sound guy was being a total fucking dick and the singer was just like "Uh. Fuck you, then." and just kept playing.

Kina 12.29.2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i saw them in like april, was a better show than i expected.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, especially since some people that had seen them told me that they had been mediocre recently, but they were really great in Sydney, they seemed to be glad to be back too. Perhaps they hadn't expected so much support after over a decade of not being here but the crowd was really into it, and so were they.

afterthefact 12.29.2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yes he can.

too bad their last album is a horrible piece of shit.

Everybody says that, and I can see what they mean as far as it not owning up to their other stuff, but it's not HORRIBLE, imo.

Danny Himself 12.29.2007 10:53 PM

Either SY playing Daydream Nation or Dex Romweber and his sister opening for Cat Power (she was upstaged).

pokkeherrie 12.30.2007 07:51 PM

If I have to name just one, then it's definitely Boredoms... easy!
I was so excited to finally see them and yet they were even better than I had imagined.

After that it's more difficult, but both NNCK gigs I saw this year were great too for different reasons. Also saw Circle twice this year. I've yet to see them being less than awesome. Sonic Youth doing Daydream Nation 3 times in London was very good as well; especially the final show, but they were all great. Jazkamer in the full Metal Machine lineup was probably the most spectacular thing I saw this year. AMT & The Melting Paraiso UFO - finally got to see them. Shellac; always worth mentioning, because they only play this part of the world like once ever 3-5 years... so roll on 2010. Boris probably in the top 10 too.

Also Trad Gras och Stenar, Peter Brotzmann Chicago Tentet, Konono No1, The Ex playing a live soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange theater performance... lots of good stuff.

Everyneurotic 12.30.2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kina
Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, especially since some people that had seen them told me that they had been mediocre recently, but they were really great in Sydney, they seemed to be glad to be back too. Perhaps they hadn't expected so much support after over a decade of not being here but the crowd was really into it, and so were they.

did they play with brett when you saw them? because when i saw them it was just brian and greg on guitars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Everybody says that, and I can see what they mean as far as it not owning up to their other stuff, but it's not HORRIBLE, imo.

well, it's good in spots, but my point is that they now sound like simple plan with a very noodly guitar player instead of how they sounded on the first album, like at the drive-in on meth or something. out of context it's ok, but put in perspective of their discography....