Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Guided By Voices (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1469)

Onani Nic 05.03.2006 08:20 AM

Guided By Voices

Sorry to make a typical "I think this band rulz, do you think they are rad?" thread but everytime I listen to Guided By Voices I think shit why dont i listen to this band more often.

I dont know whats so great about this band, maybe just great songwriting and the low-fi production.

I find this band really enjoyable.

Whaddayathink?

Mudride 05.03.2006 10:49 AM

awesome band ! Bob is just a brilliant songwriter.

truncated 05.03.2006 11:50 AM

I hear people say they are overrated, and I vehemently disagree. Consistently good albums. Pollard's side stuff is even more amazing.

Savage Clone 05.03.2006 12:02 PM

I sold a Jandek LP to Bob Pollard a couple weeks ago.
How many "indie points" do I get for that?
It's like a double word score in Scrabble.

Bee Thousand rules.

truncated 05.03.2006 12:05 PM

You're now officially permitted to cuff your jeans at a ridiculous height.

AllHandsOnTheBigOne 05.03.2006 12:42 PM

Good pop. Better than the Beatles.

The production is probably the biggest part of the appeal for me.

hey alex 05.03.2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I sold a Jandek LP to Bob Pollard a couple weeks ago.
How many "indie points" do I get for that?
It's like a double word score in Scrabble.

Bee Thousand rules.

haha, i say you win the pot with that one.

ANd yea, I love GBV. I've only heard their early stuff (up to alien lanes) but I love it. bee thousand is beyond genius IMHO. All those half-song collage pieces work together so well.

Their albums before bee thousand are strange because they actually have full song orientations... it's like on bee they decided to stop finishing writting songs and just cram it all together... a moment of inspired genius.

krastian 05.03.2006 01:42 PM

I love GBV. Check out this DVD if you already haven't.....it's pretty great and long as hell.

RockerNino 05.03.2006 06:28 PM

bee thousand and alien lanes are the shit. im still in the process of collecting a shit load of their stuff. the dvd is good, but near the later hours of the show theyre all just piss drunk. either way, guided by voices were amazing. one of the great 90s bands.

bucklebone 05.04.2006 03:44 PM

I saw GbV eight or nine times. Not only in my (our) hometown of Dayton, but all around these great United States. Pollard is opening for Pearl Jam in Cincy in June and might go just to check out the curiousity.

Ranking of GbV albums and ep's:

1) Bee Thousand (no question)
2) Alien Lanes (though not far behind)
3) Propeller (Quality of Armour, 14 Cheerleader, Large Hearted Boy, etc...)
4) Under the Bushes....
5) Do the Collapse (gets a lot of shit for overproduction, but I like it. Very catchy pop from the dial-flipping of Ric Ocasek).
6) Hold on Hope (ep) excellent pop from 1st to last track)
7) Shocker in Gloomtown (ep) not the right name, but it came out right before Bee 1000. Real great stuff.
8) Sunfish Holy Breakfast - Just because it has "If We Wait" on it. Classic GbV
9) Live at the Lounge Ax 1995 (bootleg) First, because I was there. Second because so was Kim Deal and she sang on Shocker in Gloomtown and Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory, and because it was right before Alien Lanes came out while it still had the working title of Scalping the Guru. And they did a bunch of great Alien Lanes songs before anyone else had heard them.
10) all the rest...it's all good stuff.

ZEROpumpkins 05.06.2007 04:03 AM

Bump, as I bought Alien Lanes today. I liked it on the first listen.

Everyneurotic 05.06.2007 04:07 AM

and all the sadness it implies, i've tasted with my own two eyes.

ZEROpumpkins 05.06.2007 04:16 AM

See this picture on my screen, do you know where you have been?

Tell me where that's from.

Toilet & Bowels 05.06.2007 06:14 AM

i love gbv, i'm in the process of aquiring as much gbv and pollard/sprout related stuff as i can

jon boy 05.06.2007 06:16 AM

i saw them at a festival one year and they where as dull as hell. pollard was doing high kicks, not a pretty site.

Toilet & Bowels 05.06.2007 08:39 AM

yeah, when i saw them live they were rubbish too

ZEROpumpkins 05.07.2007 03:32 AM

Really? I thought they'd be good live. It'd probably be way higher fi than their recordings. Mind you, they are a lot older now (and disbanded).

Toilet & Bowels 05.07.2007 05:20 AM

when i saw them (2003) they sounded like a garage band version of oasis, they played for about 2 and a half hours aswell, which was far too long.

this was the gig http://www.gbvdb.com/album.asp?albumid=1338

jon boy 05.07.2007 01:47 PM

yeah when i saw them they went on and on and on and on. i went and got something to eat and came back and they where still at it.

ZEROpumpkins 08.01.2007 06:36 AM

Bump. I bought Bee Thousand a coupla months ago and forgot to post it. Fucking love it. Excellect excellent and consistant album. I ordered Vampire on Titus and it should be here next week. I also taught myself to play every song on Bee Thousand on guitar. It's pretty easy. I'd also like to know what everyone's favourite GBV songs are. I suppose mine would be Tractor Rape chain or Game of Pricks.