Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   anyone else used to watch batman: the animated series? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40382)

Derek 07.06.2010 05:39 AM

anyone else used to watch batman: the animated series?

I was an obsessive Batman fan when I was a kid (I played out the tapes in those Tim Burton movies till they just withered away...) and I used to love to watch the old 90s cartoons of it.

I'm rewatching them and fuck, they STILL stand up. I didn't realise just how dark and bleak some of the episodes were... the two part episode with Clayface is fucked up, I'm surprised this was a kids show!

dionysusundone 07.06.2010 08:47 AM

Yeah I watched it when I was a kid. I watched some eps with a friend who had the DVD collection and was surprised how dark and weird it was. I was pretty jealous of him for having the set actually, but fuck me if I'm gonna drop a hundred something bux on one for myself!

Derek 07.06.2010 10:36 AM

You could easily torrent it or just get the single volumes, they're quite cheap.

Rob Instigator 07.06.2010 10:46 AM

I used to watch those when my brother told me thy were dope. They had great stories for a cartoon. I dug them. They were quality batman.

jon boy 07.06.2010 11:00 AM

i thought it was pretty good, there where some dark moments in it which i liked for a saturday morning kids show.

Derek 07.06.2010 11:14 AM

There are also some episodes I thought were really boring as a kid that now I find extremely involving...

Did anyone like this?:

It was just like a full length feature of the series which went into a more introspective look of Bruce Wayne.

Rob Instigator 07.06.2010 11:34 AM

i dug that one!

DeadDiscoDildo 07.06.2010 12:02 PM

Phantasm is great. It's better than some of the live action batman movies...

Some hardcore batman fans like it better than batman begins haha

dale_gribble 07.06.2010 12:20 PM

that show was amazing, i think i have 3 seasons.

Derek 07.06.2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Phantasm is great. It's better than some of the live action batman movies...

Some hardcore batman fans like it better than batman begins haha

I like it better than Batman Begins! In fact I like it better than all of them except the 2 Tim Burton ones.

atsonicpark 07.06.2010 05:43 PM

I have all 3 volumes and the animated movie. They are the first DVD's I ever bought. Got all 3 volumes at a pawn shop for $15 a piece, $45 overall. The show went downhill when it started having Robin too much. Also, as usual, Bane was wasted. Still, the characterization can't be beat. I like how they animated against black backgrounds to get that super distinct look.

Batman 1966 and Batman 1989 are my two favorite Batman things besides the animated series. The Dark Knight is pretty cool. All the other movies have their moments but meh.

EVOLghost 07.06.2010 05:46 PM

Hell yeah animated series was fucking aweswome.

atsonicpark 07.06.2010 05:49 PM

The Clock King is my favorite character in the animated series. They kinda went overboard with the Joker, who was a pussy and voiced by Mark Hamill. Anyway...

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4713..._x264_Complete

What's funny is, I am downloading Batman (the 1966 series with Adam West) as we speak.

I think Batman Begins is awful. So boring. Dark Knight was good though. Batman's my favorite superhero ever.

deflinus 07.06.2010 09:42 PM

i was huge fan of this show. very influential
i loved the character design and overall art. i thought it was pretty sick

pbradley 07.06.2010 11:28 PM

"Beware the Grey Ghost" is my favorite episode.

atsonicpark 07.07.2010 12:35 AM

Yes! That one has Adam West! Haha!

My favorite is probably the origin of Clayface.. or the one where the Riddler has Robin playing a virtual game.. or any of the Clock King ones, the Mad Hatter ones are good too. The Two-Face origin also.

It's really amazing how well that show handled characterization; so fucking dead-on (even when they made some changes to not make it as dark -- still pretty fucking dark though!). Also, anyone notice that the credits sequence never say "Batman"? (I think the later ones do though, the ones known as "THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN AND ROBIN")

Fucking awesome snes game based on this show btw.