Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   beavis and butthead (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43242)

flashlight69 11.30.2010 11:05 PM

beavis and butthead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XsS4...eature=related

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 03:31 AM

Best show ever. I have every episode on dvd, and watch em all the time. Mike Judge fucked up the dvd release by not trying to get more music videos and for cutting 55 episodes from the sets (and editing many of the existing episodes). He said he was embarassed by the early episodes.. many of which was his best work.

Thanks for the link, btw.

flashlight69 12.01.2010 12:25 PM

i loughed a bit, it was funny

" 2 dollars to see sonic youth ? sounds like a big deal"
(these days you pay 22-30 € i think. donīt get me wrong still not expensive.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 12:29 PM

how come King of the Hill blows?

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 12:33 PM

It doesn't. King of the Hill is amazing, probably the most consistently great long running show ever. 13 seasons and not a dull moment. A work of true genius.

I mean, if you compare it to Family Guy, American Dad.. well, you can't. Those shows are horrible. Compare it to even the Simpsons -- which, while not as bad as most people would try to convince you it is, only had probably 8 GREAT seasons. Even shows like Ren and Stimpy had 1 good season, MAYBE 2. I'm not even going to mention South Park, which is lame as hell. "Let's take one unfunny simple obvious joke and stretch it for 20 minutes."

And to think of King of the Hill, with 13 great seasons. It just blows my mind. They never betrayed their convictions, never dumbed down their plots and characters for the average viewer. When I was younger, I thought the show was boring.. too dry. Now that I've actually went out and lived my life, met the kinds of people that frequent the KOTH world, I see the show as a true work of art.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 12:36 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that Mike Judge is one of the most brilliant men in entertainment. Office Space -- while overrated -- is great. EXTRACT and IDIOCRACY are a bit long winded but hit their marks often enough to be reccomendable. They're very clever, even if they're not always, y'know, GOOD. His ANIMATION SHOW festival was awesome, I caught it every year (though I think it's over now). I highly reccomend those DVD's. Finally, The Goode Family never got the chance to shine -- in a lot of ways, it was the anti-King of the Hill. It had some devastatingly brilliant dialogue and scenes but, again, it only had like 9 episodes before it was yanked.

Too bad he's had such an awful year, with KOTH and Goode Family cancelled, and Extract was a HUGE bomb. He's bringing back Beavis N Butthead apparently, which could be brilliant, though their surprise cameo in Jackass 3D didn't inspire much hope in me.

Either way, as a mainstream entertainer, Mike Judge has been one of the few who has subverted normality and has actually done new, exciting, interesting things (PFFR, I think, are the kings of that, with Xavier, Delocated, and Wonder Showzen, amongst other awesome projects). There aren't too many people like that, so even if he does something that doesn't completely excite me (like Idiocracy), I still am going to support it.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It doesn't. King of the Hill is amazing, probably the most consistently great long running show ever. 13 seasons and not a dull moment. A work of true genius.

I disagree. It's a matter of taste of course. But I really disagree. I can't stand that show.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:13 PM

So, do you disagree? Or disagree? Haha. Do you enjoy repetition? So, do you disagree? Or disagree? Haha. Do you enjoy repetition? Anyway.. Any particular reason you don't like such a well-written, well-made, brilliant, hilarious show? It's just such a real show; that first season was one of the most subversize, genius works of art ever realized in the history of television.

I will say, I don't like Futurama very much. I don't know too many people who LOVE it, but most people at least like it. I guess a few episodes are alright, but that's one I just can't get into. I also HATE South Park, but a lot of people do now.

I think people who really like King of the Hill tend to know characters like those in King of the Hill. I'm surrounded by fast talking chain smoking hicks who sell propane and propane accessories. Haha. So I can relate.

It's a show that isn't concerned with pop culture bullshit like Family Guy, it tells real stories. It's unique. It's... I dunno, it's just great. So much depth.

Regardless of all that -- have you seen Delocated? That is EASILY the best show on television, currently. It's like a mockumentary type thing, about a guy who has a reality show, but he's also on the witness protection program. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like that one. Funniest fucking show I've seen in years. Goddamn. I laugh so hard I cry!

noisereductions 12.01.2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Uh, alright... any particular reason you don't like such a well-written, well-made, brilliant, hilarious show?

It's just not my sense of humor I guess. I really don't care if it's "well written" or "well made" ... I've watched AT LEAST 20 full episodes, and didn't laugh. So it didn't do its job. Didn't entertain me. I can't really get too philosophical about WHY I don't like it. But it doesn't do anything for me.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Regardless of all that -- have you seen Delocated? That is EASILY the best show on television, currently. It's like a mockumentary type thing, about a guy who has a reality show, but he's also on the witness protection program. I have yet to meet someone who didn't like that one. Funniest fucking show I've seen in years. Goddamn. I laugh so hard I cry!

I have not. I generally like Mike Judge's work BTW. Just not KOTH.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:18 PM

Regarding the depth thing... I literally feel nothing when watching most American mainstream animated shows (especially those on Adult Swim!), KING OF THE HILL makes me feel. The Simpsons have had episodes where I really felt something (the one with Homer's mom, the one where the family thought Homer was going to die), which is something that is hard to do... to create "lifeless" drawings on paper and instill it with a sense of real human emotion.

Also, the atmosphere of the show is, at times, like a Jon Jost film or The Straight Story or something! i love that.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

So, do you disagree? Or disagree? Haha. Do you enjoy repetition? So, do you disagree? Or disagree? Haha. Do you enjoy repetition?

yes

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:20 PM

As far as an entertainment goes, I think South Park is one of the least entertaining shows in the history of television. Now, the early stuff with the cut-out animation was kinda neat to watch I guess, but nowadays, they can do a whole episode in a few hours. And it makes you realize how empty and lifeless the show really is. Even as insane as the show is, constantly throwing nonsequiters and fart jokes at the audience, it is boring as hell.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Regarding the depth thing... I literally feel nothing when watching most American mainstream animated shows (especially those on Adult Swim!), KING OF THE HILL makes me feel. The Simpsons have had episodes where I really felt something (the one with Homer's mom, the one where the family thought Homer was going to die), which is something that is hard to do... to create "lifeless" drawings on paper and instill it with a sense of real human emotion.

Also, the atmosphere of the show is, at times, like a Jon Jost film or The Straight Story or something! i love that.

I understand. My wife cannot even watch the eposide with Homer's mom honestly.

But yeah whatever, KOTH just didn't make me feel anything. It is what it is. There's plenty of stuff that I probably "feel" that a lot of people don't get.

noisereductions 12.01.2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

As far as an entertainment goes, I think South Park is one of the least entertaining shows in the history of television. Now, the early stuff with the cut-out animation was kinda neat to watch I guess, but nowadays, they can do a whole episode in a few hours. And it makes you realize how empty and lifeless the show really is. Even as insane as the show is, constantly throwing nonsequiters and fart jokes at the audience, it is boring as hell.

agreed 100% agreed 100%

hevusa 12.01.2010 01:24 PM

KOTH is a piece of shit. wow.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:26 PM

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:27 PM

I don't think many other people like KOHT, noisereductions -- well, plenty of people watched it, because the ratings have always been really good on Fox, Adult Swim, and in syndication. But no one's bought any of the DVD's, because season 7 dVD was supposed to come out like 3 years ago, and there's no plans in sight to release the last seasons.

atsonicpark 12.01.2010 01:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIdKzKA2GY = mike judge's the honky problem

hevusa 12.01.2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

I don't think many other people like KOHT, noisereductions -- well, plenty of people watched it, because the ratings have always been really good on Fox, Adult Swim, and in syndication. But no one's bought any of the DVD's, because season 7 dVD was supposed to come out like 3 years ago, and there's no plans in sight to release the last seasons.

Because the show sucks. It had decent ratings because it was in the string of the other good animated shows (tag-along).