Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Fall and Sonic Youth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1514)

Thurston Hunger 05.04.2006 03:31 PM

The Fall and Sonic Youth

Do SY fans generally like The Fall?

Is the SY Peel session of Fall songs highly rated here?

Any other Fall/SY connections anyone knows of?:o

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.04.2006 04:56 PM

honestly Ive only heard one song by the fall. it was alright.

Thurston Hunger 05.04.2006 04:58 PM

They are the greatest band in the world. Give them a go!

Glice 05.04.2006 05:00 PM

They really are the greatest band in the world, that is true.

Hip Priest 05.04.2006 05:13 PM

The Fall are indeed generally untouchable. Wonderful. etc etc.

Hip Priest 05.04.2006 05:14 PM

Another thing.

On the old board there was a thread to find people's other favourite band (and I did a poll here). The Fall were by far and away the winners on the old thread.

There's not as much SY love on The Fall forum though, which is interesting.

schizophrenicroom 05.04.2006 06:29 PM

i love them.

hey alex 05.04.2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest

i don't imagine much of any kind of love from fall fans if they'r elike MES. (i kid)

noisemachine 05.04.2006 10:47 PM

I have that one compilation 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong (or something like that). I like a lot of the stuff but I can't really get into some of it. Maybe I need to listen to it more?

xpresswaytoyrskull 05.04.2006 10:47 PM

Just read an interview with Mark E. Smith today where he mentions how disgusted he is with bands these days citing his music as an influence (i. e. Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand). Then he goes into those like Sonic Youth or Henry Rollins. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that he would not even shake Sonic Youth's hands and Rollins is a madman.

I Looooooooove The Fall and I also love Sonic Youth (Rather Ripped withstanding). Mark E. Smith's opinions don't make much difference to me (except the part about hating Bloc Party and FF, I hate them as well) as long as the music is good. I'm so excited to finally see the Fall. This Sunday at 8PM I'll be getting drunk with Mark E. Smith!!!!

noisemachine 05.04.2006 11:03 PM

What a douche. I hate it when bands feel so fucking high and mighty that nobody can call them an influence. They should consider it an honor that so many successful bands love their music and are influenced by them. Even if you dont like the band, so what? Just be happy that people like you.

sonicl 05.05.2006 12:22 AM

4 Tunna Brix (the Fall covers EP) is excellent. As are The Fall.

Mark E Smith, on the other hand, seems to be a total dickhead, but The Fall probably wouldn't be half the band they are if he wasn't.

Thurston Hunger 05.05.2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest

...but 99 people so far have voted for their favourite SY album in this poll

Sister and Daydream Nation are by far the most popular.

Hip Priest 05.05.2006 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thurston Hunger
...but 99 people so far have voted for their favourite SY album in this poll

Sister and Daydream Nation are by far the most popular.

True, true. There are a few SY fans there, no question. But in a general sense, the love for The Fall here is regularly stated by many. Look at the last lot of posts in the Sonic Youth. One poor soul (with an excellent signiature!) seems to be updating the thread, sometimes without any response at all.

:cool:

MES is appearing on the Rollins show soon, am I right? Maybe differences will be sorted on air.

:eek:

Glice 05.05.2006 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisemachine
What a douche. I hate it when bands feel so fucking high and mighty that nobody can call them an influence. They should consider it an honor that so many successful bands love their music and are influenced by them. Even if you dont like the band, so what? Just be happy that people like you.

C'mon, it really wouldn't be the Fall is he went around saying, "It's really nice that people like our music, I'm just glad that we've reached out there and touched people's hearts". Part of the thing with the Fall is that their not like other bands, they've produced tonnes and tonnes of stuff and very little low-grade material, probably because he's a cynical old bastard (who used to be a cynical young bastard) who won't ever stop working and being good... incomparable to anyone else of this or any other era.

*Edit: Apologies for the slushy rhetoric, I haven't slept much.

nancykitten 05.05.2006 07:05 AM

God bless The Fall.

Fox 05.05.2006 11:35 AM

I have two Fall CDs, the last one and a compilation called Totally Wired and I like both

m^a(t)h 05.05.2006 11:59 AM

I dont like the Fall so no...

kenning 05.05.2006 12:24 PM

Mark E. Smith needs to be viewed in context--I think the more you understand about British culture, the more you can appreciate his gripes. In the early and mid eighties, The Fall made some of the best records in the world and they totally stand the test of time. Their later output was very spotty--but I'm an ugly American who's spent a lot of time trying to figure out the appeal of, say, a band like Oasis (again, I think you had to be there, or even be from there).

The best classic Fall record is This Nation's Saving Grace. Any American Sonic Youth fan who can't find a way to love that record is deaf. The best recent one is The Real New Fall Album. "Contraflow" is an instant classic.

lucyrulesok 05.05.2006 02:47 PM

heh, you didnt have to be there for oasis, they just sucked (they are, unfortunately, part of the soundtrack of my childhood, and i still cant bring myself to like them)
i love the fall, and though mark e smith can be a bit high and mighty he certainly makes the band what it is.
stupidly i went to see them and got so high on drugs all i can remember is one image of mes and one sound, which is sort of a crunchy boom