Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Live Band (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34834)

finfoom 09.21.2009 09:19 AM

Best Live Band

Whats the best live band you've heard perform?
I went to a Chilli Peppers concert and the Toadies opened they rocked the house !!

viewtiful_alan 09.21.2009 09:44 AM

The motherfucking Stooges.

Satan 09.21.2009 09:46 AM

the stooges

awesome color

Trasher02 09.21.2009 10:04 AM

The Jesus Lizard

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2009 10:14 AM

the best live bands I have seen include:
GROUNDATION IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST CONTEMPORARY LIVE BAND OF ANY GENRE, PERIOD.

Sonic Youth
Israel Vibrations backed by the Roots Radics
Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus
Burning Spear
the Abyssinians

Subhumans (greatest punk shows ever)
deftones fucked me up a few times

recently the Dead Weather broke me off with some heavy shit..

BUT we all know that the absolute, hands-down, single greatest live music machine to ever grace any and every stage is the one, the only, the legendary Grateful Dead

"There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpotbntmy
Nope.

I see.. go catch a show and see for yrself, youtube does live music NO justice ;)

actually I forgot to add this group which blows me away EVERY time.. in fact they are taking the trophy of groundation, and they just might swoop on the dead one of these days..

Midnite

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcpotbntmy
It was a joke.

finfoom 09.21.2009 11:40 AM

I will mention Godsmack - I dont like them but got to give them props they sounded really good live

Toilet & Bowels 09.21.2009 12:19 PM

the three best live bands i've ever seen are (in no order) Melt Banana, No Neck Blues Band, Art Ensemble of Chicago

chicka 09.21.2009 02:53 PM

Rolling Stones - 1976 But for one and only one song I saw Ricky Lee Jones doing Coolsville. They killed all the lights in the place she started the song and slow they brought up a spotlight on her and the piano and she absolutely killed it vocally.

TheMadcapLaughs 09.21.2009 03:51 PM

q and not u at coachella the year the pixes played was incredible (i wasn't even a big fan)
iron maiden was great(obvious epicness)
mf doom at the independent many years ago(before i knew his stuff real well, he put the mic down in front of me for the chorus and i had no idea what to say! i just put my hands up in ignorance. oh man.
sonic youth in sacto on the rather ripped tour, ripped me a noisy asshole

Derek 09.21.2009 04:05 PM

Shellac.

So tight and brilliant. They really know how to put on a show.

Sonic Youth 37 09.21.2009 04:09 PM

Loudest: My Bloody Valentine
Most fun: Misfits
Most awkward: Silver Jews
Best (muscianship wise): Tied between Jesus Lizard and Deerhoof

Derek 09.21.2009 04:11 PM

My Bloody Valentine were so loud that it sort of curbed my enjoyment. It got to a point where it was so loud that I couldn't really take in the sound... but maybe that was the point!

Sonic Youth 37 09.21.2009 04:12 PM

During YMMR, that is the point. I was right in front of Kevin at an indoor venue and found it to be the perfect volume at which to enjoy the songs.

Derek 09.21.2009 04:14 PM

I was in the same position you were actually. I couldn't really take in the songs at any point, it took me awhile to figure out which Loveless track I was hearing.

Sonic Youth 37 09.21.2009 04:15 PM

I have trouble telling them apart anyway. I find now that I can't listen to the albums or my recording of the show unless it's a deafening volume.

Zombie Robot 09.21.2009 04:32 PM

Best (muscianship wise): SY!
Loudest: Dinosaur Jr./ Boredoms/ Melvins
Most fun: Violent Femmes/ Pavement/ Beck
Honorable mentions for a combo of above: Mudhoney/ L7/ Butthole Surfers

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.21.2009 08:41 PM

the loudest show I ever saw was Shannon Wright/Sleater-Kinney at the Highland 2002. that shit was literally ridiculous. I was deaf for the night, ringing solid for three days. me and my girlfriend were shouting at each other full volume on hollywood blvd..

atsonicpark 09.21.2009 08:56 PM

SHELLAC, Melt Banana, Puppy vs Dyslexia, and Polysics all blew my mind live, more than any other band, for different reasons.

PUPPY VS DYSLEXIA, in particular.. saw them 3 times throughout 2 years and each time was completely different. One time, they had a superfat woman dressed as a fairy reading children's stories in between songs while the band improvised in the background and if she didnt' like what they were doing, she'd press a red button that beeped LOUDLY and they started playing an actual song for a while (I guess... it didn't sound improvised any more) and then she'd press the button again and start reading.

Another time, the entire set was the main guy beating on a floor tom SLOWLY for 20 minutes and chanting while the rest of the band just made sick, disgusting, low-frequency noises. Suddenly, the drummer (with the full set, not the floor tom) does the "drum click" thing (you know, clicks his sticks together 3 times) and they go completely insane, playing fast as fuck and breaking all their equipment and throwing it into the audience and shit and just destroying EVERYTHING. For about a minute. And then the set ended.

Then I saw them again and they played really weird pop, like Pixies but weird...