Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post pictures of your most beat-up shoes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33847)

gmku 08.23.2009 09:45 AM

Post pictures of your most beat-up shoes

Or, testify to your peasant status by posting pictures of your disgusting canvas shoes you can't replace because you are too broke and/or attached to aforementioned disgusting article.

My 11-year-old blue Converse lows.

ploesj 08.23.2009 10:34 AM

i'll take one when i get home. yours don't look too bad..

gmku 08.23.2009 10:52 AM

My wife refused to be seen in public with me in them, so they don't have 11 years of actual wear. I can only wear them sans esposa.

ploesj 08.23.2009 11:07 AM

my five year old converse have holes so big you can always see what socks i'm wearing.

gmku 08.23.2009 11:13 AM

I'd like mine to get there. I think they don't look their best until they're falling apart.

demonrail666 08.23.2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ploesj
my five year old converse have holes so big you can always see what socks i'm wearing.

you can afford socks? how bourgeois is that?!?

TheFoxBen 08.23.2009 11:52 AM

Sonic Youth 37 08.23.2009 12:25 PM

These Chucks are 5 years old with almost constant wear for 3 of those years. That hole has been Shoe Goo'd shut for about a year.

gmku 08.23.2009 12:34 PM

Nice!

& what's shoe goo?

Sonic Youth 37 08.23.2009 12:40 PM

Chiefly used nowadays among skateboarders to extend the life of their shoes.

terriblecanyons 08.23.2009 12:45 PM

Gaping holes in the sides...

^^There's rust forming on the right one from a guitar string...

I honestly don't know how they're still in one piece.

pinkstation 08.23.2009 12:52 PM

i have to rep you just for those shoes

ive never seen anything more badass

notyourfiend 08.23.2009 12:54 PM

terriblecanyons - those are really neat shoes!

terriblecanyons 08.23.2009 12:54 PM

Thanks :D I've had them since I was 14 or 15... I used to get bored and draw all over them.

Satan 08.23.2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

Chiefly used nowadays among skateboarders to extend the life of their shoes.

hey is that stuff really strong (like stronger than superglue)? i need to glue the wedge back on one of my shoes.

Sonic Youth 37 08.23.2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
hey is that stuff really strong (like stronger than superglue)? i need to glue the wedge back on one of my shoes.

Yeah. It's about $5 a tube. It will hold great, but you have to let it cure for 24 hours and it's very very gooey (obvious phrase is obvious).

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.23.2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Or, testify to your peasant status by posting pictures of your disgusting canvas shoes you can't replace because you are too broke and/or attached to aforementioned disgusting article.

My 11-year-old blue Converse lows.

i'm from the old school.. O.G. (original garvey) rbg fo life and I wouldn't be caught dead like kurt cobain in a pair of fucked up shoes, especially chucks.. I have to get a new pair with the first scuff! strictly shinin like two-tones from the zoot-suit days.. in my community yo folks will check your ass for strollin up in some beat up ass kicks and clown you back to the shoe city..

terriblecanyons 08.23.2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
i'm from the old school.. O.G. (original garvey) rbg fo life and I wouldn't be caught dead like kurt cobain in a pair of fucked up shoes, especially chucks.. I have to get a new pair with the first scuff! strictly shinin like two-tones from the zoot-suit days.. in my community yo folks will check your ass for strollin up in some beat up ass kicks and clown you back to the shoe city..

Good for you :3
I don't even wear my beat up shoes anymore. They're painful to walk in.

floatingslowly 08.23.2009 02:33 PM

5 year old hemp NRTN's.

they've been through Barcelona, New York, ice, mud, paint, countless filthy shows and countless yard mowings. although I have newer adidas, I still wear these just about every day.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.23.2009 02:35 PM

this thread just keeps on managing to offend me. buy some new shoes people! "whats wrong with you!" (Kurt Cobain Live!Tonight!SoldOut!)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.23.2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan

no, shoe goo does not work like that. for skateboarding what you do with shoe goo is you make a protective layer over the side and toe that has been worn away from skating.. in all honesty it does not hold together busted shoes very well, but there is NOTHING else out there that you can use to fix the problem of a well used skate shoe.

floatingslowly 08.23.2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
this thread just keeps on managing to offend me. buy some new shoes people! "whats wrong with you!" (Kurt Cobain Live!Tonight!SoldOut!)

I have new shoes! but what's wrong with these if they still work?!

Sonic Youth 37 08.23.2009 02:41 PM

^I've never had a problem with it gluing shoes back together. I know you're talking about it's intended use, but it can be used for anything. Hell, I've used it to hold leather belts together.

gmku 08.23.2009 03:35 PM

SuchFriends, either get with the spirit of the thread, which is to post pix of fucked up shoes, or get out.

floatingslowly 08.23.2009 03:53 PM

I think that it's extremely poor taste to show up to help the homeless in two-toned zoot-suit shoes. SHAME ON YOU, SHOEFIENDSAREDANGEROUS.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.23.2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
SuchFriends, either get with the spirit of the thread, which is to post pix of fucked up shoes, or get out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I think that it's extremely poor taste to show up to help the homeless in two-toned zoot-suit shoes. SHAME ON YOU, SHOEFIENDSAREDANGEROUS.

I see you have never been on LA skid row before.. those motherfuckers got flyer fucking kicks than me! This dude had a pair of bad ass chucks I wanted to straight rob him for! Dudes floss bad ass brand new kicks all over the row! whuch you know bout that shit son? sounds like you know as much bout it as those fools on the row live for which is, "straight nothin"

some folks get them donated, others just take care of their shit and news flash, not everyone who is 'technically' homeless is as broke as you might be thinking. A lot of people are hanging out on skid row cuz they live in a shelter or cheap motel but don't have enough income to pay real rent and you can't kick it in the momo or the shelter, so they have nowhere else to go but outside on the row where they post up. I have met a lot of folks who had a relative amount of money to spend on things like shoes, but just could never afford rent.

phoenix 08.24.2009 12:23 AM

my shoes will own this thread. I have ONE pair of shoes that are less than 3 years old that I wear on any remote basis.. I just stopped wearing my onestars last year, they were 11 yrs old. the skater vans were retired about 3 years before that, but only because my heel wore through the back. My boots are kind of badass the more they get fucked up, so I dont mind as long as they stay on my feet. There is a lot of gaff and glue involved.

pbradley 08.24.2009 12:32 AM

Patton Oswald is one of the few good American comedians left.

amerikangod 08.24.2009 12:50 AM

Seriously? You guys aren't even competition for any pair of shoes I've owned for more than two months.

EVOLghost 08.24.2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
my shoes will own this thread. I have ONE pair of shoes that are less than 3 years old that I wear on any remote basis.. I just stopped wearing my onestars last year, they were 11 yrs old. the skater vans were retired about 3 years before that, but only because my heel wore through the back. My boots are kind of badass the more they get fucked up, so I dont mind as long as they stay on my feet. There is a lot of gaff and glue involved.

pics or it didn't happen.

phoenix 08.24.2009 01:28 AM

I was taking them!

my other boots are in the car, they are about the same as the first pair as far as damage goes, but they are only a year old.

quality repair job with black or silver gaf. to repair holes, tears, and breaks.

this is a crappy pic but it was kind of hard to take a good one, it's just the mess of glue that is all around the front of both of them from sticking the soles back down

more gaf. both tongues are completely gaffed or they wouldn't be attached anymore, and the same for the whole ankle area where the laces get wrapped around and tied. you can kind of see the treat on the other one too and where it's worn down.

phoenix 08.24.2009 01:29 AM

my every day 'dress' shoes... that boy shape broke yesterday by stepping on my heel :( aside from that they were in pretty good shape, they'd split on the bottom of the sole and the strap had come off before, but the top half was okay. I'd actually dubbin'd them about two weeks ago.

my old cons. gross. there are holes in the back of them, but the suede is surprisingly in good shape. the rubber is not.

whole manky sole part comes off

phoenix 08.24.2009 01:29 AM

my most worn 'good dress' shoes. they used to be black black.

my old docs that I dont even wear anymore because there are too many little holes in the leather all over the front. They are okay as far as docs go. They used to be black patent leather, the coating is gone from the front and they are somewhat less shiny everywhere else.

gmku 08.24.2009 12:51 PM

Noticed the sole of one of my cons is coming undone near the heel. Does superglue work to reattach this?

terriblecanyons 08.24.2009 12:55 PM

I'd use gorilla glue, gmku.

gmku 08.24.2009 12:56 PM

Don't know what that is.

EDIT: Never mind. The Inter nets told me.

Rob Instigator 08.24.2009 01:27 PM

is this really what we have been reduced to talking about on this Uber-boring Monday? Damn.

mofuckin shoes.

floatingslowly 08.24.2009 01:31 PM

actually, this was "sunday", space cowboy.

the board is deader than fuck though.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.24.2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
chucks only tend to only look good when they are old/worn.

I believe these gentlemen would like to have a word with you about that comment ;)

ask Rob what they said to him when he dissed ironed levis..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
ironed jeans are for rednecks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I call cholo fucks redneck hicks as well. they're just city hicks,.

EVOLghost 08.24.2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
(pix of beat up shoes)

Ahh...kk. You shoes owned this thead.

now here are my chucks. Goin' to be 6 years now?