Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SY Found Daniel Johnston? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25053)

o'connor 09.01.2008 06:56 PM

SY Found Daniel Johnston?

so i was reading bout mr. johnston and it said:

"During a tour with Sonic Youth, Daniel was arrested for scrawling the Jesus Fish across the inside of The Statue of Liberty. As he finished painting the inside, Daniel was seen wandering the streets of New York City. Eventually, after spending hours driving around the city, he was located by the members of Sonic Youth. "

anybody know anything more about this? i bet it's a hilarious story.

Cantankerous 09.01.2008 06:57 PM

yeah, he got arrested and he had to be saved by them. they found him in jersey i think.

o'connor 09.01.2008 07:20 PM

next time i bump into SY after a show i'm totally asking them to tell me teh story. i want details f'sho!

Pookie 09.01.2008 07:27 PM

I too bet it's an hilarious story.

And indeed he was found wearing a jersey with a fish on it.

Danny Himself 09.01.2008 07:31 PM

The whole story is pretty troubling. Watch The Devil And Daniel Johnston to get the full scoop on this.

That article is all wrong though. He wasn't touring with SY, he was in New York to record with Mo Tucker, among others, and to play a few shows, which Steve set up. They took him around NY to see the sights, which is how he came to be arrested/fined for drawing all those fish on the stairwell of the statue of liberty. As his mental problems grew more and more worrying, Daniel disappeared. Steve was freaked out. Eventually Lee and Thurston found him after driving around for hours, and they put him on a bus home to his parents house. Of course, Daniel got off the bus at the wrong stop and was arrested for some other crime which had something to do with chasing an old woman out of a second-floor window because of demons.

al shabbray 09.01.2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I too bet it's an hilarious story.

And indeed he was found wearing a jersey with a fish on it.

a real fish????? or printed?

hiland 09.01.2008 07:47 PM

watch the movie
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
there's some crazy ass home movies of SY driving around NY searching for daniel.

MellySingsDoom 09.01.2008 07:58 PM

Christ, that doesn't sound anything less than horrible. Poor Daniel.

o'connor 09.01.2008 08:14 PM

yeah he's a crazy fuck. an awesome crazy fuck.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.01.2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
The whole story is pretty troubling. Watch The Devil And Daniel Johnston to get the full scoop on this.

That article is all wrong though. He wasn't touring with SY, he was in New York to record with Mo Tucker, among others, and to play a few shows, which Steve set up. They took him around NY to see the sights, which is how he came to be arrested/fined for drawing all those fish on the stairwell of the statue of liberty. As his mental problems grew more and more worrying, Daniel disappeared. Steve was freaked out. Eventually Lee and Thurston found him after driving around for hours, and they put him on a bus home to his parents house. Of course, Daniel got off the bus at the wrong stop and was arrested for some other crime which had something to do with chasing an old woman out of a second-floor window because of demons.

Yeah, it was actually very scary.

Everyneurotic 09.01.2008 09:24 PM

he was a crazy awesome fuck, now he's just a crazy old fucker who has absolutely no idea why people seem to like him.

o'connor 09.02.2008 12:03 AM

co-sign

atsonicpark 09.02.2008 01:05 AM

mm hmm

pbradley 09.02.2008 01:12 AM

I think the story about him purposefully crashing the plane he and his father were in is a bit scarier.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.02.2008 01:28 AM

Yeah that one was really freaky.

diskaholic-anonymous 09.02.2008 11:03 AM

In 1993, Johnston painted a mural of the "Hi, How Are You?" frog, also known as Jeremiah the Innocent after the Three Dog Night song, on the side of Sound Exchange in Austin, Texas:

Johnston has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.