Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2013" thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85990)

h8kurdt 04.28.2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Check out the new iceage though. Surprisingly well designed and dynamic for a modern day punk record. Better than the first record, all things considered.

Can't stop listening to this album now.

louder 04.29.2013 02:39 AM

These arms they never reach
Far enough
These shoulders never strike wide enough
These teeth they never cut
Deep enough in
My skin
To be someone like you
Unable to face basal demands
To be someone like you
Unable to carry
Life's weight

Broken promise
Where's your morals
In this cursed realm
Where hides Jesus

If I could
Leave my body then I would
Bleed into a lake
Dashing away
Disappear

Where's your morals
Where's your morals
Where's your morals
Where's your morals

chocolate_ladyland 05.01.2013 01:15 AM

Looking forward to this Savages band

pad_023 05.07.2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
Looking forward to this Savages band

I am really dubious about that band. Everything about them seems so carefully constructed by their PR team. The slot at David Lynch's club, the massive feature on them on Pitchfork, playing Jools Holland without having released an album, they clearly have some friends in pretty high places. From what I have heard they don't seem to be any better than your standard run of the mill post punk band.

Anyway the new Barn Owl is good, one of my favourite releases from this year. It sounds like a shoegaze version of Earth.

https://soundcloud.com/thrilljockey/...he-long-shadow

Torn Curtain 05.07.2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad_023
From what I have heard they don't seem to be any better than your standard run of the mill post punk band.

Seconded.

EvdWee 05.08.2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

I am really dubious about that band. Everything about them seems so carefully constructed by their PR team. The slot at David Lynch's club, the massive feature on them on Pitchfork, playing Jools Holland without having released an album, they clearly have some friends in pretty high places. From what I have heard they don't seem to be any better than your standard run of the mill post punk band.

i've seen them live 3 times: OFF festival (poland), Into the Great Wide Open (NL) and EKKO, Utrecht (NL). On all occasions is must say the blew me away. Not that it has not been done before, but they are just really overwhelming live. Try to see them if you have the opportunity.
About their PR: I sense that is not just the PR team but themselves aswell. I have driven them around at the Into The Great Wide Open festival and was impressed by the way they focus on their performance/music.

batreleaser 05.09.2013 07:30 PM

Savages' sound is pretty simple but that doesn't mean it's bad.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.09.2013 07:47 PM

In Film Sound

Shannon Wright.

been streaming it for weeks, I love this album, thrashy yet with a touch of elegance. its weird how she progresses yet keeps her distinctions.

h8kurdt 05.10.2013 06:49 PM

Digging this album a fair bit. It gets compared to Thom Yorkes Eraser but I think that s lazy comparison. It's bleek that's for sure.

Mortte Jousimo 05.10.2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
In Film Sound

Shannon Wright.

been streaming it for weeks, I love this album, thrashy yet with a touch of elegance. its weird how she progresses yet keeps her distinctions.

This sounds to me like a little bit heavier version from P J Harvey. Not bad though.

guest 05.11.2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Anyway the new Barn Owl is good, one of my favourite releases from this year. It sounds like a shoegaze version of Earth.

https://soundcloud.com/thrilljockey/...he-long-shadow

completely agree with everything in this post re: both savages and barn owl. the former seem to be really bland, both musically and aesthetically. I know the purpose is minimalism, but fucking hell, there are bands other than wire out there. they already did it, and they reached unattainable levels of innovation and therefore are afforded an indelible respect, so why does anyone even bother? savages' music may be 'confrontational', but it is in no way challenging, and as such it negates any impact it may have had.

guest 05.16.2013 05:02 AM

eMego are absolutely on fire of late. seriously everything coming out on the label recently has been fantastic: sensate focus, locust, CoH, alan licht, ensemble skalectrik, evol, gravtemple reissues...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.16.2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This sounds to me like a little bit heavier version from P J Harvey. Not bad though.

You might also like this then:

Mortte Jousimo 05.17.2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
You might also like this then:

Shannon seems to have a lots of same spirit in his music as PJ and also John Parish have. But on the other hand she´s got nothing to add that what Pj and John already give me.

chocolate_ladyland 05.17.2013 11:35 AM

batreleaser 05.17.2013 04:52 PM

I love the Var album (the Scandanivan punk super group_

pad_023 05.20.2013 12:24 PM

Two great noise rawwwkkkk records from this year and some old dudes making psychdelic blues.

Sightings - Terribly Well
Black Pus - All My Relations
Endless Boogie - Long Island

guest 05.21.2013 08:44 AM

did not realise sightings put out a new record, will have to get on that.

endless boogie are so sick, live they kick arse like no other.

also:

1991 - high tech high life

batreleaser 05.21.2013 09:26 AM

I dig the new Sightings. The new Wolf Eyes is their best in a long time.

Looking forward to To Live and Shave in LA's three hour long "The Grief that Shrieked to Multiply." Some others I can't remember right now but I'll get back to it.

Derek 05.21.2013 11:07 AM

https://soundcloud.com/tobydriver/ka...do-teaser#play

new kayo dot teaser

also the these new puritans record is great, i love how they've went from a kind of dumb british post-punk band to a total chamber music art rock collective