Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Washing Machine - Lee kills (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39902)

SonikJesus 05.23.2010 02:05 PM

Washing Machine - Lee kills

seriously. Lee owns all on this song.

Genteel Death 05.23.2010 02:23 PM

Agreed.

cagedbird 05.23.2010 03:21 PM

Lee? Can you explain?

the ikara cult 05.23.2010 05:21 PM

He owns all on Saucer Like and Skip Tracer.
Someone asked me who my favourite singer was the other day, and alot of the "vocalists" i like dont really sing. But Lee R was one of the singers that came to me.

atsonicpark 05.23.2010 05:29 PM

I think Washing Machine, musically, is their best song, with maybe Rain on Tin and Cross the Breeze being up there too.

the ikara cult 05.23.2010 05:42 PM

I see Washing MAchine (the song) as being like Full Metal Jacket.

The first bit of Washing machine is kinda forgettable for me, it doesnt do very much (like the second half of Full Metal Jacket)

However the second bit of Washing Machine is absolute magic, and encapsulates something very special (as does the first half of Full Metal Jacket).

I dont think washing machine is like Rain on Tin or Cross The Breeze at all because you couldnt have washing machine without the punky bit at the start whereas the other two are complete from start to finish.

atsonicpark 05.23.2010 05:57 PM

I didn't say they were similar, just that, to me, they are the most musically godheaded things they've done.

Though now that you mention it, I guess all those songs do have distinctly different parts in them that seem at odds with the rest of the song a bit (but not in a bad way), like the intro of Rain they never return to, the fast part in Cross the Breeze that doesn't go with the intro and the verses as much (again, not in a bad way! It's brilliant!!), and they're all pretty long by SY standards. Guess I hadn't thought of that.

the ikara cult 05.23.2010 06:12 PM

I mean that Rain on tin and Cross the breeze sound more organic, like they grew from the same place, branched out, and resolved themselves at the same root. Washing machine is more of a transplant (in a good way)

Magic Wheel Memory 05.23.2010 08:04 PM

I don't know if Lee owns it, but it's one of their most unique and awesome songs! I love the whole thing, start to finish (especially the finish), and it's one of their best uses of three guitars in one song. And it might be even better live. I wish they would bring it back.

SonikJesus 05.24.2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
I don't know if Lee owns it, but it's one of their most unique and awesome songs! I love the whole thing, start to finish (especially the finish), and it's one of their best uses of three guitars in one song. And it might be even better live. I wish they would bring it back.

I thought that too. Then I actually paid attention to Lee's part. So good. Especially the more subtler parts where he's harder to hear. Really shows Lee's genius.

Bal 05.25.2010 06:28 AM

I Kinda agree, but i also love thurstons solo in that song.
when he comes in its one of my favourite sy moments EVER !!!

nicfit 05.25.2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
I Kinda agree, but i also love thurstons solo in that song.
when he comes in its one of my favourite sy moments EVER !!!

SGnaaaaaaaaaauwwwww----sgnananana na na uuuuuuw-------sgnaaaa-------na nana na naaawwwww--- zwuuuz, teno-na-nauu, zkhkhzkhzkhkhkh zaawwww - teno na naaawww

etc.

Bal 05.25.2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
SGnaaaaaaaaaauwwwww----sgnananana na na uuuuuuw-------sgnaaaa-------na nana na naaawwwww--- zwuuuz, teno-na-nauu, zkhkhzkhzkhkhkh zaawwww - teno na naaawww

etc.

EXACTLY! :D

scott v 05.25.2010 01:33 PM

with the mu-tron wah vacuum cleaner sound?

Jeremy 05.26.2010 01:39 AM

Lee's parts on The Diamond Sea are fucking rad.... Washing Machine as a whole has some of SY's coolest guitar parts.

~Jeremy~

atsonicpark 05.26.2010 01:48 AM