Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Polvo this fall (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=53961)

Jeremy 06.30.2011 12:41 PM

New Polvo this fall

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/st...catalog_id=817

So the 7-inch single Heavy Detour comes out in late July, and the new record is due out in the fall. Considering how good In Prism was, this is definitely something to get excited about.

~Jeremy~

The Watcher 06.30.2011 01:23 PM

Yes!!! That is fucking AWESOME news Jeremy, I'm gonna say I like In Prism as much (or possibly more) than some of their other critially acclaimed records - I saw them last summer and they killed it live, so I'm really excited about this.

auto-aim 06.30.2011 02:17 PM

sweet!

hevusa 06.30.2011 02:24 PM

Ash Bowie is god

pad_023 06.30.2011 02:28 PM

Nice.

Hopefully they'll play the UK later this year then.

The Watcher 07.01.2011 07:16 PM

My gooooogling skills can't uncover a leak for this song, what a shame...... I would very much like to hear it?

Either way I'm psyched for this record, I really thought In Prism was an incredible effort. My friend who I went to the show with hadn't even heard the record and most people went mute for the new songs compared to the old ones......

Jeremy 07.01.2011 07:53 PM

I haven't been able to find it either, unfortunately. I imagine it will be available for listening within the next couple weeks on Merge's site.... That's usually how they do these things. I do know, though, that the b-side is called "Anchoress".

I'd kill to be able to see them like you did. I can't ever see them playing Las Vegas, but they have played California and every time I've had other things and couldn't go. I'm hoping this tour I'll finally see them.

~Jeremy~

the ikara cult 07.02.2011 01:44 PM

In Prism was great, its nice to see a band i was too young to get into at the time get back together and not disgrace themselves. If theres one thing their new material could do with it would be some rougher guitar noise, but im nitpicking, the songwriting was top quality.

barrett 07.05.2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I haven't been able to find it either, unfortunately. I imagine it will be available for listening within the next couple weeks on Merge's site.... That's usually how they do these things. I do know, though, that the b-side is called "Anchoress".

I'd kill to be able to see them like you did. I can't ever see them playing Las Vegas, but they have played California and every time I've had other things and couldn't go. I'm hoping this tour I'll finally see them.

~Jeremy~

I've heard the songs. HD is a Dave song, and Anchoress is an Ash Bowie tune, which sounds fucking great.

The Watcher 07.05.2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
If theres one thing their new material could do with it would be some rougher guitar noise, but im nitpicking, the songwriting was top quality.

I think In Prism displays an excellent maturity and above all excellent guitar tone, I don't think there's any reason for over the top noise theatrics...... just my opinion though........

barrett 07.05.2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watcher
I think In Prism displays an excellent maturity and above all excellent guitar tone, I don't think there's any reason for over the top noise theatrics...... just my opinion though........

Over the top or not, have you ever watched Ash Bowie play guitar from a five foot distance? unbelievable, he could do no wrong, at least the times when I saw them.

narlus 07.06.2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

agreed. i thought it was their best album to date, and i've been on board since hte Kitchen Puff 2x7 debut.

The Watcher 07.06.2011 07:49 AM

Every time I hear In Prism I want to know what effects he's using so I can copy them and then purchase the same amp he has..... when I saw them live I couldn't see his pedalboard :(

the ikara cult 07.06.2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

I dont think they ever traded in theatrics, They just recorded in a certain way that gave their guitars this sharp, jarring quality that was lost on In Prism. Im not a musician so i dont give a toss about pedals or anything like that, and perhaps In Prism is the way they always intended to sound but they didnt have the recording budget to do so, but i hope they make it a little less clean on the new one.

barrett 07.06.2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Every time I hear In Prism I want to know what effects he's using so I can copy them and then purchase the same amp he has..... when I saw them live I couldn't see his pedalboard :(

He mainly uses Carl Martin effects and a Silvertone amplifier

Jeremy 07.06.2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett
I've heard the songs. HD is a Dave song, and Anchoress is an Ash Bowie tune, which sounds fucking great.

The single is a Dave song? Didn't see that one coming.

~Jeremy~

barrett 07.06.2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

The single is a Dave song? Didn't see that one coming.

~Jeremy~

More like a double A side.

Jeremy 07.09.2011 06:30 PM

Haven't found the songs yet, but found previews to both songs:

http://ie.7digital.com/artists/polvo...b-w-anchoress/

~Jeremy~

The Watcher 07.10.2011 09:04 AM

Weirdly symphonic....... I don't love the Heavy Detour preview it but I'm not making any assumptions based on some samples - Anchoress sounded great though!!

rappard 07.10.2011 04:53 PM

Hell yeah! Also: seeing and taping them on August 8th - even more psyched now, as they'll probably play some of the new stuff.

Jeremy 07.11.2011 03:09 AM

You know, it's pretty interesting; I'm not really too into either song just yet. But as mentioned, they are just brief samples.

I didn't like Beggar's Bowl too much when it was sent out, but that grew on me. I'm sure these songs, or at least Anchoress, surely will.

Rappard: Please share that taping with us!

~Jeremy~

rappard 07.11.2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Rappard: Please share that taping with us!
~Jeremy~

Of course! Did I ever sendspace my 12/16/09 recording?

Jeremy 07.11.2011 07:46 AM

I don't recall you posting it, but I'd love to hear it if you still have it!

~Jeremy~

atsonicpark 07.14.2011 10:05 PM

Can't wait. I love polvo.

"I make it hard for you, don't I?"

Great band.

Jeremy 07.14.2011 10:12 PM

Merge is streaming Heavy Detour here: http://www.mergerecords.com/blog/201...h-out-july-26/

I like the song way better already. If you pre-order it, they said they will send you the demo of Anchoress, still haven't found that one just yet though.

~Jeremy~

Torn Curtain 07.15.2011 09:17 AM

I really can't get into Polvo, I don't get the appeal (I think they sound like the "cliché" Sonic Youth-inspired band with their harmonics and all that). EDIT: and I usally love harmonics but in Polvo I don't enjoy it.

atsonicpark 07.15.2011 09:38 AM

you really don't like the CELEBRATE THE NEW DARK AGE ep, at least? I probably couldn't live without that opening track in my life.. so good.

Torn Curtain 07.15.2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
you really don't like the CELEBRATE THE NEW DARK AGE ep, at least? I probably couldn't live without that opening track in my life.. so good.

I haven't listened to it (I think I mainly listened to Today's Active Lifestyles and Shapes as they seem to be favourites here), I'll check it out (samples on allmusicguide seem to be more "up my alley" indeed :))

atsonicpark 07.15.2011 10:00 AM

OHH... SHAPES is definitely not a favorite. Heheheh.

Today's... is though, so hm.

They're a cool band but I could see someone not getting into them. But that ep I mentioned is what really made me appreciate how multilayered/complex their sound is.

Derek 07.15.2011 12:25 PM

Polvo don't really sound much like Sonic Youth to me, or at least, they don't sound as much as I figured they would be after all the comparisons.

The Watcher 07.15.2011 12:25 PM

Never dug Shapes. Love everything else. I don't think stylistically there's much of a SY connection, it's the "out" guitar playing that keeps my interest. They could be instrumental for all I care and I'd like them as much.

It's harder to find the immediate appeal of Polvo than a lot of other, similar bands. The stuff that gets stuck in my head are the bizarre riffs, and it takes my brain a few hours to process - like the next day I'll start humming a tune that at the time didn't stick. Bizarre.

Jeremy 09.18.2011 12:14 AM

So a guy is seeding a 2011 show on dimeadozen and the new stuff sounds great. In particular, there's an 8 minute Ash song which I think will go down as one of their best songs ever.

They also brought Leaf back of all songs and now Lazy Comet sounds completely different, for better or worse.

So excited for this record.

~Jeremy~

barrett 09.18.2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

So a guy is seeding a 2011 show on dimeadozen and the new stuff sounds great. In particular, there's an 8 minute Ash song which I think will go down as one of their best songs ever.

They also brought Leaf back of all songs and now Lazy Comet sounds completely different, for better or worse.

So excited for this record.

~Jeremy~

Can you put it somewhere besides Dime? If you have the time, that would make my week. I've actually heard that new eight minute Ash Bowie song; I thought the same thing as you stated. POLVO is in fine form

barrett 09.18.2011 03:12 AM

I love everything they've done, even Shapes(love it). I think that Exploded Drawing would have been way better if Bob Weston didn't record it. It sounds muddy, and not twangy enough for POLVO. If you listen to 1996 bootlegs, they catabolize the record. Tis still excellent though.

rappard 09.18.2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett
Can you put it somewhere besides Dime? If you have the time, that would make my week. I've actually heard that new eight minute Ash Bowie song; I thought the same thing as you stated. POLVO is in fine form.

Uploading my recording now, should be done in 2 hours (1 GB zip). Will then update this post with the link.

Update: http://wtrns.fr/J6j8ZAy9Nk3RoE. Have at it!

Jeremy 09.18.2011 08:13 AM

Holy shit that was you who uploaded it rappard. Thanks a lot for recording it! It's a great show.

If for whatever reason aliens invade his house and kidnap him before it's done, I'll upload it for your barrett. By the way, I want to know what 1996 bootlegs you're listening to; I've found very little from that timeframe. ;)

~Jeremy~

Beautiful Plateau 09.19.2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Considering how good In Prism was, this is definitely something to get excited about.

~Jeremy~

word

ribbon around a bomb 09.22.2011 03:01 AM

what's with the string accompaniment??

Garrudae 09.22.2011 08:46 PM

New Polvo this fall

Man, I thought I found a new cool puzzle. Oh well, I am still hoping to get some other pictures to find out for sure what this puzzle is. Probably after Christmas. I will let you know if I find out anything else. I havent received any replies lately to my questions so who knows.

barrett 10.14.2011 08:23 PM

I have one from my home town of Cincinnati, OH. Their van broke down in Indianapolis so the didn't start until well after midnight. They made up for it very much so.
I have a few others. I'm busy right now, but soon I'll work out something to send you every show I got though. I have at least twenty shows total.
That new one from: rappard is indeed fucking amazing, they were fucking on point that night.