Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   R.I.P Chris Cornell (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=114997)

h8kurdt 05.18.2017 03:50 AM

R.I.P Chris Cornell

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...r-dies-aged-52

Gutted, just gutted. His voice, especially on Superunknown was just something else. The fact that he seemed happy touring with Soundgarden again makes it worse.

tesla69 05.18.2017 06:03 AM

I still enjoy listening to early Soundgarden, they were a very solid hard rock band...sad to hear this.

EDIT: CBS radio at 7 am reporting this was a suicide

louder 05.18.2017 06:30 AM

RIP. :( Listening to Superunknown right now..

THE DAY I TRIED TO LIVE hit me pretty hard.

noisereductions 05.18.2017 07:08 AM

just heard this. Just wow. So sad.

Rob Instigator 05.18.2017 08:31 AM

Ultramega OK and louder Than Love were my shits. Being investigated as a possible suicide. He had just played a soundgarden gig in Detroit last night. crazy. shit.

noisereductions 05.18.2017 08:50 AM

I thought of you right away Rob. I remember you repping those albums often.

It's so weird though right? Feels like there was never any drama w/ him. He had a fairly successful solo career. He had success w/ Audioslave. He did the Temple Of The Dog reunion last year and Soundgarden reunion this year. He was on tour ! If it was a suicide, it's even more shocking than if it was just unexpected natural causes.

Either way - very, very sad.

h8kurdt 05.18.2017 09:11 AM

Totally. On his Twitter feed he seemed to be in high spirits and enjoying the tour too.

noisereductions 05.18.2017 10:06 AM

damn, I just read that the Singles soundtrack album is coming out tomorrow. It's got a whole second disc of rare and unreleased stuff from Chris Cornell, Mudhoney, Westerberg, even the Citizen Dick stuff...

Severian 05.18.2017 10:14 AM

He also did that (awful) cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2U" to honor the Purple One and, it seemed, to mourn the unnecessary loss of a talented and gifted artist to self-destricrive impulses.

Cornell has been around a lot of this. Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and I suppose Scott Weiland counts somehow too, despite not being part of the "scene," as they were peers in some respects.
I also never thought of Cornell as a particularly tormented person. I'm not aware of any struggles wth drugs. I'm just kind of baffled.

His music has been consistently terrible since Soundgarden broke up the first time, but the band was a sturdy one. They managed to strike the balance that Alice In Chains couldn't (because they were too schlock-metaly), of stoner rock, basement punk, classic rock and pseudo-experimental studio tinkering. With pretty goddamn sweet results actually. Their early albums were solid butt-punk-rock, and their major label releases were all pretty good. I actually like Down on the Upside quite a bit. "Blow up the Outside World" and "Pretty Noose" were good. Superunknown was excellent, especially "Blow up the Outside World."

Sad and weird. Has there ever been a regional scene more plagued by self-destruction than Seattle's? From Hendrix to Cornell. It's pretty astounding/shocking/terrible.

RIP Chris Cornell. :(

noisereductions 05.18.2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
His music has been consistently terrible since Soundgarden broke up the first time,

I never even listened to Audioslave myself. But I liked his first solo album quite a bit. And the cover of "Billy Jean" later was cool.

Rob Instigator 05.18.2017 11:01 AM

Cornell has been "clean" since around 2004. He was a heavy drinker and heroin user for years after Soundgarden broke up. (probably because of shit-ass Audioslave). the sad thing is he has three kids 8-13 yrs of age.

greenlight 05.18.2017 02:09 PM

just red it and little bit in shock. he looked to be o.k. guy with no issues. weird. RIP.

Rob Instigator 05.18.2017 02:13 PM

Depression is invisible.

h8kurdt 05.18.2017 03:47 PM

It's been confirmed as suicide. Supposedly he hung himself in the bathroom. Saddest bit is on the last song of the night he sang a verse from Zeppelin's In My Time Of Dying

'In my time of dying, I want nobody to mourn.
All I want for you to do is take my body home.
Well, well, well, so I can die easy.'

Man, that just breaks my heart a little bit more.

noisereductions 05.18.2017 03:49 PM

jeez. Ugh.

Screaming Skull 05.18.2017 03:59 PM

Love 'em or hate 'em, this tribute from Dave Mustaine is sincere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqMVNlPHE8

Severian 05.18.2017 04:13 PM

I just saw a Newsweek article that said "After Chris Cornell's death, fans are praying desperately to keep Eddie Vedder safe."

:(

What the fuck.

Like the worst part of this is that grunge is in jeopardy? That there might be a shortage of 40-something alt rock frontmen from the '90s? That seems really fucked up to me. I mean, a man killed himself. Musician or not, that sucks for reasons that have nothing to do with the preservation of an era of rock music.

Not that I want any harm to come to Eddie Vedder, but the safety of alt-rock dudes is far from the takeaway here.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Rob Instigator 05.18.2017 04:14 PM

indeed.

Musicians are all in the same family, touring, recording, playing endless gigs to fans....

tesla69 05.18.2017 05:41 PM

from the AP:
Cornell, who grew up in Seattle, said he started using drugs at age 13 and was kicked out of school at 15.
"I went from being a daily drug user at 13 to having bad drug experiences and quitting drugs by the time I was 14 and then not having any friends until the time I was 16," he told Rolling Stone in 1994. "There was about two years where I was more or less agoraphobic and didn't deal with anybody, didn't talk to anybody, didn't have any friends at all. All the friends that I had were still (messed) up with drugs and were people that I didn't really have anything in common with."
But at 16 he grew serious about music, learning to play the drums while also working as a busboy and dishwasher.

alcohol seemed to be an ongoing issue and there was a reference to a pipe...

just seems needless...

noisereductions 05.18.2017 07:04 PM

listening to this. So good. RIP.