Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Destroyed Room is a 79:33 minutes long release (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7740)

nicfit 11.07.2006 07:17 AM

Buh, I quite like it, mainly because it reminds me of NYC G&F booklet's inner pages, and I love those. Now I'll celebrate with a new avatar.

toxic johnny 11.07.2006 08:11 AM

I like it...
The Destroyed Room - Jeff Wall 1978

'My first pictures like The Destroyed Room emerged from a re-encounter with nineteenth-century art', Wall has said. Here, the work in question is The Death of Sardanapalus (1827) by Eugène Delacroix, which depicts the Assyrian monarch on his deathbed, commanding the destruction of his possessions and slaughter of his concubines in a last act of defiance against invading armies.
Wall echoes Delacroix's composition, with its central sweeping diagonal and sumptuous palette of blood reds, while acknowledging its staged atmosphere by re-composing the scene as a roughly fabricated stage-set, absent of any players. 'Through the door you can see that it's only a set held up by supports, that this is not a real space, this is no-one's house,' he has commented. Though clearly a woman's bedroom, the cause of the violence is unexplained, leaving the viewer to speculate on the sequence of events.

toxic johnny 11.07.2006 08:17 AM

The Death of Sardanapalus - Eugène Delacroix 1827

porkmarras 11.07.2006 08:27 AM

Thanks for that Toxic Johnny!

toxic johnny 11.07.2006 02:38 PM

My guess is that the photograph was the original inspiration for the song... or they saw the title and decided to use it... so they are merely revealing the source by using it on the sleeve of the compilation... not being throwaway or too literal as some people have mentioned.

I'm willing to bet on it.

snare_boy 11.08.2006 03:26 AM

i also assumed they titled their song (which for some reason is NOT on the album) coz it's a photo reflectting the band's taste in art. one of a million, to be exact :)

Hip Priest 11.08.2006 05:19 AM

I like the fact that the delicate figurine still stands safely in place, aloof and unaffected by the chaos surrounding it. It suggests that the room was destroyed in a deliberate and almost controlled act, as though someone was searching for some hidden item rather than through anger.

porkmarras 11.08.2006 05:29 AM

It is not only a good image but also a disburbing one on a par with this one:

The feeling that violence or mental illness inhabited the room is quite powerful.

Hip Priest 11.08.2006 05:33 AM

I was kind of thinking of mental illness or paranoia, or something along those lines. Searching for something that's entirely in the mind of the searcher.

Hip Priest 11.08.2006 05:38 AM

porkmarras: your dancing cat reminds me of the character Cat Kit from Rakuga Kids, a silly beat-em-up game on the N64. He had a taunt very similar to that.

porkmarras 11.08.2006 05:44 AM

haha.Thanks Hip Priest.I've found the image particularly affecting because it reminds me of going to see a friend who has some anger management problems and takes it out on the furniture of his flat.Spotting the odd door missing or something smashed and left on the floor makes me feel slightly uncomfortable round his,sometimes.

whorefrost 11.08.2006 06:29 AM

the destroyed room - as an expression of frustration this isn't wholly invalid

PAULYBEE2656 11.08.2006 03:15 PM

the destroyed room- a dirty era b side reworking of an old goo era instrumental, they put a kim vocal on it and ruined the song hence the bedroom became the destroyed room......

not making a point just randomly posting...........

greenlight 12.03.2006 03:18 PM

*edit*

Androol 12.10.2006 02:21 AM

ok just started it and fire engine dream is completely kicking my ass right now.

EvdWee 12.10.2006 07:48 AM

it is here for a listen (free)

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/32000940

static-harmony 12.10.2006 01:33 PM

Thanks for the link.

val-holla-ing 12.10.2006 05:32 PM

we got the album at the radio station i work for, and i seem to remember it being a band photo on the cover. i was a bit drunk when i saw it, though, so i could be wrong.

pokkeherrie 12.14.2006 11:46 AM

maybe your radio station has a promo copy? there's a band photo (with jim o'rourke) on the back. i saw it in the shops yesterday, but didn't buy it yet.

against_the_grain 12.18.2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snare_boy
I took all my SY mp3s and created a folder with TDR tracks in its original tracklisting order, so by my windows media player it says the album will be 79 minutes and 33 seconds (where 3 of the 12 tracks will take around 60% of the album..).

the destroyed room- a dirty era b side reworking of an old goo era instrumental, they put a kim vocal on it and ruined the song hence the bedroom became the destroyed room......

not making a point just randomly posting...........

The above 'extra' quote is by Paulbeebee ..sp ?...

Anyway...I just got this cd. There are only 11 tracks on it....it doesn't have "It's my body" the the originial thread starter says is on it.....

He said it was 79+ minutes and mine is 76+ minutes....It's my body is 2:52...so there's the discrepancy. Does anyone know what happened ? Where's the error ? In the intial tracklist ?

I already have it's my body on, I think, the Goo deluxe edition...so I won't miss it...but I wonder why they left it off....hmmmm...

And....The Bedroom was supposed to be on it...with added vocals ?....I don't quite understand....

Anyone help ?...thanx...