Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café IV (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110922)

louder 01.01.2015 02:42 AM

louder's hip-hop café IV

for the new year, here's a new Kanye West song with no one else than Paul McCartney playing the piano: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/on...ey/id955053780

louder 01.01.2015 02:49 AM

this song is beautiful.. not the bombastic production you'd expect from Kanye, but really intimate and emotional. i got chills when i realized it's from his mother's perspective. Kanye singing "tell Nori about me" at the end really reminded me of Paul. seems like this is gonna be the album that EVERYONE will like.

louder 01.01.2015 11:11 AM

h8kurdt 01.01.2015 12:57 PM

Hmm I love Kanye, but on a song like this he should've stayed away from the auto-tune. Especially on that last part. Can't fault him for doing a song like this though.

h8kurdt 01.01.2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Great picture though.

noisereductions 01.01.2015 01:29 PM

I don't know if I love the song right now. Will need s'more listens.

louder 01.01.2015 02:03 PM

pretty much every song on Yeezus is better if you ask me (EDIT: okay just listened to it a few more times, gonna have to take it back). however i'm fond of the introspective direction he's taking. we still don't know shit about the album yet though so we'll see.

louder 01.01.2015 02:53 PM

"i talked to god about you, he sent you an angel and look at all that he gave you, you ask for one and you got two".

"and if you knew how proud i was, you'd never shed a tear, have a fear, no you wouldn't do that".

FUCKING KANYE WEST

noisereductions 01.01.2015 07:51 PM

yeah. I mean, if the new album is like this - it makes sense conceptually. Yeezus was so over the top debauchery. It's like, he made his bachelor party album. A last crazy hurrah of sex and drugs and shit talk before calming down w/ the fam. Maybe?

Severian 01.01.2015 09:11 PM

No, I don't think that was what Yeezus was, honestly. To me it felt more like a last journal entry. Nothing (and I mean absofuckinglutely nothing) on Yeezus, not even "Send it Up," sounds like a party to me. To me it's like he was confronting some fears, taking mushrooms in the dark, getting primal scream crazy.

But I famously read too much into these things.

Re: “ONLY ONR”: WOW! Fucking motherfucker waits all goddamn year to release a new song, and when it drops on the last possible day of the year, it feels like every other single of 2014 was just a preamble.

Great, great, great song. Ridiculously sad... But totally worthy of Sir Paul. Thanks louder.

noisereductions 01.01.2015 09:22 PM

see, I think that My Beautiful Dark Twisted was that more. It was a sort of "I hate myself album." On there he asks "what's worse? The pain or the hangover?" Yet, I feel like Yeezus was the party before the hangover. Except of course "Bound 2" which would be a lead-in to the next album. I think.

Severian 01.01.2015 09:29 PM

I love this song. If you ask me if would work great as a non-album single. But since McCartney's supposed to contribute to "several songs" from the next album, this might not even be a good representation of the kind of work they're doing together. Who knows how the other songs will sound? But for now, this feels like a fitting stand alone single.

Love the auto-tune. Tastefully used. Keeps it fresh. Sounds crisp and very clear. Like a freaking Stevie Wonder song or something. God damn. Way to start the year. :)

louder 01.02.2015 05:34 AM

holy shit, SEVERAL songs? this might be the "Black Beatle" album.. i'm starting to shake just thinking about the potential of it.

louder 01.02.2015 08:07 AM

by the way, i don't think we've discussed Kendrick's performance on The Colbert Show a few weeks ago, where he debuted a new Untitled track: http://pitchfork.com/news/57867-kend...olbert-report/

fucking amazing. Kanye and Kendrick are truly the only things i NEED this year.

Severian 01.02.2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

by the way, i don't think we've discussed Kendrick's performance on The Colbert Show a few weeks ago, where he debuted a new Untitled track: http://pitchfork.com/news/57867-kend...olbert-report/

fucking amazing. Kanye and Kendrick are truly the only things i NEED this year.

Yeah, I'm feeling that way too. Kendrick's new album is going to be HUGE of course. I doubt that it will leave room in the headlines for Lil Wayne. This is how things work. Kendrick is in an excellent position. I think he may very well redefine the culture in a way that only one artist does each decade or so.

Kanye is a fixture, and I think his ability to consistently make the perfect album at the perfect moment will help him meet and surpass any level of critical/fan expectation, no matter how lofty. Commercial success isn't even something Ye needs anymore. But I'm pretty sure he'll still do just fine sales wise.

I think the time for Lil Wayne has passed though. I mean, is anyone even thinking about Carter V anymore? I hate to say it, but I think Weezy and Niki are both quickly becoming caricatures of themselves. Soon they'll be relics.

But tbh, I'm much more interested in Ye, Kendrick & A$AP. Let's not forget about ol' Rocky naow.

Severian 01.02.2015 07:40 PM

Oh hey, anyone else listen to the new Fabolous joint?

I'm hearing all kinds of smack talking about it, but it's incredibly fucking proper. I couldnt hate on that opening track if I tried! He should have waited until 2015. Now I've gotta re-jigger my fucking hip hop albums list for 2014 AGAIN.
(Yeah, I say it's that good.)

On a side note, I'd love to see a proper LP from Young Thug drop this year. Enough hype, ok? And how 'bout no more mixtapes for a while? Just fucking give us what we want! Young Thug, solo, getting crazy on a proper album.

Severian 01.02.2015 07:43 PM

Also I think Black Messiah might have been my #2 album of 2014. What a fucking masterpiece. Shit. It reminds me a little of Sign O' the Times (my favorite Prince album) though I couldn't say why. It's just real. Organic. Human. Powerful. It's a goddamn brilliant album, and it's up there with Syro and Bécs and A U R O R A for pure, raw emotional power.

Sorry to change topics like some kind of douche.

noisereductions 01.02.2015 07:59 PM

#catching up...

oddly I was listening to Carter IV today. I'm still curious about Carter V. But man... we haven't had like top form Weezy in a long time. No Ceilings is probably his last GREAT release.

Fabolous I was listening to the other night oddly as well. Old stuff though. Haven't heard anything new.

This year my eyes are on Kendrick, A$AP Rocky/Mob, and hopefully some new YG shit.

louder 01.02.2015 08:17 PM

new Earl should be interesting. Mac Miller too especially since he signed to a major label. and Chance the Rapper of course.

louder 01.03.2015 06:53 AM

i just found this article from last year:

Quote:

Kanye West could possibly have new music with Sir Paul McCartney in the works. According Daily Mail the rapper wants to work with former Beatle on his upcoming album. The musicians have reportedly been good friends for years. In an interview last year McCartney revealed he is indeed a fan of Yeezy’s music and would love the opportunity to work with him. He even bought Watch The Throne.

“Kanye and Paul have known each other for a long time but have become more friendly recently. There’s every chance they’ll head into the studio together,” an insider told the Sun. “Kanye really respects music legends and is still putting the finishing touches to his new album.”

this is so cool. i never really expect old white men to understand current hip-hop (even some of the old black folks don't understand it sometimes), so this is really a big surprise to me. makes me wonder how John would feel about Kanye if he was still alive.

louder 01.03.2015 10:14 AM

Exclusive: Ty Dolla $ign Talks Recording 'Only One' With Kanye West & Reveals Rihanna Collabo
A Kanye West, Rihanna, Ty Dolla $ign & Paul McCartney collaboration is going "to drop soon."
Quote:

What was the recording process like?
[In] like 24 hours, [we recorded] seven songs or nine songs that day. I was like, 'I'm here with Kanye, I'm not gonna waste my time.' They really wanted me to stay for like a week, but I only had like two days, 'cause I was about to start the [Under the Influence of Music] tour.

He was open to my input, like, 'do whatever you want to do. Here's your mic. Do you need anything?' I'm like 'Awesome! Let's get it!'

[We were] in Mexico, at this big house. The back of the house had no walls and no doors; it was just open [and facing] the ocean. You would think he would want the mic enclosed and all that but we just had the doors open, and it came out perfect. That inspired me to record like that at the crib.

Everybody [on his team] is into all the dope shit that's out and they said that my [Beach House] project was one of them.

What can you tell me about the other songs you worked on with 'Ye?
Me, Rihanna, 'Ye and Paul [Mc Cartney] got a song about to drop as well...

It's featured on 'Ye's album?
Yeah. It's gonna drop soon. I heard they shot the video recently. I don't know what the final title is, but I know it's crazy so just be looking out for [it].

louder 01.03.2015 10:14 AM

sounds like All of the Lights Pt. 2..

so this album is gonna be more in the spirit of Dark Twisted Fantasy than Yeezus, huh.

EXCITING.

Severian 01.05.2015 08:14 PM

Louder, you didn't know about the Kanye + Paul thing? I first heard about it in April or May... And sure enough, I just read (re-read... Confirmed) that the two have worked together on multiple new tracks. Supposedly they're for the new Kanye album, but I'm not sold on "Only One" being an album track. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway...

Severian 01.05.2015 08:16 PM

Is anyone else excited for the 01/20/15 release of B4.DA.$$?

Also heard there's a new Pusha on its way.

Severian 01.05.2015 08:20 PM

I don't actually believe this is the case, but it kinda sounds like Ty$ is telling all the jocks in the locker room a tall tale about losing his virginity. He better not be fucking around here.

noisereductions 01.05.2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Is anyone else excited for the 01/20/15 release of B4.DA.$$?

YESSSS

louder 01.06.2015 02:27 AM

Quote:

Louder, you didn't know about the Kanye + Paul thing? I first heard about it in April or May... And sure enough, I just read (re-read... Confirmed) that the two have worked together on multiple new tracks. Supposedly they're for the new Kanye album, but I'm not sold on "Only One" being an album track. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway...

i didn't know they were friends and Paul was a fan. also i thought they recorded maybe one track together but didn't really think about it much. i remember reading a lot of rumors about it being "Yeezus 2", and i've heard the All Day leak which kinda sounded like a typical '14 banger. so yeah.. the direction of this album totally caught me off guard. in a good way of course.

louder 01.06.2015 07:23 AM

YG's "Do It to Ya" video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nvaq-4Qx7Go

so nice. reminds me of those old 2Pac and Biggie vids.

noisereductions 01.06.2015 08:38 AM

^NICE

louder 01.07.2015 02:45 AM

i wanna listen to that new Rae Sremmurd album..

louder 01.07.2015 02:49 AM

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...eases-of-2015/

nice article.

Björk made an album with Arca? wow.

Severian 01.07.2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-...eases-of-2015/

nice article.

Björk made an album with Arca? wow.

I was just about to bring this article up!
In the section about Kanye's TBA new LP, whoever manned the keyboard TOTALLY scooped NR!! Like, in a creepy way suggesting we may have a Forkian among us ...

Quote:

Originally by Some Asshole with Inpeccable taste:
"Only One" certainly gives credence to the idea that Yeezus was an album-length bachelor party for the *newlywed rather than a Declaration of Independence from the demands of the mainstream.

Weird, huh? I guess you were right, noisereductions! My mistake, then.

*Newlywed:
Yeezus - Written/Recorded Fall 2012-Winter 2013; Released June, 2013
Kanye's wedding - May 24th, 2014.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Yeezus wasn't anything to a newlywed, and unless I'm forgetting what it was like to be a tabloid reading Kanye-head over the past 2 years, they weren't even engaged when Yeezus dropped. Weren't many of us still hanging onto hope that the relationship was just a phase? Perhaps a middle finger to Amber Rose in the form of a super public booty call just to show the bitch that he was capable of booty calling the most expensive booty in the country? Ultimately infatuating booty's owner, one of the most ravenous man eaters in the world, so completely that she practically begged to formally and legally promise her booty to no other man but Kanye fucking West?

Damn but do I get off on some tangents...

In short, the timeline is off :)

louder 01.07.2015 12:58 PM

i was thinking NR too when i read that!

noisereductions 01.07.2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

i was thinking NR too when i read that!

wow, that was weird! Haha.

Sev, I swear I remember when Yeezus dropped and I was listening to the part about putting sweet & sour sauce on an Asian girl I was thinking about how weird it was that he was engaged. Or maybe it was that Kim was already preggers at the time and I thought it weird? Either way, I think I assumed he was gonna be married soon because of one of those?

EDIT: Ok, daughter born June 2013. So it must have been that in my head I thought of them as 'engaged' at that point.

Severian 01.07.2015 01:45 PM

Oh, hey louder:

There's something I was going to ask you about regarding Pitchfork's “Most Overlooked Mixtapes of 2014” article.

It said something like "it's been a good year for R&B, with Beyoncé's Solo Debut released at the very end of 2013"

Solo debut? A quick glance at my CD collection says "Not so much." Am I hallucinating those copies of Sasha Fierce, 4, B-Day, and the very album they're talking about, or can you guys see them too??

Is this yet another simple little typo that, back in the days of print media would have resulted in a reporter getting his ass chewn off and told to write up a correction before getting the fuck out?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.07.2015 03:50 PM

louder 01.08.2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Oh, hey louder:

There's something I was going to ask you about regarding Pitchfork's “Most Overlooked Mixtapes of 2014” article.

It said something like "it's been a good year for R&B, with Beyoncé's Solo Debut released at the very end of 2013"

Solo debut? A quick glance at my CD collection says "Not so much." Am I hallucinating those copies of Sasha Fierce, 4, B-Day, and the very album they're talking about, or can you guys see them too??

Is this yet another simple little typo that, back in the days of print media would have resulted in a reporter getting his ass chewn off and told to write up a correction before getting the fuck out?

lol, pretty embarrassing yeah. but that article had some good ass tapes.. even though i wouldn't call most of them "overlooked". if anything P4k messed up when they slept on them.

louder 01.08.2015 02:49 PM

(yes, that's André 3000 with Rae Sremmurd. :))

louder 01.09.2015 12:58 PM

Ghostface Killah and DOOM reunite for "Ray Gun" (off BADBADNOTGOOD's new album which will feature Ghost on every track) - http://pitchfork.com/news/58006-ghos...e-for-ray-gun/

HOLY SHIT!! this song is amazing.. DOOM's verse is so good!!

Rob Instigator 01.09.2015 03:17 PM

I wish people wrote epics and not toss off verses