Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Eternal thread for those who feel like SY broke their hearts with this one (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30822)

jamboree 04.29.2009 11:00 PM

The album was just released 20 hours ago and you already have a set opinion on it? Come on bro, relax and see if it grows on ya. The first time I heard Loveless I hated it, it took me months to begin to appreciate the melodies and textures contained within.

Oh and the thread title is hilariously bad, try and work on that next time.

Kuhb 04.29.2009 11:14 PM

haha, its just funny to see a lot of 'established users' freaking out when they're flooded with new people.

"My empire!!!...my empire!!!!"

amerikangod 04.29.2009 11:29 PM

You guys are getting trolled by Jim hard.

static-harmony 04.30.2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhb
haha, its just funny to see a lot of 'established users' freaking out when they're flooded with new people.

"My empire!!!...my empire!!!!"

Eh I don't care, the best users left a long time ago. I should have gone with them. Pookie where are you?

Palmer Eldritch 04.30.2009 01:03 AM

[quote= I did not know Sonic Youth to make awful songs, except for the occasional clunker ("Pink Steam," "Lights Out," "Hits of Sunshine" all being more boring than terrible).[/QUOTE]

'Hits of Sunshine' boring? Wow, you lost me there. I've been obsessed by that song for years. And if Monday's show at the Scala was anything to go by SY are peaking again. For about the 30th time.:)

I'm excited all over again by them.

_slavo_ 04.30.2009 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
Eh I don't care, the best users left a long time ago.

oh come on. don't you remember that night and the abandoned parking lot?

modestmarc 04.30.2009 06:57 AM

Bands like Fiery Furnaces or Animal Collective bore me to death, SY or Dinsaur Jr still rock!

barnaclelapse 04.30.2009 07:03 AM

I disagree as well, but I will say it's definitely pretty decently written and put together.

atsonicpark 04.30.2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
the best users left a long time ago

A lot of my favorites are still here but they certainly don't post like they did. I'm thinking of leaving myself..... just need to find a good alternative to vent at first. I'm already posting at fangsandarrows.com, which talks about much better music than this place; unfortunately, there's no cool debating going on there. I occasionally post at Electrical Audio, and that place is the shit, except for the occasional Albini worship. I mean, I love Steve, but you wouldn't believe all the PJ Harvey nerds there. Finally, I have posted at noisefanatics for years; while everyone there is interesting and cool, it seems like everyone is also in their own little world. The setup of this board is great, as are some of the users, but just a few shitheads bring the whole experience down. Oh well. It's just a board.

Androol 04.30.2009 07:16 AM

finally skipped my first song

calming the snake

alex_could 04.30.2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harlock_jds
first of all fuck pitchfork up the ass. Seriously why do i (or you or anyone) care what they say? I like it and i know as much as they do.

also it's interesting you say you "appreciate SY older records"... i take that to means that they are ok but when you listen to SY you listen to newer stuff like Washing machine and Sonic Nurse... 2 albums i 'appreciate' but can't really say i ' like' as much as their older stuff.

Or I may be reading too much into it since English isn't your primary language.

I have my own rate of course. I can't agree with their rate of Ghosts&Flowers. It's just interesting for me and that's all.

And you're right about my english, I listen to 80s albums "trilogy" with great pleasure.

alex_could 04.30.2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Renfro
Because it's just music, man. It's entertainment, not life and death.

If so, then it's not really important how weak The Eternal is.

candymoan 04.30.2009 10:49 AM

hey guys, The Eternal is an album of SONIC YOUTH...
remember?

i'm looking forward to enjoying it with a bottle of wine and on speakers - as opposed to the headphone setup i've got here at work..

i hate it when work gets in the way of my yoof indulgence..

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.30.2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
A lot of my favorites are still here but they certainly don't post like they did. I'm thinking of leaving myself..... just need to find a good alternative to vent at first. I'm already posting at fangsandarrows.com, which talks about much better music than this place; unfortunately, there's no cool debating going on there. I occasionally post at Electrical Audio, and that place is the shit, except for the occasional Albini worship. I mean, I love Steve, but you wouldn't believe all the PJ Harvey nerds there. Finally, I have posted at noisefanatics for years; while everyone there is interesting and cool, it seems like everyone is also in their own little world. The setup of this board is great, as are some of the users, but just a few shitheads bring the whole experience down. Oh well. It's just a board.

dude this place will really hit the shitter if you leave

candymoan 04.30.2009 10:57 AM

reviews are coming in..

http://thequietus.com/articles/01524...track-by-track

alex_could 04.30.2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candymoan
i'm looking forward to enjoying it with a bottle of wine and on speakers - as opposed to the headphone setup i've got here at work.

hope you'll be tipsy enough while listening to the 3rd song already :D

candymoan 04.30.2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_could
hope you'll be tipsy enough while listening to the 3rd song already :D

looped it abut 5-6 times today, and have totally lost my drive to work..
enjoying the daydreams the album brings out....

Derek 04.30.2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamboree
The album was just released 20 hours ago and you already have a set opinion on it? Come on bro, relax and see if it grows on ya. The first time I heard Loveless I hated it, it took me months to begin to appreciate the melodies and textures contained within.

Oh and the thread title is hilariously bad, try and work on that next time.

Best new user by far I think. If only for the Beat Happening name.

radical adult 04.30.2009 11:25 AM

All I have heard from eternal are the songs they played live in düsseldorf.

And this new stuff sounded great, the old pals were really into it & they have some new cool ideas & structures - of course without reinventing themselves totally. But man, this is not the madonna board.

sonic life everybody!

PAULYBEE2656 04.30.2009 12:32 PM

its a damn fine album..its no evol or daydream but we are never gonna get that again..the eternal is a solid sy album and i thank thee for it!