Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 06.08.2018 05:31 PM

 

guest 06.08.2018 11:01 PM

I honestly don't get the love for bug, like obviously freak scene's tops, but it doesn't pick up again for me until like pond song. whole thing sounds a bit bereft of energy/vitality in a way that the first two records definitely weren't. songwriting maybe too clinical for the most part?

noisereductions 06.12.2018 12:07 PM

Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
REM - Out of Time

Severian 06.12.2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
REM - Out of Time


Spotify > Ye
Spotify > Kids See Ghosts

Just do it, itís like 45 minutes (total)

noisereductions 06.13.2018 09:32 AM

Sebadoh - III

Severian 06.13.2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sebadoh - III


I just spent more time checking my email than it would take you to listen to the two new albums by the artis who brought up together. Low-key pissed is turning into upper-register HURT FEELINGS!

Severian 06.13.2018 08:24 PM

But yeah, listen to albums youíve had for 20 years. Sure.

noisereductions 06.13.2018 08:33 PM

Love you bro. Will listen to those when I'm in that head space and they have a better chance of resonating with me. It would bug you more if I heard em and said 'uh they're ok I guess not what I'm the mood for'... Better I hear em when I am in the mood

noisereductions 06.13.2018 08:33 PM

And I've had that for like 23 years so... Yeah. Sebadoh rules tho.

evollove 06.13.2018 09:28 PM

I'm with noise on this one. Those records aren't going anywhere. Why be compelled to listen right away? One might not be able to participate in the large discussion surrounding the records, but that's the only drawback.

That said, let's compare Lou B to Kanye W.

Never mind. I can't... Laughing too hard to type.

noisereductions 06.13.2018 09:52 PM

Just gimme indie rock!

evollove 06.13.2018 10:26 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=gimm...obile&ie=UTF-8

Severian 06.14.2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I'm with noise on this one. Those records aren't going anywhere. Why be compelled to listen right away? One might not be able to participate in the large discussion surrounding the records, but that's the only drawback.

That said, let's compare Lou B to Kanye W.

Never mind. I can't... Laughing too hard to type.


Actually Iíll bet Lou respectís Kanyeís aesthetic, even if he thinks the dude is a moron. And if Kanye knows who Lou is, that seems like the kind of artist heíd respect. Look at ďFMLĒ ó Kanye samples Section 25 and makes a post-punk rap song. Seems like the kind of thing Lou would dig.

As for the other part of your argument, itís not like itís wrong to not listen to albums when they come out, and if it was like The Weeknd I wouldnít be badgering, but I just know Kanye is one of NRís favorite artists and an artist whose music he and I bonded over (back when we were still friends, before last week ;) ) ó but the exact same thing can be said for the old ass records heís listening to. Theyíre not going anywhere. They also sound just like they did in 1995.
Thereís more reason to listen to new records than there is to listen to old, at least socially. But I donít care or do I!!!

noisereductions 06.14.2018 08:29 AM

I know you're like half-joking, but you shouldn't take my listening habits personally. I don't listen to music to be social man. It's no offense. Back when we bonded over Kanye, I wasn't listening to Kanye cuz I wanted something to talk about, it was because that was where my head was at. It's what I wanted to hear at the time. I have no control over that. If I was in a "all I want to hear is Kanye" mode at the time and someone wanted me to listen to a Sebadoh album at the time I'd have said "hey, Sebadoh is great... but not what I feel like listening to right now, thanks." So here we are.


Today I'm listening to Sonic Youth's Dirty Boots EP, which I've had for like 30 years. Fun fact: it was the first SY release I bought! It's not going anywhere. But it is what I feel like hearing today.

The Soup Nazi 06.14.2018 03:43 PM

 

Severian 06.14.2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I know you're like half-joking, but you shouldn't take my listening habits personally. I don't listen to music to be social man. It's no offense. Back when we bonded over Kanye, I wasn't listening to Kanye cuz I wanted something to talk about, it was because that was where my head was at. It's what I wanted to hear at the time. I have no control over that. If I was in a "all I want to hear is Kanye" mode at the time and someone wanted me to listen to a Sebadoh album at the time I'd have said "hey, Sebadoh is great... but not what I feel like listening to right now, thanks." So here we are.


Today I'm listening to Sonic Youth's Dirty Boots EP, which I've had for like 30 years. Fun fact: it was the first SY release I bought! It's not going anywhere. But it is what I feel like hearing today.


Fun idea: if you listen to something new, you might realize you want to be hearing it. Thatís how itís worked for me. I hadnít listened to Kanye in like a month (ok, thatís a lie, but close to it) and I felt that I was not in that headspace. Then new albums dropped, and I listened like a fan does, and boom, I was in that headspace.

Have you even listened to Daytona yet?

Sebadoh isnít going g anywhere. The dirty boots ep youíve had since you were ... wait... like 7 years old? Thatís not going anywhere either.

Just sayin.

noisereductions 06.14.2018 07:06 PM

Typo... 20 years

noisereductions 06.15.2018 07:43 AM

Ween - The Pod
Flaming Lips - Hit to Death

Severian 06.15.2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Typo... 20 years


Kinda thought so. Pretty sure weíre the same age ;)

Severian 06.15.2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Ween - The Pod
Flaming Lips - Hit to Death


Hey, have you heard about/heard/seen anything about this new Flaming Lips compilation? Iíve seen the cover in passing but havenít heard about it anywhere. Not sure if itís a reissue or what. Claims to be a best of. Coverís badass but makes me want collected WB years on CD even more. Lips not a ďgreatest hitsĒ band.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth