Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sonicl's ATP tips (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6630)

sonicl 10.03.2006 08:00 AM

You can take the Piccadilly line into London and stay somewhere overnight, then the next day go to Taunton by train from Paddington (£55.00 return if you book in advance) and then by bus from Taunton to Minehead. For rail details and to book, go to National Rail Enquiries. If you don't book the rail ticket in advance it costs more than twice as much.

porkmarras 10.03.2006 08:05 AM

Generally avoid hostels/bed and breakfasts in Paddington as they have overpriced rooms/shares because of the big influx of travellers in the area.If you don't mind the extra mile head east as it's cheaper and more fashionable because i live there.

Katy 10.03.2006 08:17 AM

London to Taunton on a coach is cheap as piss.

Just so you know.

Katy 10.03.2006 08:20 AM

Berrys.

Look up Berrys coaches.

Cheapest London-Taunton return ticket you will find.

sonicl 10.03.2006 08:23 AM

19 quid! Crikey, that is cheap!

But I can trump you with £13.60 for a London Victoria to Taunton return trip on National Express. Depart London 09:00, arrive Taunton 12:55, and return from Taunton 10:15 arrive London 14:15. The fare type is "Funfare A".

Glice 10.03.2006 09:17 AM

First of all, Taunton is not a nice town, it's a fucking horror show. Don't be fooled kids, it's a fucking wreck. Bunch of six-fingered banjo players.

Secondly, if anyone needs somewhere to stay on the evening before, I can put up about 3 people, who I'll solicit on a first-come, first-served basis [PMs please]. I live in Weston-super-Mare, just one motorway junction down the road from Minehead, and am quite happy to meet/ entertain people in Bristol if needs be. If you're stuck the evening before, I reckon it'd be easier to find a hostel in Bristol (again, PMs and I can send you some hostel details) than it would in Minehead/ Taunton. Thirdly, I understand Exeter (probably closer than Bristol) apparently has an international airport, though I imagine most of you have sorted planes and such already.

Usually sarcastic bollocks service resuming... now.

Cock.

HaydenAsche 10.03.2006 09:24 AM

Too bad I'm not able to go. I might make the trip next year.

Katy 10.03.2006 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
19 quid! Crikey, that is cheap!

But I can trump you with £13.60 for a London Victoria to Taunton return trip on National Express. Depart London 09:00, arrive Taunton 12:55, and return from Taunton 10:15 arrive London 14:15. The fare type is "Funfare A".

I see your £13.60-on-National-Express and raise you an absolutely free ride all the way to Minehead in my Mum's car. With the possibility of a piss 'n' smoke break (with free sandwiches and a bag of Hula Hoops) at Membury service station on the M4.

Ha. Beat that.

PS - Taunton's not THAT bad, Glice. Vivary Park is quite pretty.. ducks and all that. And, uh, there's that tattoo place and a surf shop on the corner of the high street. And Bath Place. Bath Place is quite cool.. (y'know that little tunnel off the high street that leads into that back alley with the bookshop, the piercing studio, the comic shop, the deli and the place that sells crystals and goth clothes and punky eyeshadows and stuff?) Could be worse...

Danny Himself 10.03.2006 10:08 AM

The whole thing sucks balls because of the age rating. I am not a happy camper.

sonicl 10.03.2006 10:20 AM

Ah, I can trump you no further, Katy.

There are a small number of lucky revellers who will be getting free transport from Heathrow in my car, but the car is only little and alas I have room for no more. I will probably allow my prisoners (erm... sorry, I meant passengers) a comfort break en route, but I don't think I'll be able to offer free sandwiches or hula hoops. They will, however, have the opportunity to listen to carefully chosen music on the journey, which, out of the kindness of my heart, will not include any teeny-pop.

I did consider, as a little sideline, making enquiries with a coach company to find out the price of hiring a coach from London to Minehead via Heathrow on the Friday and back on the Monday, but I decided that organising it would be just too much like hard work.

greenlight 10.03.2006 11:32 AM

Hehe. Are you sure about that teeny-pop?

Rep???? What's that?

Glice 10.03.2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy

PS - Taunton's not THAT bad, Glice. Vivary Park is quite pretty.. ducks and all that. And, uh, there's that tattoo place and a surf shop on the corner of the high street. And Bath Place. Bath Place is quite cool.. (y'know that little tunnel off the high street that leads into that back alley with the bookshop, the piercing studio, the comic shop, the deli and the place that sells crystals and goth clothes and punky eyeshadows and stuff?) Could be worse...

You're right, it could be worse. It could be Bridgewater, Yeovil, Minehead itself or, heaven forbid, fucking Clevedon, Nailsea or Yatton.

I'd recommend Exeter, Cheddar, Glastonbury or (controversially, some might say) Midsomer Norton if anyone's day-tripping in the area. And Bath, Wells or Cheltenham if you fancy driving for a wee while.

I have a reticence to Taunton because everyone I know who comes from/ lives there is an absolute cock. I've also been beaten up there once and threatened twice. And I've never known any raves to happen there, which is a definite no-no for Westcountry towns.

I should get paid for being a motherfucking tourguide.

EDIT: I completely forgot - Taunton has this weird acoustic anomaly where you clap in a certain area and the acoustics are such that the reverberation sounds like a quack. I shit ye not.

sonicl 10.04.2006 03:32 AM

My girlfriend's aunt lives in Taunton, and we stayed a few days there a couple of years ago, which was where I got the impression it was a nice little town. At the end of the day it doesn't really have to be all that nice anyway, it's only for an hour or two's stopover between coaches, and that can easily be spent in a pub. So, Tourguide Glice, what pubs would you recommend or advise against?

I was unimpressed with Glastonbury when we went there. Far too much new age crap. You see one crystal, you've seen 'em all. And don't get me started about hippy buskers, we've had a thread about that before that said all that was necessary.

sonicl 10.04.2006 04:06 AM

Stuff to do on Thursday 7 December

Ice rinks in London - Canary Wharf, Somerset House, Natural History Museum, Greenwich, Tower of London

Bjorn Again - Shepherds Bush Empire
DKT / MC5 - Camden Underworld
Juana Molina - London Scala
Bromheads Jacket - ULU
Nitin Sawhney - Camden Jazz Cafe

Propagandhi - Bristol Thekla
White Rose Movement - Bristol Academy 2

There'll doubtless be more listed as the time comes closer, but that's all I could find for now.

Moshe 10.04.2006 03:15 PM

wouldn't it be nice if we can arrange some sonic forum gettogether on December 7th?

greenlight 10.05.2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
wouldn't it be nice if we can arrange some sonic forum gettogether on December 7th?

yeah, sonic/dimeadozen meeting at somepoint. defo. martin rappard and tris1979 are comming as well! hopefully they'll have enough time to record everything, hehe.

eatmychild 10.05.2006 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
very kind.
Now let's look at some of the pre- and post-ATP gigs.... the night before ATP, there's:

December, 7 2006 at Barden's Boudoir
Stoke Newington, London,
WOLF EYES, AARON DILLOWAY, DAMION ROMERO, SUDDEN INFANT

or in Bristol

December, 7 2006 at seymour's family club, bristol
sunburned hand of the man w/ six organs of admittance

Has anyone seen others?

Melvins are playing in London on Monday the 11th, so pack your gypsies and smash the Picnic Revenue.

pokkeherrie 10.06.2006 03:17 AM

Thanks.

I might take you up on the Bristol info offer later, Glice... but at the moment I don't know where I'll be on the 7th. It all depends on who's playing where and what other people are doing.

pokkeherrie 10.11.2006 08:40 AM

found out via toilet&bowels that the dead c and charalambides are playing in london on the 12th! yeah!

http://www.upsettherhythm.co.uk/

or actually make that fuck yeah! :)

porkmarras 10.11.2006 09:18 AM

Monday
Dec 2006AIDS WOLF
@
London - Barfly</B>
AIDS WOLF
Doors: 19.30