Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Song off Rather Ripped (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1485)

greedrex 05.22.2009 06:36 AM

pink steam, incinerate, reena....

noisereductions 05.22.2009 06:57 AM

Reena = perhaps the best 00's SY song

flashlight69 05.22.2009 12:25 PM

i think some people here are totally noise freaks

listen: the album as it is is a masterpiece.
great songwriting
great producing
great great style

it is not a bad record it is youst less noisy. how can somebody listen do it and not fall in love with this masterpiece?rather ripped is one of those great great moments in music-history.

itīs dumm to say it is shit or not a true sonic youth blablabla youst because it is not so loud.it is one of the best records i have ever heard in my whole life

chrome noise tape 05.22.2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashlight69

canabero 05.22.2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

great songwriting
great producing
great great style

it is not a bad record it is youst less noisy. how can somebody listen do it and not fall in love with this masterpiece?rather ripped is one of those great great moments in music-history.

itīs dumm to say it is shit or not a true sonic youth blablabla youst because it is not so loud.it is one of the best records i have ever heard in my whole life

yes it`s not a bad album, but i hate it because it sounds like music made for teenegers.

Dead-Air 05.22.2009 06:01 PM

I have no idea if I answered this before, and I don't feel like scrolling through 6 pages, but "Or" all the way. I wish there had been more of that vibe, but maybe that's what makes it such a sweet moment in itself.

oss 05.23.2009 01:16 AM

Got to go with Pink Steam.

flashlight69 05.23.2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canabero
yes it`s not a bad album, but i hate it because it sounds like music made for teenegers.

hmm i think maybe dirty have some teenage rock n roll attributtes.rather ripped is more for grewn up magic minds.

i think at the end of the day this new record series (murray street-nurse-rather ripped , i mean day had to close with a beautiful songwriting-record this decade.with rather ripped

oh i love the title rather ripped-best album title ever maybe...

the question is =what is your style?how did you get your kicks for living?

it is like the r.e.m 1997-2005 thing. they did this series of record up-reval-arround the sun-(they also clouse this decade with a very popy and well written one)and then they moved on to more rocky tunes.

you know i am a child of austrian working class my english sucks but i think good eneought to cummunicate

EVOLghost 05.23.2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
pink steam, incinerate, reena....

yep

dazedcola 05.23.2009 12:27 PM

i like that quiet track after "or", best one on the album. I think it symbolizes the vagueness of the times we're living in nowadays.

Kosako 05.23.2009 02:21 PM

lights out & rats

GeneticKiss 05.25.2009 01:55 PM

Turquoise Boy, Rats, and Pink Steam

I decided to give Rather Ripped a spin last night since The Eternal's release is coming up (I like to listen to a band's last album shortly before getting their next one if I haven't heard it in a while), and I have to say I like it as a whole if for no other reason than it proves that even SY's bad albums are better than anyone else's.

Tuff Gnarl 05.27.2009 02:42 PM

I would have to go with Pink Steam/Rats/Incinerate.

Derek 05.27.2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

great songwriting
great producing
great great style

the album has terrible production, it sounds so flat and dull. i actually like some of the songs on the album but i still think it's a lesser work. i really really like 'lights out' and 'pink steam' though. oh, and the two bonus tracks. it's a shame when the best tracks on an album are the bonus tracks...

koolthing78 05.27.2009 11:49 PM

Jams Run Free (easily in my top 5 SY songs; on my list of "perfect" songs (with the definition of "perfect" being [as I heard it before, but can't remember where] "not when there is nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to take away" (and not just in terms of "perfection" in general, but perfection in concisely encapsulating everything I love about SY)))

That being said...

Art is not consumed in a void; it's impossible to compare one person's experiences to another's, or one person's experiences to that same person's experiences under different circumstances (or after more experiences). For example: I initially was slightly disappointed with The Eternal (and commented that I liked RR somewhat better). Then I listened to The Eternal stoned, and reversed my opinion completely. However, since I am in a different life situation now that doesn't consist of having to leave my apartment to smoke (in case my now-deceased partner's probation officer stopped by for her once-monthly visit), I rarely bother with driving around my [new, and less quiet [traffic-wise]] neighborhood, listening to music on headphones while getting high. RR was a long, intense fling--from spring through early autumn. It became almost a ritual, where the minute details and deviations became thrilling (such as the times when the pointless light at Crosswinds and 68th St. turned green just in time for me to not have to stop, right as Kim sang/spoke the line "the light is green"; or that one trip around my complex where an abnormally large number of prowling cats were about, glaring at me and then scurrying out of the way, which prompted me to exclaim "Cats!" during "Rats"). After professing the brilliance of the new album, I rapidly lost interest in listening to it; not for the lack of good songs, but for the obviousness of their goodness (which negates the need for scrutiny of the details). Of course, I must also consider the fact that--as previously stated (and I think this was my point, actually)--I haven't been experiencing The Eternal in the same set of circumstances (ie: stoned out of my gourd), so it's impossible to compare them.

But that wasn't the point of this thread. Anyway, I also loved "What A Waste," which I know many people despised; there was something about the rapid change-ups in style [I have a self-diagnosed "surprise addiction"], Steve's "trick" drumming [which I also like in "Calming the Snake"--the first time it's 2 quarter notes before the vocals come in, and the second it's 2 eighth notes (throws off my head-thrusts)], and that oddly beautiful instrumental before the "SY dance beat" comes in at the end. "Turquoise Boy" was also a gem. [[[[ok, im done]]]]

Latham 05.28.2009 12:10 AM

Jams for sure. Rats though... Hmmm....

perverzion 05.28.2009 09:28 PM

Long time "Pink Steam" was unquestionable #1.
But now I would say: "Reena", "Turqoiuse Boy" and "Sleepin' Around".

MARKJONES 10.21.2009 12:33 AM

"Do You Believe in Rapture?" is the song that I've been listening to the longest. Strangely enough, I still haven't gotten tired of it. One of their best, I'd say.

Afterwards its Pink Steam and Jams Run Free

DanielCarlson 10.21.2009 07:05 AM

Pink Steam.

The other Rather Ripped songs are far, far behind it.

Concrete Abutments 10.21.2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Pink Steam.

The other Rather Ripped songs are far, far behind it.

Yup in agreement. Pink Steam is the ONE!