Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   more artists confirm atp (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1298)

Moshe 04.26.2006 02:35 PM

more artists confirm atp

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS 2006
IGGY & THE STOOGES
SONIC YOUTH »
BARDO POND »
SIX ORGANS OF ADMITTANCE »
JACKIE-O MOTHERFUCKER »
CHARALAMBIDES »
MY CAT IS AN ALIEN »
THE SKATERS

Iain 04.26.2006 06:17 PM

Yep....this is shaping up very nicely so far.

Glice 04.26.2006 06:21 PM

I've not seen two of them, but the one's I have seen are pretty neat. Especially MCIAA, who are quite, quite brilliant live.

whorefrost 04.27.2006 04:31 AM

shit, i've seen like all of them bar two... pretty predictable line up, more or less what i expected... still very tasty! skaters are totally awesome live....

screamingskull 04.27.2006 04:34 AM

mmmm, im in the process of organising getting my ticket, looks like i will probly end up going with my friend Sophia and her mate. they are both into SY and her mate has a car so it will be fun. if i definately go we should arrange a meet up.

A Thousand Threads 04.27.2006 04:38 AM

fuck
great line-up
MCIIA
BARDO POND !!!!!!!

ahhh
i wanŽt to go

have to get myself a job to be able to afford tickets and trainŽn stuff

sonicl 04.27.2006 04:43 AM

Bardo Pond!
:D :D :D :D

whorefrost 04.27.2006 04:47 AM

bardo pond, jackie-o, and charlambides all rocked atp 04 if memory serves... actually, someone on this board was really desperate for charlambides to play so they'll be totally psyched! (think it may have been toxic johnny...)

toxic johnny 04.27.2006 04:58 AM

Your memory serves you totally correct!... I am indeed ecstatic that they are playing... I've also found out that they are playing London later in the summer as well.
Also their new album is very sweet indeed so I couldn't be happier!

bikinikillbillchillthrill 04.27.2006 02:11 PM

woo HOO!! six organs of admittance and bardo pond are my latest aural addictions!!! THUSTON keep IT comin:)

whorefrost 04.27.2006 02:14 PM

i would love to see arthur doyle... fuck, that would make my year... any sort of free jazz performance would be most welcome... i saw corsano mcphee at subcurrent and its really opened my ears up to free jazz in ways i never thought possible...

sonicl 04.28.2006 03:01 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Loren Connors performance. If I get that, then everything else will be a bonus.

Iain 04.28.2006 03:06 AM

Yeah, the linup is sort of predicatable in a way but so far it's very nice indeed. I dare say there will be a few obscuro treats to add to that, maybe some free jazz action, and there might even be some sort of shock mainstream-ish addition maybe. Olivia Tremor Control would be a nice surprise.

Paperhouse 04.28.2006 05:34 AM

It'd be odd if it was all this sub-underground noise/drone/free-folk kind of stuff. ATP's always a mix of that and the more straightforward/rockin'/poppy kind of stuff, and I'm sure they'll FORCE Thurston into doing that this time too, whether he likes it or NOT.

screamingskull 04.28.2006 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperhouse
It'd be odd if it was all this sub-underground noise/drone/free-folk kind of stuff. ATP's always a mix of that and the more straightforward/rockin'/poppy kind of stuff, and I'm sure they'll FORCE Thurston into doing that this time too, whether he likes it or NOT.

he said on the BBC radio interview that it was mostly going to be experimental noise bands, whether or not he gets his way we will have to wait and see.

verticalwipe 04.28.2006 07:51 AM

I guess if I could handpick a few bands to play ATP, I'd select: NNCK, Picks & Lighters, GHQ, and Jandek.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Picks & Lighters cd on ecstatic peace, do yourself a favor and get ahold of one.

whorefrost 04.28.2006 08:38 AM

ATP is 100% artist curated... previous festivals have been a mixture of underground noise and more mainstream shit due to the fact they have had more mainstream curators in the past... but this is fucking thurston ecstatic peace moore and as he stated on the BBC it's gonna be mostly harsh noise! (yes!) I would expect Bardo Pond would be as about as mainstream as it will get..

whorefrost 04.28.2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperhouse

Also, it's ATP, Nightmare Before Christmas, don't forget which was previously curated by the CHapman brothers who put on Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Wolf Eyes et al...

kingcoffee 04.28.2006 10:03 AM

damn, that sounds like an amazing show. I can't believe America doesn't host these kinds of shows. Very dissapointing. Fuck you, America!

Paperhouse 04.29.2006 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
Also, it's ATP, Nightmare Before Christmas, don't forget which was previously curated by the CHapman brothers who put on Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Wolf Eyes et al...

yeah, but that event also had Mercury Rev, The Fall, Liars, Shellac and some others. I'm sure that at least the third day headliner will be someone a bit more "mainstream". I don't think it's entirely artist curated either: the artists are supposed to give the ATP people as big a list of desired bands as they want (probably with particular preferences), then the ATP people get choosing from that. Apparently two curators have asked for Animal Collective and have had them mysteriously vetoed by Barry and co.