Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Good SEGA Genesis RPG's or Action RPG's? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29704)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.05.2009 06:31 PM

Good SEGA Genesis RPG's or Action RPG's?

I recently picked up a SEGA Genesis, never had one before. I know that the SNES was definitely the system of choice for RPG fans between the two, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some fine, quality RPG's for this classic system?

PS: If you feel compelled to suggest any outstanding non-RPG titles...feel free to do that to.

radarmaker 03.05.2009 07:14 PM

I was never that big on RPGs, but you can't go wrong with Phantasy Star II-IV, Shining Force 1 & 2, Landstalker, Crusader of Centy/Soleil or Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor.
Beggar Prince (a translation of an unofficial Taiwanese game released worldwide a couple of years ago by Super Fighter) is worth a look too.

atsonicpark 03.05.2009 07:52 PM

Indeed, Beyond Oasis is one of my all time favorites, but Landstalker rules too. I also enjoyed Light Crusader, Shining Force, and Phantasy Star IV.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.05.2009 09:54 PM

Thanks for the help. I've actually been looking at the Phantasy Star and Shining Force games online.

I'm actually very excited for the release of this NEW Genesis RPG.

Pier Solar

DeadDiscoDildo 03.06.2009 02:59 AM

Sega Genesis eh?

ToeJam & Earl
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Mortal Kombat 2 & 3/ultimate
Eternal Champions
Golden Axe 1 & 2
Earthworm Jim

_slavo_ 03.06.2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim, the king of all RPGs.

atsonicpark 03.06.2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Sega Genesis eh?

ToeJam & Earl
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Mortal Kombat 2 & 3/ultimate
Eternal Champions
Golden Axe 1 & 2
Earthworm Jim

Oh man those are some rockin' rpg's dude!

_slavo_ 03.06.2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh man those are some rockin' rpg's dude!

I'm still strugglin' with a couple of quests in Mortal Kombat 2 ... maan, it's so tricky!

atsonicpark 03.06.2009 06:19 AM

You need to level up Scorpion so he can learn his "spear throw" limit break!

atsonicpark 03.06.2009 06:20 AM

Anyway, as far as non-genesis rpg's go, just get anything by Treasure or Konami, with a few exceptions. Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes are pretty much all you need. I'd also get the GENESIS 6-Pack, with columns and sonic and shinobi and streets of rage and some other games. Hours of fun.

radarmaker 03.06.2009 07:45 AM

Non-RPG wise, there's a slew of classics - the Genesis/MegaDrive knocks the SNES into a cocked hat as far as shooters & fast-paced action games go.

As well as the obvious ones (Sonic, Gunstar, Toejam, Ecco, SoR 1-3, Shinobi 1-3 etc) also check out Flicky, Super Fantasy Zone, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, Gynoug/Wings of Wor, Truxton, Phelios, Hellfire, Thunderforce 3 & 4, Herzog Zwei, Gain Ground, Alisia Dragoon, Castlevania, Ghouls & Ghosts, Megaman Wily Wars, Mega Turrican & Ranger X (off the top of my head).

I'd ignore most of the one-on-one fighters, 'cos MK1 aside, they were all done better on the SNES (though I do have a soft spot for MD Fatal Fury 2).

There's a bunch of first-rate Japan-only shooters too, like Gleylancer, Slap Fight & Panorama Cotton, but they all cost a small fortune if you're looking for physical carts rather than romz.

_slavo_ 03.06.2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

You need to level up Scorpion so he can learn his "spear throw" limit break!

oh, silly me.
Did you managed to do that "Bring Raiden a bucket of water" one, though?
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

atsonicpark 03.06.2009 08:15 AM

Don't forget PULSEMAN!!! I love Ranger X and Mega Turrican more than life.. I have a soft spot for Bio Hazard Battle too.

All in all, Genesis was a way better system than SNES, aside from the Enix, Square, and Nintendo games. Of course, the SNES happens to have like 5 of my favorite games of all time on it (SUPER METROID for the win!). So... Either way, both systems rock.

atsonicpark 03.06.2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
oh, silly me.
Did you managed to do that "Bring Raiden a bucket of water" one, though?
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

I had Reptile turn invisible and steal Shao Khan's spear which I'm totally using in the new game+ for the hidden bosses!

_slavo_ 03.06.2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

I had Reptile turn invisible and steal Shao Khan's spear which I'm totally using in the new game+ for the hidden bosses!

very hard, very hard indeed.
now I'm installing Pro Evolution Soccer 6, which is, as I heard, a top class medieval RPG, full of spells, dragons and Steven Gerrard. I'm excited.

EVOLghost 03.06.2009 08:38 AM

lol you guys are dicks.....

noisereductions 03.06.2009 08:44 AM

Phantasy Star series is incredible. So ahead of its time.

Landstalker and Beyond Oasis are both awesome. ARPGs are so much more fun than RPGs in my opinion. Anyone remember Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy? That shit was amazing.

EyeballGrowth 03.06.2009 05:14 PM

Phantasy Star IV is the best RPG on the genesis. The Phantasy Star series is so awesome. Toejam & Earl may be the best 2d cooperative 2 player game I've ever played.

vulva 03.06.2009 05:16 PM

RPGs are awful.

EyeballGrowth 03.06.2009 05:27 PM

I usually don't enjoy the ones with menu based fighting, but there are quite a few great ones. Super Mario RPG is awesome