Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who here DOESN'T like MPP? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30258)

afterthefact 04.14.2009 04:13 PM

Who here DOESN'T like MPP?

I know on the other thread for MPP there were some haters, but it was mostly dedicated to the love of the album.

This one is for the haters.

Ok, I won't say I hate it, because if any other sub par indie band put it out, I would probably feel blown away by it. But AC is sooo good in my opinion, I just feel like they lost something here. They used to have more of a "hey, we set up some mics in our living room and found these sticks to hit together and this guy over here is going to play his acoustic guitar if that's cool" kind of vibe to it (I know that's not what it was, but it had that feel) and now that's sort of gone. Anybody with me?

wellcharge 04.14.2009 04:16 PM

ac is usually fairly shitty but mpp is great

afterthefact 04.14.2009 04:18 PM

Really?!? Hmm, that's weird... I mean, you are entitled to feel that way, that's fine, I just have a hard time even imagining feeling that way when I listen to them.

Derek 04.14.2009 04:18 PM

Oh, not again... :(

summer 04.14.2009 04:19 PM

I feel the same way as wellcharge. I normally hate AC, they just sound so bad, but something about MPP is a lot better.

wellcharge 04.14.2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Really?!? Hmm, that's weird... I mean, you are entitled to feel that way, that's fine, I just have a hard time even imagining feeling that way when I listen to them.

i don't think it's really weird, mpp is their most accessible and popular album, sun tongs is probably as good/better, but feels and campfire songs bored me, and strawberry jam i found to be annoying

Rob Instigator 04.14.2009 04:40 PM

I'm not down with MPP
yeah you know me....

don;t know who MPP is.

wellcharge 04.14.2009 04:50 PM

i normally find it annoying when people let being blunted change their feelings about a recording but.... the part of "in the flowers" where it gets all fast and has strings or whatever, that shit takes me places, it's like all cosmic and trippy and stuff. marijuana;fuck ya

pbradley 04.14.2009 04:51 PM

I've never heard a song that has made me think "wow, I should look more into these guys." In fact I know them mostly because I had a neo-hippie-ish friend who loved them and "Peacebone." It just sounds like folk-pop vocals over bleepy synths. I don't understand why people think that is amazing but whatever, I don't need to.

akprodr 04.14.2009 04:57 PM

I listened to it several times and its still not doing anything for me. No THC though...

Trasher02 04.14.2009 05:35 PM

Can't we just drop it already?

pokkeherrie 04.14.2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
don;t know who MPP is.

Meaty Plump Penises?
Moist Pink Punani?
Moldy Pepperoni Pizza?

Onani Nic 04.14.2009 06:06 PM

I'm down with OPP....

davenotdead 04.14.2009 06:45 PM

i'm staying out of this one

dionysusundone 04.14.2009 07:04 PM

It's an okay album, but not amazing. I don't get why people get so worked up about it, it's nowhere near the album Sung Tongs was, but it's a step up from Strawberry Jam.

automatic bzooty 04.14.2009 07:45 PM

i don't love it, i don't hate it. it's just a very meh record for me.

noisereductions 04.14.2009 07:50 PM

I don't like it. I fucking love it.

atsonicpark 04.15.2009 01:30 AM

It's really boring and lifeless and dull. Hard to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. The electronics sound too simple and ameteurish and repetetive, but the main strength of AC has always been their vocal melodies... and what can I say? Nice vocal melodies, for the most part. It's not an awful record, but yeah, it's no "Sung Tongs" (really, from beginning to end, probably the only album I LOVE by them). I really like a few songs, like "My Girls". All in all, though, it just doesn't do much for me.

greedrex 04.15.2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I don't like it. I fucking love it.

idem

fugazifan 04.15.2009 04:46 AM

i recently bought it, and really like it. the middle has a few songs that are a bit slower that i have to get into but there are a few really great songs, in the flower, SUMMERTIME brother sport etc....