Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Britain a breeding ground for thugs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9545)

Glice 01.03.2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
That's more straight outta Whitechapel.Bowels lives in Hackney,not me.

He's a real artist now. I had a fun love/ hate relationship with Hackney the six months or so I was there.

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
That's more straight outta Whitechapel.Bowels lives in Hackney,not me.

dammit, i guess you'll have to move house then. whitechapel just doesn't flow as good with porky as hackney does.

porkmarras 01.03.2007 06:26 PM

I used to live round the corner from where he lived before and it was ok but the part i lived in was more shit than his.The only place where i've witnessed one mugging and a kid getting his shit beaten up by two guys until we called the police.

porkmarras 01.03.2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
dammit, i guess you'll have to move house then. whitechapel just doesn't flow as good with porky as hackney does.

New Cross Gate and south east London is where it's at and Bowels better move there if he wanna make it as an artist because,as the say, the Goldsmiths crowd are doing it for the underground masses(yeah,right).

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 06:37 PM

south london is too far away!
anyway, we can always pretend you're from hackney. i doubt every member of nwa lived in compton for all of their lives. so better just start working on your rap skills... and image.

porkmarras 01.03.2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

south london is too far away!
anyway, we can always pretend you're from hackney. i doubt every member of nwa lived in compton for all of their lives. so better just start working on your rap skills... and image.

Well,i have a Lonsdale top and i smoke crack while i blast grime records with the windows open for my neighbours to discover my djing skills.If that is not a start,what is?

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 07:14 PM

i don't know if you have a television, but you should get one of these regardless

Tokolosh 01.04.2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
when i got home i found out that today my sister and her young children had been threatened with having their house burnt down and the kids hurt after she called the police on a group of kids smashing up her car. they alreay stole it earlier in the year and it seems they want more or are bored. she is on the way over now because she's too scared to stay in the house overnight. what a lovely area she lives in.

Incidents like the one your sister is experiencing makes my blood boil. There are many instances where people get threatened and the police do sweet bugger all. Hope it gets sorted out, 'cause it's terrible to live in fear of your family being harmed.

sonicl 01.04.2007 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
...it's terrible to live in fear of your family being harmed.

Fear is the important word there. I think many people would agree that fear of thuggery and crime is a worse problem than actual thuggery and crime. I frequently feel threatened if I'm walking down a street and there's a group of ten or so rough-looking kids walking towards me, but the worst that's ever happened to me is that I've had to step into the street because they don't move aside. The media, particularly our good friends the tabloid newspapers, create an atmosphere of fear, giving the impression that you can't leave the house without body armour for fear of being stabbed.

jon boy 01.04.2007 06:10 AM

thats true. if i believed everything in the media i would never leave the house again.

i might add that my sister lives 100 metres away from a well known and notorious prison. it seems strange that this kind of thing could happen so close. last night someone threw stones through the windows.

Washing Machine 01.04.2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Fear is the important word there. I think many people would agree that fear of thuggery and crime is a worse problem than actual thuggery and crime. I frequently feel threatened if I'm walking down a street and there's a group of ten or so rough-looking kids walking towards me, but the worst that's ever happened to me is that I've had to step into the street because they don't move aside. The media, particularly our good friends the tabloid newspapers, create an atmosphere of fear, giving the impression that you can't leave the house without body armour for fear of being stabbed.

You're right sonicl....
You lot on this forum are all terribly middle class, complaining about thuggery and the goverment not doing anything (which is not true in fairness, come on). I have hardly ever been confronted by these 'thugs', i just can't understand how aside from a few isolated cases in a few very, very bad areas this is even a problem. To call Britain a 'breading ground' for thuggish behaviour is hypobolic to say the least!

Tokolosh 01.04.2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
To call Britain a 'breading ground' for thuggish behaviour is hypobolic to say the least!

The thread title is a question and not a claim. :rolleyes:

Washing Machine 01.04.2007 08:59 AM

I was answering the threads question, im not saying anyone is actually calling Britain that, I dont think anyone here is that dumb lol

pokkeherrie 01.04.2007 08:59 AM

bread grows out of the ground in britain?

sonicl 01.04.2007 09:04 AM

Does it not grow out of the ground where you live?

Tokolosh 01.04.2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

bread grows out of the ground in britain?

Looks like it. Is Britain so unimportant, that you spell it without a capital letter? :D

Washing Machine 01.04.2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Looks like it. Is Britain so unimportant, that you spell it without a capital letter? :D

Its just that we are really humble

pokkeherrie 01.04.2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Does it not grow out of the ground where you live?

sadly not... maybe it just won't grow below sea-level.

Quote:

i just can't spell, that's all...
note how humbly i wrote "i" without a capital there.