Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Britain a breeding ground for thugs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9545)

Washing Machine 01.03.2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
The Sun used to have a rather awful motto that said that going to Spain wasn't exactly a cultural experience(how very wrong) but then,who takes The Sun seriously apart from Glice and some meathead in West Ham?

Hahaha exactly....I hate how I talk to people and they say 'I like the sun because of the words they use, they say things like they are'. Yeah right!
You have to seriously call in to question anyone who reads The Sun!

...and Spain is a beautiful country, with a fasinating history and culture

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
That is valid for a lot of working class british holiday makers who go to the countries that you've listed.The usual british visitor that we get in Italy (and i spotted in France too) tends to be rather civilized and cultured.I always got the impression that it is because that sort of behaviour wouldn't be accepted in both Italy and France.The Sun used to have a rather awful motto that said that going to Spain wasn't exactly a cultural experience(how very wrong) but then,who takes The Sun seriously apart from Glice and some meathead in West Ham?

yes, of course i was talking avout a "specific" group* of british holiday makers. i thought that was obvious, but maybe i should have pointed that out more clearly. the image of the civilised and cultured british tourist does of course exist as well, also among the ones that can be found in amsterdam... and i'm sure they're going to spain and greece as well, but just not so much to the infamous coastal resorts... also i should add that dutch youth going to the spanish coasts is just as bad.

*i'll leave the dividing of society in social classes to those residing in the uk. that's a very british concept in my book. of course it exists in each and every society, but the british one seems to stress more on it than others.

jon boy 01.03.2007 09:16 AM

the middle aged british male abroad look.

sonicl 01.03.2007 09:36 AM

That's how I look when I'm not abroad.

jon boy 01.03.2007 09:37 AM

actually thats true.

Tokolosh 01.03.2007 09:38 AM

Whatever you do... avoid the hellhole called Benidorm. I drove past it last week, and I'm glad I didn't stop.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.03.2007 09:41 AM

what to say about british tourists... they are the best ones.

jon boy 01.03.2007 09:47 AM

one thing i dont get about brits abroad is that they eat and drink exactly what they do when they are at home. pint of carling and a cheeseburger please. they also make no effort to see any of the local culture just the culture of the nightclub and the bar.

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 09:56 AM

that's not paricularly british i'd say... many dutch families going on holiday to some camping in france would bring their own cheese or peanut butter... and a lot of dutch tourists going to the spanish coasts can only be found in the bars and cafeterias where they can order dutch drinks and dutch food by speaking dutch.

Tokolosh 01.03.2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
one thing i dont get about brits abroad is that they eat and drink exactly what they do when they are at home. pint of carling and a cheeseburger please. they also make no effort to see any of the local culture just the culture of the nightclub and the bar.

The dutch have that too. Fucking fries with mayo, when there's tapas, gambas, paella, and great wine.

I think this thread should have asked "Is Earth a breeding ground for thugs?", 'cause wherever you go, the shit smells the same. :D

porkmarras 01.03.2007 09:57 AM

Don't get me started on the Italians.

porkmarras 01.03.2007 09:58 AM

Or the French.

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 09:59 AM

or the germans.

edit:
or the greeks!
i remember one particular greek who brought her own coffee to england!

porkmarras 01.03.2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
or the germans.

edit:
or the greeks!
i remember one particular greek who brought her own coffee to england!

Or the polish!I share my fridge with my polish flatmates and all their food is polish and bought in polish shops!

sonicl 01.03.2007 10:04 AM

It's to experience the unknown that I go to foreign countries. If I wanted the known I'd go to... oh, I don't know... Butlins!

porkmarras 01.03.2007 10:07 AM

Let's just say that most tourists are plain awful no matter where they come from.

pokkeherrie 01.03.2007 10:14 AM

^and pay proper local taxes over their cigarettes and not bring their own! :p

jon boy 01.03.2007 10:15 AM

i do take some food with me when i go to berlin because i miss it so. do you have any idea what its like to not have any cheddar cheese for six months!

i do buy and eat plenty of the local stuff.

porkmarras 01.03.2007 10:15 AM

^ and take only a certain amount of photographs unless,of course,you happen to be Japanese.

Danny Himself 01.03.2007 11:14 AM

Benidorm is a shithole, and so is Britain.