Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1988, I think... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=45435)

easyrazors 01.13.2011 05:23 PM

1988, I think...

Albini with Rapeman. Pixies played the same place the next night. I think the camera was one of those weird 70s ones which had cartridges instead of film rolls.

purplebumblebee 01.13.2011 06:00 PM

Great photo:)

Andrés 01.14.2011 09:30 PM

Any Pixies Pics?

easyrazors 01.15.2011 10:45 AM

No, I used both the cartridges of that stupid shitty 70s camera on the night Rapeman played. I think the next night with the Pixies though is the same one that was filmed and put on the Pixies DVD which came out a few years ago.

Jeremy 01.15.2011 06:32 PM

How tall is Albini? He always seemed pretty short to me but looks taller in that picture, maybe due to how skinny he is?

Great picture regardless, though.

~Jeremy~

demonrail666 01.15.2011 07:37 PM

Very cool! I was at that gig. They were playing with Band of Susans. Great gig.

atsonicpark 01.15.2011 08:12 PM

Albini is like 5'9 I think. Pretty average, maybe a bit short (I'm 5'2 though). Supernice dude.

Demonrail, I LOVE Band of Susans. One of my favorite bands. I think they're one of the most consistent bands of all time. Never released a bad album as far as I can tell.

demonrail666 01.15.2011 09:06 PM

That venue was great. Loads of cool bands going through there in the late 80s. I also remember seeing Harry Crews and Pussy Galore there at around the same time.

easyrazors 01.16.2011 03:15 AM

I was at Pussy Galore there, too. I still have the poster (which was like a Sugarshit Sharp poster with the details written in in marker pen) and the set list torn from the stage 'neath JS's boot.

It was a great venue, but it was terrible for me to get to at the time (lived in Epping).

easyrazors 01.16.2011 03:33 AM

Actually, that seemed like a golden period for seeing bands. It was almost like their home countries had rejected or were indifferent to them, but we lapped it up.
Did you go to any of these, demonrail666: Dinosaur JR supporting Sonic Youth; Nirvana at the School of Oriental Studies; Nirvana, Mudhoney & Tad together on the Lame Fest tour; Einsturzende Neubauten at the Astoria...

The great thing was, as I remember, that when most bands played it would coincide with some signing session in the old Rough Trade shop which was beneath Slam City Skates in Neals Yard in Covent Garden. I don't remember the name of the man who used to work there (always dressed in a shirt & tie, brown tweed jacket and beige trousers or something) but it seemed he was always spotted in the crowd whenever a good band was playing, haha. I wish I could thank him for putting me on to B.A.L.L one day.

easyrazors 01.16.2011 03:46 AM

Andrés 01.19.2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyrazors
No, I used both the cartridges of that stupid shitty 70s camera on the night Rapeman played. I think the next night with the Pixies though is the same one that was filmed and put on the Pixies DVD which came out a few years ago.

The Pixies footage from the DVD shot was at the Town and Country Club.

easyrazors 01.19.2011 12:25 PM

Ah, thanks. That would explain the lack of Mean Fiddler logo on the DVD footage. It made me look up the date, though; April 1988. I don't remember Throwing Muses playing at all,heh,and I was sober.

easyrazors 01.19.2011 12:37 PM

Now I'm even more confused, having looked up the date Rapeman played; October 1988. I'd have bet my life on them being on consecutive days. Must look into this further...

demonrail666 01.25.2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyrazors
demonrail666: Dinosaur JR supporting Sonic Youth; Nirvana at the School of Oriental Studies; Nirvana, Mudhoney & Tad together on the Lame Fest tour; Einsturzende Neubauten at the Astoria...

I saw the Dinosaur/SY one but that's it. The Butthole Surfers gig at the Marquee was probably my favourite there. It's the one they filmed for Snub. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGPyXNuXFT8

tesla69 01.26.2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
That venue was great. Loads of cool bands going through there in the late 80s. I also remember seeing Harry Crews and Pussy Galore there at around the same time.

You saw Harry Crews play! (the band, not writer) excellent.