Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SY Zenith - Paris (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4955)

lunberg 08.08.2006 03:54 PM

SY Zenith - Paris

So ? Anyone going ? I'm surprised tickets are still on sale. Last time I saw them (october 2005 , cité de la musique), the show was sold out in a few days only...

I hope they won"t be playing the current setlists though...

Bertrand 08.10.2006 07:14 AM

I'll be there too with a friend (and if the Zénith ain't packed, the better)
Setlists tend to change a bit. By december, guess some RR songs will be replaced by a couple of "oldies" they're strarting to throw in.

phase3 08.13.2006 05:14 PM

Si je trouve la tune pour le TGV ou une bagnole pour y aller, je serai là.

towerhamlets 09.28.2006 04:05 AM

I was looking online, and my French is not that awesome...does the Zenith have a capacity of about 6000 people?? That's what I thought it said, but that seemed kind of big for SY. I'm confused.

Bal 09.28.2006 04:13 AM

im deffinetly coming. gonna book my flights today!
hope tickets will be available at the door or ill have to ask a friend in paris to buy me one.

sonicl 09.28.2006 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towerhamlets
I was looking online, and my French is not that awesome...does the Zenith have a capacity of about 6000 people?? That's what I thought it said, but that seemed kind of big for SY. I'm confused.

The site more or less says that the venue was built in 1983, is 6200 square metres in size, has two levels of seating, and has a capacity of up to 5830. By the looks of it there are three possible set ups, which allow for capacities of 6293 standing or 5783 seated, or 3959 stading or 3740 seated, or 2466 standing or 2024 seated.

Plan of venue:

Photos:

spirale 09.28.2006 05:18 AM

hope they'll pull out all the seats for the SY show!!!

connie kreski 09.28.2006 05:28 AM

not a good place at all.
strange choice...

"echkouz pour l'muzik"

Bal 10.04.2006 08:50 AM

im coming im coming!!!
jeez. havent seen the youth for more than 10 years..

lunberg 10.04.2006 10:37 AM

Shit. I just moved out from Paris :(

Bummer.

racehorse 10.07.2006 06:34 AM

dinosaur jr. has been added to this date as well.....

Bal 10.07.2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
dinosaur jr. has been added to this date as well.....

I HAVE JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS MYSELF!
AND I HAVE MY TICKET! JEEEEZUS! THIS GONNA BE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL DAY IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry for the caps :))

Bertrand 10.07.2006 02:27 PM

Dino? Are you kidding?

I saw Sonic Youth at the Zénith in 1992.
I saw Dinosaur Jr a year before that at the Elysée Montmartre (with Mike Johnson on bass).
It's gonna look like time travelling til Sonic Youth play their RR oriented set.
Hope J & the fossils play Forget the Swan.

Yes, the trip from Budapest seems quite quite worth it.

diamondsea 10.08.2006 10:03 AM

Yeah!

Seems fuckin insane, but I already booked my ticket. SY and Dino!!!

I been in Paris only once, 15 years ago for few days. So I am asking where's the Zenith exactly, how to get it, if there are hostels not so far... Anyone can help me please?

costock 10.12.2006 04:25 PM

Zénith of Paris is exactly there: http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=48.894155,2.393177& spn=0.001169,0.00339&t=h&om=1
So in the North-East of Paris, very close to the limit of the city.

It is part of the "Villette" complex, along with a museum of sciences & industry, and the "cité de la musique" where SY played last year (and which currently shows an exhibition called "Travelling Guitars", I guess this could be an appetizer before the show).

http://www.le-zenith.com/paris/
http://www.cite-musique.fr/

The closest metro station is "Porte de Pantin" (line 5). From that station, the Zenith is very easy to find.
"Porte de la Vilette" (line 7) is also OK if you know where to go (as far as I remember, the way to the Zénith is not indicated from that station)

Don't know much about the hotels in this area...

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondsea
Yeah!

Seems fuckin insane, but I already booked my ticket. SY and Dino!!!

I been in Paris only once, 15 years ago for few days. So I am asking where's the Zenith exactly, how to get it, if there are hostels not so far... Anyone can help me please?

racehorse 10.12.2006 05:30 PM

me and a group of friends are travelling down for a few days from jersey (an island between the uk and france) for this. i think we are going to try and find a cheap hostel or something to stay in, because we are basically skint. i think we are going to try and hitch a lift from st. malo down to the capital.

blue sunlover 10.12.2006 05:53 PM

Right there.

Bal 10.22.2006 06:20 AM

two dollar guitar playing there (somewhere in paris) the day after!

lunberg 11.19.2006 10:41 AM

Has anyone not bought their ticket yet? Because I'm willing to sell mine as I can't go to the gig (i now study 500 kms away and I've got a mandatory lab session at my School and midterm exams are the same week, I'm sure SY knew it and planned their concert accordingly).

The price is the same as if you bought it from the internet.

PM me if you're interested.

next step 11.19.2006 12:44 PM

who goes for sure then?

12 NELS CLINE White Out (Tom Surgal & Lin Culbertson + NC) L'ATELIER TAMPON-REMIER GALERIER | PARIS
13 SONIC YOUTH WITH DINOSAUR JR.
14 TWO DOLLAR GUITAR WITH CHRIS BROKAW + LEE RANALDO + AWESOME COLOR

Bal 11.19.2006 02:13 PM

i will be there!
coming all away from budapest! bought my flight tickets booked my tickets for the show.. everything is sorted!
dyou have any info for the 2dollar guitar gig? how much will tickets cost and all that? i have to see them.

next step 11.19.2006 02:34 PM

we could meet there for a beer.... I dont have any notices about the gigs of 12 and 14.....when I know something more I'll let you know....

next step 11.19.2006 02:46 PM

14 evening at Point Ephemere
200 quai de Valmy 75010 Paris, Paris,

http://www.concertandco.com/vconcert...7270&x=26&y=15

greenlight 11.19.2006 03:36 PM

nice guys, meeting up before the gig. it's like when i met up before the dublin gig with the boardies from ireland....strange, not strange just little wierd hehe.

bal are you from hungary??? i didn't know that. i'm really regreting that i didn't go to see sy when they played pepsi siget festival. it was WM era and i was over 18 allready at that time + budapest is nice. aghrr!

next step 11.19.2006 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
nice guys, meeting up before the gig. it's like when i met up before the dublin gig with the boardies from ireland....strange, not strange just little wierd hehe.

bal are you from hungary??? i didn't know that.

I didnt know you live in Dublin greenlight, I spent a couple of months there 2 years ago....I like Ireland very much!

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 11.28.2006 10:28 AM

Yay,

I think I can definitely attend this show, though it will be super expensive. Going from Strasbourg to Paris by train... then hanging out for an evening at a hostel. I'd love to meet up with other people going to the show, as I don't know anyone in Paris.
My two favorite bands together! I saw PJ Harvey at Zenith and was impressed. It's huge, but you can still get front row. Quite a nice atmosphere I thought.

Magik Markers in Strasbourg on Friday, too.

Bertrand 11.28.2006 12:36 PM

I think I'm gonna go to Paris by saturday, to spot an easy to find & pleasant place not too far from the Zénith, for all posters & readers to meet.

Keep you updated.

lunberg 11.28.2006 02:30 PM

Shit.

It really breaks my heart not being to attend this concert.:(

Anyway, if someone wants to go for a ridiculous price, check my ebay add :
here

or better yet ,if someone owns a private jet and can fly me back in the south of France so that i can pass my midterm exams the next day please do not hesitate...

racehorse 11.28.2006 05:07 PM

i'm there, guys. i'll be on my own so some company will be very welcome, haha.
so i'll be at the zenith and most probably at the two dollar guitar show. can't wait, paris is an amazing place.

next step 11.29.2006 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
yeah I just saw and got to hang out with AC 2 weeks ago when they were in the area and they were pumped to be playin in paris w/ steve & co.

damn, lucky muthafuckers......

well Awesome Color guys have a very good 70s groovy sound about me but then actually I dont specially like them. I'm more for Nels Cline and Lee solo ofcourse.

guitarpro 11.29.2006 12:21 PM

Not goin but would love a recording

Bal 11.30.2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight

bal are you from hungary??? i didn't know that. i'm really regreting that i didn't go to see sy when they played pepsi siget festival. it was WM era and i was over 18 allready at that time + budapest is nice. aghrr!

yeah man! im from budapesht...
i saw them on the pepsi island 10years ago. it was my best concert experience for shure. seeing sy play diamond see live..

im very lucky that i have good friends living in paris, so the whole trip will be relativly cheap for me. and i dont really care spending all my spare money. i havent seen the sonics for over ten years, they havent played anywhere near since (once in vienna but i missed that) so its really worth it.
and seeing 2dollar guitar and lee solo the next day.. man i cant even believe that.

and yeah im up to a board meeting. that should be fun!

next step 11.30.2006 06:23 AM

we could decide a meeting point close to the Zenith an hour before the show so who want to come.....

google earth Zenith ccoordinates: "Zénith" lat=48.8943349237, lon=2.39333783287

so someone know a good place there where we could meet for a beer coffee? just not the McDonald!

sonicl 11.30.2006 06:38 AM

From what I remember from going to Cite de la Musique last year, the area around La Villete didn't have many bars, but there is this:

Café de la Musique 213 av Jean-Jaurès, 19e
Part of the Cité de la Musique, this café, with a popular terrace just inside the La Villette complex, was designed by the Cité architect Portzamparc and exudes sophistication, discretion and comfort, but be prepared to pay over the odds for a coffee. M° Porte-de-Pantin. Daily till 2am.

pokkeherrie 11.30.2006 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by next step
so someone know a good place there where we could meet for a beer coffee? just not the McDonald!

"...and in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonalds... Do you know what they call a Quarter-Pounder with cheese in Paris?"

natalie 11.30.2006 08:00 AM

I will be there ... yeah

sonicl 11.30.2006 08:12 AM

Hello natalie. Welcome to sonic youth gossip.

next step 11.30.2006 08:32 AM

yes you are welcome Natalie!

thanks sonicl for the advice,could be works! someone knows other kinky places close to the Zenith?

what they mean for a Quarter-Pounder if not what they call a double cheese burger? ?

Bertrand 12.01.2006 12:43 PM

Back from the place.
I saw the Café de la Musique mentioned above. First thing you see is the terrace, with iron chairs. Kinda cold. Inside, it looks as if everything was made to impress you, kinda higher class than you'll ever get. Seems dark inside. It would turn me off. An invitation to keep my mouth shut. 2, 70 € a coffee, 5 for a beer or a Coke.
Across the street is a warmer-looking bar, where you won't feel like being judged when you walk in. It's called l'Horloge. 2,30 € for a coffee and 4 for a beer or a Coke.
Métro Porte de Pantin (line 5, direction Bobigny). Exit Sente des Dorées. It's a the corner of la Sente des Dorées and the avenue Jean Jaurès. N° 210 avenue Jean Jaurès.
What do you say? Higher class or regular friendly old Paris like café (I don't wanna influence or hurt anybody)?
I'll be at the one most of us choose before 6 p.m.
I'll probably wear Columbo's raincoat over a two-tones of grey woollen pullover-sweater with black stripes, and have a white Born Bad bag with skull & bones on it.

next step 12.01.2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

and have a white Born Bad bag with skull & bones on it.

haha Bertrand, now I have fear to meet you! Horloge sounds definitely good to me! someone know at what time we should be inside the Zenith?