Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic 2012 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=67269)

toxic johnny 01.01.2012 12:32 PM

I remember talk of a Spectre Folk full length recorded at Echo Canyon with SS in the lineup to be released by his Vampire Blues imprint. Further evidence that Steve is going to be a very busy man this year...

Moshe 01.02.2012 12:21 AM

The Ancient Storm - Spectre Folk (Pete Nolan, Peter Meehan, Aaron Mullan, Steve Shelley (LP, Vampire Blues 02)!

sonicgen 01.02.2012 06:50 PM

I remember hearing a year or so ago that SY was releasing an "art box-set" that would contain a cassette version of Dirty done by Beck. Was this a myth?

RanaldoNecro 01.02.2012 08:07 PM

I think that was EVOL. He did release "Green Light" which was a start.

I don't expect to see any SY release this year but am grateful that they got to release the 4 early albums and TYPB with updated audio before they went on hiatus. Those four re-releases only look much more tempting a year later.

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.02.2012 08:55 PM

"Sibling" by Big Nils is now available in cassette tape form here:
http://bignils.bigcartel.com/

I have the impression the artwork could have been made by Bill Nace, does anyone has any information about the subject?

stu666 01.03.2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie

I have the impression the artwork could have been made by Bill Nace, does anyone has any information about the subject?

I think you're probably right.... it was mixed by Justin Pizzoferrato and Bill Nace.

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.03.2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
I think you're probably right.... it was mixed by Justin Pizzoferrato and Bill Nace.

Yeah, I know that and think it would be reasonable if Bill Nace would have made the artwork as well, but so far it's just an unconfirmed suspicion. I'm ordering the tape, regardless. Guess I'll know when it gets here. :)

threelobed 01.03.2012 02:14 PM

there's a very good chance that i can add another three lobed thing to this list within a day or two. glacial LP will be march / april most likely - audio is still being mastered and packaging needs to be determined...

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.03.2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threelobed
there's a very good chance that i can add another three lobed thing to this list within a day or two. glacial LP will be march / april most likely - audio is still being mastered and packaging needs to be determined...

Awesome.

Pelle 01.04.2012 04:41 PM

jennthebenn 01.04.2012 07:05 PM

The whole "Thurston still looks young" thing stopped being true a few years ago.
It was bound to happen, the man had a good run.

Pelle 01.04.2012 07:18 PM

I don't care at all, still the exact same guy.

I just did the pic when I was tired and bored.

threelobed 01.04.2012 10:17 PM

so, i can now announce this one. three lobed is taking our first step into a record store day release. it's a compilation of some of interesting guitar "voices" of the modern landscape.

TLR-091
"eight trails, one path"

from (alpha) - alvarius b., sir richard bishop, david daniell, danny paul grody, steve gunn, lee ranaldo, six organs of admittance, william tyler

new art from casey burns in a wraparound letterpress matchbook. liner essay by grayson currin. edition size and all is currently being worked out and the audio is currently being mastered.

The Soup Nazi 01.05.2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

so, i can now announce this one. three lobed is taking our first step into a record store day release. it's a compilation of some of interesting guitar "voices" of the modern landscape.

TLR-091
"eight trails, one path"

from (alpha) - alvarius b., sir richard bishop, david daniell, danny paul grody, steve gunn, lee ranaldo, six organs of admittance, william tyler

new art from casey burns in a wraparound letterpress matchbook. liner essay by grayson currin. edition size and all is currently being worked out and the audio is currently being mastered.

Bitchen...

stu666 01.05.2012 03:58 PM

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matabl...music-to-boot/

...Matador Records & True Panther Sounds’ 2012 Intended Play Sampler hits shelves on January 14 ...its costs $1.98!?!

1 THE YOUNG – Don’t Hustle For Love*
2 KURT VILE – Life’s A Beach
3 GIRLS – My Ma
4 CEREMONY – Hysteria*
5 TANLINES – TBA
6 LEE RANALDO– Off The Wall*
7 FUCKED UP – Into The Light
8 ESBEN & THE WITCH – Hexagons II
9 PERFUME GENIUS – All Waters*
10 COLD CAVE – Confetti (edit)
11 STEPHEN MALKMUS & THE JICKS – Polvo*
* unreleased

The Soup Nazi 01.05.2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Not a Michael Jackson cover, I presume...

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.05.2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

TLR-091
"eight trails, one path"

Not too excited about the potential Record Store Day exclusivity as it is really a pain to track some of those down. There isn't even one participating record store around these heathen places. However, I think it will be worth the time and effort to try to get a copy of it. Thanks, and best of luck in this new adventure.

threelobed 01.05.2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Not too excited about the potential Record Store Day exclusivity as it is really a pain to track some of those down. There isn't even one participating record store around these heathen places. However, I think it will be worth the time and effort to try to get a copy of it. Thanks, and best of luck in this new adventure.

we are planning on holding some of these back for mailorder purposes. or so goes the plan - this thing is just starting up...

Chris Lawrence 01.05.2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

...Matador Records & True Panther Sounds’ 2012 Intended Play Sampler hits shelves on January 14 ...its costs $1.98!?!

* unreleased

woohoo! i was sad that a studio 'polvo' never surfaced. and thrilled to see a lee track will be available in a week and a half. :)

$2 vinyl!? matador's own loss leaders!

blunderbuss 01.06.2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

1 THE YOUNG – Don’t Hustle For Love*
2 KURT VILE – Life’s A Beach
3 GIRLS – My Ma
4 CEREMONY – Hysteria*
5 TANLINES – TBA
7 FUCKED UP – Into The Light
8 ESBEN & THE WITCH – Hexagons II
9 PERFUME GENIUS – All Waters*
10 COLD CAVE – Confetti (edit)
* unreleased

Love the cover to that - presumably a homage to one of the greatest label samplers of my youth