Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Death -> Sonic Youth EP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1130)

Fox 04.21.2006 10:30 AM

Sonic Death -> Sonic Youth EP

I'm listening to Sonic Youth EP right now, and I'm SURE that the live version of She is Not Alone is on Sonic Death.

It's one of the segments said "possibly Destroyer" on the song database

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 04.21.2006 10:39 AM

I think it's just a snippet of the song at one point... one of the strangely coherent parts of the disc.

I don't really ever find myself listening to Sonic Death... it makes my brain so weary!

Fox 04.21.2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I think it's just a snippet of the song at one point... one of the strangely coherent parts of the disc.

I don't really ever find myself listening to Sonic Death... it makes my brain so weary!

Yeah, it's just the beginning of the song on Sonic Death, but you can heard exactly the same thing

Fox 04.21.2006 11:38 AM

Yeah, now I can tell you where it is in Sonic Death...

It's in side one, segment between 05:05 and 07:16

:)

CHOUT 04.21.2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox
It's one of the segments said "possibly Destroyer" on the song database

It was said for a long time that Destroyer was a song where the guitars were detuned and played with lots of slack on the strings, which would explain the assumption.
I love that show, I've always been fascinated hearing early SY stuff and it's nice to have a show that you can recognize Sonic Death segments. Hopefully more will turn up - there's lots of fucked up jams on there that would be cool to hear in their entirety!

CHOUT 04.21.2006 08:09 PM

BTW
Also from that show, the bridge of Burning Spear and the quiet part of Loud and Soft (The Good and The Bad) are on Sonic Death.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 04.21.2006 10:02 PM

Ive got to give that a listen. Havent heard in a while.

Chris Lawrence 04.21.2006 11:40 PM

yup-----'good and the bad' / 'she is not alone' / 'burning spear' --- elements of all are in ;sonic death';.......

very very interesting

i think 'destroyer' was mis-descrip per foege../confusion.,...seems to relat emore to SINA

Fox 04.22.2006 02:04 PM

Yeah, I repered the Loud and Soft yesterday too. But, about Burning Spear, do you mean one of the version of Burning Spear on the live or the passage said on the song database "sounding like remeniscents of Confusion is Next", etc? Because this segment is sure from Burning Spear, but I don't think it comes from this show, cause the segment lasts for at least 1 minute and the segment on Sonic Youth EP is only about 30 seconds...

nomadicfollower 04.22.2006 02:23 PM

Sadly, I haven't been lucky enough to hear Sonic Death...

Chris Lawrence 04.22.2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fox
Yeah, I repered the Loud and Soft yesterday too. But, about Burning Spear, do you mean one of the version of Burning Spear on the live or the passage said on the song database "sounding like remeniscents of Confusion is Next", etc? Because this segment is sure from Burning Spear, but I don't think it comes from this show, cause the segment lasts for at least 1 minute and the segment on Sonic Youth EP is only about 30 seconds...

the bit on side 1 of sonic death that comes before 'confusion is next' (i think what you're referencing) is definitely from the same show that's on the EP reissue. the reason i never noticed it was 'burning spear' is cuz the one note gets kind of obliterated and the way its edited alters the overall riff, but as soon as i heard the reissue i recognized it. it might be looped a bit on SD.

CHOUT 04.22.2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
the bit on side 1 of sonic death that comes before 'confusion is next' (i think what you're referencing) is definitely from the same show that's on the EP reissue. the reason i never noticed it was 'burning spear' is cuz the one note gets kind of obliterated and the way its edited alters the overall riff, but as soon as i heard the reissue i recognized it. it might be looped a bit on SD.

The Burning Spear bridge from this show sounds like Thurston was having fun with a volume knob on Sonic Death, how it raises and drops in volume.

Chris Lawrence, good sir: When will we see more updates on the Chronology?

Fox 04.23.2006 12:07 PM

I second that question. (there should be a private message on your box with some helps on radio presenter translations...)