Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goo... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16234)

MysticalChicken 09.11.2007 04:58 PM

Goo...

just gets better and better every time I listen to it.

That is all.

Carry on.

I still need to buy Daydream Nation. I'll do that ASAP, but I'm low on money right now.

MysticalChicken 09.11.2007 06:46 PM

What do you mean, "weird joke"? Does that mean that my opinion is "wrong" in some way? It's my opinion. I posted in my intro post that I'm just getting into SY, and this is the only album I have by them so far, and there are a lot of CDs I have that I like better with each listen. Oh, and which CD are you referring to, anyway?

(If you want a weird joke, here's one:

What's the difference between a lobster and a muffin?

Purple, because ice cream has no bones.

I said it was weird. I didn't say it was funny.)

pbradley 09.12.2007 01:40 AM

Better than Dirty, I say.

king_buzzo 09.12.2007 02:25 AM

reassesing goo #2?

pbradley 09.12.2007 02:44 AM

Nope, just love.

pecking order 09.12.2007 03:18 AM

Goo has a great summery feel to it.

After all these years it's still up there :)

atsonicpark 09.12.2007 04:00 AM

Well.. uh.. we just all reassessed goo endlessly in another thread, but for some reason I found myself going back and listening to it 3 or 4 times after listening to it for that thread (I didn't do that with their other albums)... anyway.. my thoughts still stand.. good riffs, production sounds a bit muddy in places (Mary-Christ), GREAT drumming, a few real throwaway tracks (Friend Goo, Scooter, Mildred), sassy vocals/occassionally bad lyrics ("Hi-dee-ho" "Story of the jelly roll" "hello, Janis" haha), but the album has "Dirty boots" and "titanium Expose", by far and away two of SY's best songs... so... I dunno. If I were to rate it out of 10, I'd give it a 7. Sounds about right.

_slavo_ 09.12.2007 05:58 AM

what's so "throwaway" about Mildred Pierce?

atsonicpark 09.12.2007 06:09 AM

uhh.. have you heard it? Heh. It's pretty much a joke song with one part and then some screaming. By my estimates, "my friend goo" is less of a throwaway -- though it's just a really awful song.

sarramkrop 09.12.2007 06:10 AM

Yawn.

Markrutconn 09.12.2007 08:09 AM

Titanium Expose alone makes Goo a great album.

dirk diggler 09.12.2007 08:50 AM

Goo. Yes, I remember being with them in the studio while Ron St. Germaine mixed Dirty Boots. Kim was particularly charming that day (NOT!). Then I convinced K and T to get Geffen to rent them a Limosine to take them to the record release party. They picked me up at work and we smoked a big doobie on the way to Maxwell's.

Washing Machine 09.12.2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecking order
Goo has a great summery feel to it.

After all these years it's still up there :)

Yeah, all the albums from Goo to Washing Machine feel like summer records

MysticalChicken 09.12.2007 01:35 PM

I'm actually not too fond of "Mildred Pierce"... it's possibly my least-favorite track on the album. I don't like the screaming. But I like the first minute and a half of it enough to not skip it.

So far my favorite track is still "Disappearer" which is the song that got me into Sonic Youth in the first place.

Markrutconn 09.12.2007 02:38 PM

Goo feels like a warm summer breeze, Dirty is like the last day of school, Experimental Jet Set is a frosty February blizzard, Washing Machine is Paris in spring.

syntax-free 09.12.2007 05:37 PM

this was the first album i bought

syntax-free 09.12.2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markrutconn
Goo feels like a warm summer breeze, Dirty is like the last day of school, Experimental Jet Set is a frosty February blizzard, Washing Machine is Paris in spring.

and daydream nation is living on the street.

_slavo_ 09.13.2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
uhh.. have you heard it? Heh. It's pretty much a joke song with one part and then some screaming. By my estimates, "my friend goo" is less of a throwaway -- though it's just a really awful song.

it's just a matter of opinion, isn't it? that "one part" is absolutely wonderful according to myself - and when it comes to the screaming part, i just press skip.

atsonicpark 09.13.2007 12:02 PM

I didn't say the "one part" wasn't good. I said the track was a throwaway. And it is. That's not an opinion; it's OBVIOUSLY filler. There is no great arching theme on the album where it really needs to be there in order to fill some kind of continuation or something... same for "scooter and jinx". I know some people might worship a minute of 4 feedback solos, but......

Protectmeyou 09.14.2007 10:27 PM

Goo = Genius