Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   why do sonic youth play only 1and half hour shows? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22484)

Bal 06.11.2008 05:25 AM

why do sonic youth play only 1and half hour shows?

ive been thinking about this for a while.
whys that?
they always play EXACTLY one and half hour shows!
(except if its an improv gig)

cure often do play for 3 hours.. (not that i like them)
nick cave played for 2 hours here in budapest
many rock bands play much longer than 1andhlaf hours.
even fuckin kyle minogue plays for 2and a half - altho its not a fully live gig its more like a show,
but she fuckin dances for 2and a half hours nonstop! (not that i care tbh its just an example)

sonic youth do have millions of songs to play.. why so short then?
its acceptable on a big festival but not on a 'solo' show..
c'mon guys do some more!

Cantankerous 06.11.2008 05:28 AM

because i can't stand up and dance for any longer.

Death & the Maiden 06.11.2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
sonic youth do have millions of songs to play.. why so short then?

I guess it's because they don't like rehashing a lot of their older material. Other bands will go through their back catologue and play all their hits and popular songs, and therefore they have much longer shows. Maybe SY want to be a forward moving band who are showing that they still have a lot to offer?

luisxvi 06.11.2008 05:43 AM

I think maybe its because they play a lot and so to do three hours every night is hard plus most places have a cerfew so they are limited with time etc.

Cantankerous 06.11.2008 05:46 AM

don't lie to yourselves, it's because they're old.

blunderbuss 06.11.2008 05:46 AM

Could it be a throwback to their early days? To a band with no-wave origins, a scene where the average show would probably be no more than twenty minutes, even a ninety minute show must be almost an act of selling out.

GrungeMonkey 06.11.2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Could it be a throwback to their early days? To a band with no-wave origins, a scene where the average show would probably be no more than twenty minutes, even a ninety minute show must be almost an act of selling out.

selling outs the new punk, man

HECKLER SPRAY 06.11.2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I guess it's because they don't like rehashing a lot of their older material. Other bands will go through their back catologue and play all their hits and popular songs, and therefore they have much longer shows. Maybe SY want to be a forward moving band who are showing that they still have a lot to offer?

Not sure, 'cause during the RR tour, most of the time they didn't play any songs from their "not so old" albums like A thousand Leaves, NYC Ghosts and flowers, Murray Street, Sonic Nurse...
Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't look to enjoy playing songs from their 00's era like they are for their older stuffs.
Yeah, they've grown older. It's life.

atsonicpark 06.11.2008 07:16 AM

1 1/2 hours seems like plenty...

tasteinmen 06.11.2008 07:29 AM

tbh as much as I'd love to see the cure live, I don't think I have the patience to stand there for 3 hours (probably more with a support band), not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but because I get uncomfortable standing around for ages, and I'm an athlete! I think an hour and half is just right.
If you look at the setlists from SY's tour history you'll find a lack of older material in the majority of their setlists, I noticed that when listening to a sister bootleg.

whorefrost 06.11.2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

exactly. I wondered wtf the topic of this thread meant, like why do they play for so long or something? then yr comparing them to the Cure and Kylie Minogue?!

I remember reading an interview with Kim after signing to Geffen where she said one of the main differences about being on a major label was that they had to play longer sets.. like it wasn't necessarilly a good thing..

Rob Instigator 06.11.2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
because i can't stand up and dance for any longer.

this is my reason too

Rob Instigator 06.11.2008 08:22 AM

the more songs they play the more guitars they have to travel with, especially for older songs.

harlock_jds 06.11.2008 09:44 AM

Dirty tour had shows shorter than an hour and a half :)

uhler 06.11.2008 01:02 PM

yeah even with sonic youth i wouldn't be able to stand there for even an hour and a half.

Bal 06.11.2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
don't lie to yourselves, it's because they're old.

thats not true! the stones are old not sonic youth!
they are around as old as nick cave and robert smith and his band mates..
and when they were younger they didnt play longer either.

Quote:

im not saying they should play 3 hour long shows.
but 2 was superb!!!

the ikara cult 06.11.2008 02:13 PM

I can speak only for the Daydream Nation gig i saw in September, but thats enough time for me. That gig was £30 or so, and lasted 2 hours (as well as being a "special occasion" of sorts) with encores. And i dunno how much you pay for a 3 hour Cure gig, but its a different kettle of roundabouts.

deflinus 06.11.2008 02:45 PM

theyre getting old. thats it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.11.2008 02:54 PM

I have seen them play a bit longer, but when you really think about it, over an hour for a single set is grateful dead territory, and it takes certain artists to be able to take their art that far night after night. I saw this reggae band, groundation, last friday, they always play two sets, an hour and half each, and it is just so much fucking energy it is insane, it takes a lot out of you to participate with that, especially if you are not a wallflower.

Everyneurotic 06.11.2008 02:59 PM

i rather leave wanting to see them again rather than get sick of them playing for too long.