Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Am I the only person who doesnt think Sister is that good? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35668)

the ikara cult 11.06.2009 03:05 PM

Am I the only person who doesnt think Sister is that good?

Ive always had a problem with Sister, i dont know if its because the first time i listened to it i was on the tube with a malfunctioning CD player and cheap headphones, but i think alot of the songs on there - Schizophrenia, White Kross, Tuff Gnarl - are incredibly overrated. Catholic Block, Beauty Lies and Cotton Crown are fantastic tunes, but its really not remarkable as a collection of songs beyond that in ones humble opinion

It doesnt help that when i saw the band a couple of years ago the only song they played from that whole period (bar DDN as it was a DDN gig) was Schizophrenia.

Am I alone?

Chris Lawrence 11.06.2009 03:07 PM

Yup.

Keeping It Simple 11.06.2009 03:10 PM

It sounds crazy, as I'm a fan of the band, but I've never listened to "Sister".

greedrex 11.06.2009 03:11 PM

^^ I'm writing to Chabbib so you get banned.

Keeping It Simple 11.06.2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex

I'll never get banned as Kim likes me SO much.

the ikara cult 11.06.2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex

I knew this would happen.... do i get to choose which desert i am banished to?

Kannibal 11.06.2009 03:16 PM

mojave probably.

automatic bzooty 11.06.2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
It sounds crazy, as I'm a fan of the band, but I've never listened to "Sister".

go listen to it!

YOU HAVE ONE LAST CHANCE TO SAVE YR SOUL

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.06.2009 03:50 PM

I think Evol's better, but Sister has a lot of classic SY tunes on it.

The Earl Of Slander 11.06.2009 03:55 PM

Sister is still amazing, but it's always been probably my least favourite of the 80s albums, including The Whitey Album. At the very least, DDN, EVOL, and CIS all blow it away. I don't know what it is about it, as I like all the songs on it, but as a whole it always just seems to drift past me without ever really clicking. I really wish I could love it as much as some seem to, but it just never really happens for me. Schizophrenia and Kotton Krown are both stunning though.

badgercorn 11.06.2009 04:00 PM

I think the songs on Sister are all amazing but I don't like the production. I'd take big, Butch Vig, Dirty production over Sister's lo-fi-ness any day. THEN AGAIN I've only heard it on CD, so if i heard it on vinyl or a better mastering of the CD my opiniuon might change..

toxic johnny 11.06.2009 04:09 PM

Try to listen to it LOUD on vinyl NOW... I order you.

hevusa 11.06.2009 04:18 PM

My favorite sonic youth album is sister.

Satan 11.06.2009 04:20 PM

this thread is bullshit

noisereductions 11.06.2009 04:24 PM

"Schizo" alone is worth the cost of admission.

Rob Instigator 11.06.2009 04:29 PM

Do you mean "not that good" compared to other SY output? or do you mean "not that good" in the general sense of suck?

I can respect the former, although I patently disagree, but if you mean the latter
FUICKING A MA N FUCK FUCK YOU GOT TO HXCHTeclenaOUT YRFUCKING EARS FGODDMAMN TURENTHAT SHIT UP TO 11 AND PBVLAST IT OR BETTER YET FIND A NF4IND WITRH A BAD ASS STERE SUYSTEM IN THEIR CAR AN DRIVE AROUNDALL NIGHT TLIOSTETI TG SUISTER IS A NIGHT RECORD ANIGHT MNUSCIOD DBFFVFVFUFICKFUFDCFUJKCUFJKFUFKUIFIfuiuuuuicxjkkkk kkkk

the ikara cult 11.06.2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Do you mean "not that good" compared to other SY output? or do you mean "not that good" in the general sense of suck?

I can respect the former, although I patently disagree, but if you mean the latter
FUICKING A MA N FUCK FUCK YOU GOT TO HXCHTeclenaOUT YRFUCKING EARS FGODDMAMN TURENTHAT SHIT UP TO 11 AND PBVLAST IT OR BETTER YET FIND A NF4IND WITRH A BAD ASS STERE SUYSTEM IN THEIR CAR AN DRIVE AROUNDALL NIGHT TLIOSTETI TG SUISTER IS A NIGHT RECORD ANIGHT MNUSCIOD DBFFVFVFUFICKFUFDCFUJKCUFJKFUFKUIFIfuiuuuuicxjkkkk kkkk

Of course its better than most rock music, it has some great songs on it, i just dont get its elevation as one of the best albums ever and one of SYs best albums ever, i tend to put it in the bottom 2 or 3 of their studio albums. Its never grown on me in the way that A Thousand Leaves or Washing Machine have.

Rob Instigator 11.06.2009 04:44 PM

Ikara, it gets a lot of praise, and got a lot of praise because in 1986 so much massive suck was flooding the stereos. I think that sister is the one SY album that truly shaped what became "alternative rock" later on.
It was the first one where SY really explored the standard rock song format, fucking with it, building up songs without any "rational" conclusions, exploring that warm analog effect thurston loves so much.

Rob Instigator 11.06.2009 04:44 PM

by comparison washing machine has too many songs that are completely irrelevant to me.

the ikara cult 11.06.2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Ikara, it gets a lot of praise, and got a lot of praise because in 1986 so much massive suck was flooding the stereos. I think that sister is the one SY album that truly shaped what became "alternative rock" later on.
It was the first one where SY really explored the standard rock song format, fucking with it, building up songs without any "rational" conclusions, exploring that warm analog effect thurston loves so much.

see, that sort of explaination means nothing to me. Bad Moon Rising and Evol - Daydream Nation and Goo. Inconceivably magnificent pieces of work. Sister just stands in the middle and doesnt stand up to those high water marks.