Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33742)

Latham 08.18.2009 02:52 PM

Question

Listening to Nirvana's In Utero just now. (Better than Bleach or SLTS, dont listen to the hype.) Anyway, on the track "Tourette's" there's a guy at the very beginning who says "Moderate rock." It sounds EXACTLY like Thurston Moore. Ive spent a good 20 minuites on wikkipedia and google, and have yet to find any answers. Can someone confirm?

noisereductions 08.18.2009 03:09 PM

OMFG

Zombie Robot 08.18.2009 03:35 PM

wait. is this a real question? be nice NR. sometimes i feel bad being mean to the new boardies, esp when u aholes were all SO f-ing nice to me. :rolleyes:

yr 08.18.2009 03:37 PM

Sorry dude I don't know but why does it matter?

godsfavoritedog 08.18.2009 03:41 PM

It was a little known guy named Kurt Cobain who said it. There's not a lot of info about him out there, but I think he's dead now.

atsonicpark 08.18.2009 03:42 PM

Yeah... I'd say it's almost, 100% definitely Kurt saying it.

Be funnier if it was Albini saying it, though.

Zombie Robot 08.18.2009 03:43 PM

its kurt saying it. making fun of mediocre rock and industry hype, etc.

radarmaker 08.18.2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Robot
its kurt saying it. making fun of mediocre rock and industry hype, etc.

"Moderate rock" is one of the classifications you'll find on sheet music to give some idea of the tempo of the song. I assume Kurt lifted it from there in typically sarcastic fashion.

static-harmony 08.18.2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

wait. is this a real question? be nice NR. sometimes i feel bad being to the new boardies, esp when u aholes were all SO f-ing nice to me. :rolleyes:

You posted pics first. And I agree with everyone it might have been Kurt.

noisereductions 08.18.2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

wait. is this a real question? be nice NR. sometimes i feel bad being mean to the new boardies, esp when u aholes were all SO f-ing nice to me. :rolleyes:

pfff. what's with the new avatar?

infinitemusic 08.18.2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latham
Listening to Nirvana's In Utero just now. (Better than Bleach or SLTS, dont listen to the hype.) Anyway, on the track "Tourette's" there's a guy at the very beginning who says "Moderate rock." It sounds EXACTLY like Thurston Moore. Ive spent a good 20 minuites on wikkipedia and google, and have yet to find any answers. Can someone confirm?

I'm pretty sure it's Kurt.

And yeah In Utero is their best album

ni'k 08.18.2009 08:16 PM

IF U PALY IT BAKCWERDS IT SAYS MURDERIATE KURT PRUF DAT KRUT WS MAURDERED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PcNcW9sU1A

JEGGERMEISTER WHEN DO YOU WANT
SAVE THE NOOBS FOR NOTHING
WILL YOU LOVE THE VAN MOVER?

Latham 08.19.2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
OMFG

Jesus, you don't have to be a dick. Chill out. It just didn't sound like KC to me, and Sonic Youth and nirvana were pals at the time it was recorded.

alteredcourse 08.19.2009 12:45 AM

FUCK

Chris Lawrence 08.19.2009 01:37 AM

i'd never doubted that it was kurt. yet curiously enough, there was a very recent thread on a (serious) nirvana board where someone sincerely asked whether it was sampled straight from one of those instructional music discs...

(which is, of course, what he was most likely parodying)

never heard it suggested that it might be thurston though!

that's okay. i thought thurston sang 'i wanna be yr dog' for a long time. i also thought kim sang 'screaming skull' (which is apparently not an uncommon mistake!).

Sonic Youth Gossip 08.19.2009 06:03 AM

I was in a band once and tourettes was the only song we could play. I personally think it's a real kick ass track.

Jeremy 08.19.2009 08:20 AM

It's Kurt 100%... Personally I don't think it sounds anything like Thurston.

And In Utero completely creams Bleach. BELIEVE the hype. Bleach blows.

~Jeremy~

SONIC GAIL 08.19.2009 08:28 AM

Poco a poco

noisereductions 08.19.2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latham
Jesus, you don't have to be a dick. Chill out. It just didn't sound like KC to me, and Sonic Youth and nirvana were pals at the time it was recorded.

actually if you weren't new you'd know that I do have to be a dick. I'm generally known as the least-nicest guy around here. Right, dudes?

Zombie Robot 08.19.2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
pfff. what's with the new avatar?

why is everyone 'pffft-ing' me. thats MY thing! and what? do u not approve sir? its TWO zombot chicks w/sexy mouths. thought u'd be all about it. :rolleyes: