Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where to Start With Stereolab? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14899)

SynthethicalY 07.20.2007 02:13 AM

Where to Start With Stereolab?

Any suggestions?

Pookie 07.20.2007 02:32 AM

I wouldn't bother.

_slavo_ 07.20.2007 02:44 AM

I would. Start off with "Dots and Loops" or "Emperor Tomato Ketchup". Not too experimental, yet worth checking out.

SynthethicalY 07.20.2007 02:45 AM

Thanks.

sarramkrop 07.20.2007 03:58 AM

Mars Audiac Quintet for sure.

fugazifan 07.20.2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Mars Audiac Quintet for sure.

yeah!
or emperor tomato ketchup
my first stereolab album was Random transient noise bursts with announcments. which is also great. moe noisy, although not necesarilly the best place to start with them...

Toilet & Bowels 07.20.2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Personally, I don't you can go wrong with any Stereolab album.

i pretty much agree with this although i'd say that "space age bachelor pad music" and "instant 0 in the universe" are not good ones to start with.

Green Magnesium 07.20.2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Personally, I don't you can go wrong with any Stereolab album. Being new to the group and all, I highly recommend you start off with: 'Oscillons From The Anti-Sun.' It's sort of a greatest hits 3 cd / 1 dvd box set. I think I paid around $17 for it here in the states......the initial pressing (which are still out there) contains stickers from each original EP artwork. Well worth the money and time to search it out.

He knows what he's talking about ^

This box contains the majority of the band's EPs in their entirety, including most of their singles, and the DVD is a nice compliment with 3 great live performances. This is actually how I started delving through their music.

SynthethicalY 07.20.2007 11:01 AM

Thanks I will look for that on my next paycheck.

jon boy 07.20.2007 11:36 AM

i started with peng and emperor tomato ketchup. go from there.

atsonicpark 07.20.2007 04:47 PM

start with any, since after a certain point they all sound pretty similiar..

i like the one with jenny iodine on it a lot, and that one's pretty different from their other stuff. but i'd go with dots and loops.

demonrail666 07.20.2007 07:15 PM

The title of the thread sort of says it all: Stereolab, where do you start?

atsonicpark 07.20.2007 07:50 PM

Yes, indeed, where to start with a band so consistantly innovative, beautiful, and listenable? If only all bands could be as good as stereolab!

CHOUT 07.20.2007 08:44 PM

The song Percolator from Emperor Tomato Ketchup got me into them instantly when I heard it on the radio, if that helps.

Ono Soul 07.20.2007 09:27 PM

"Mars Audiac Quintent" and/or "Emperor Tomato Ketchup" are good places to start. "Dots And Loops" is pretty groovy to, although I must admit, I haven't kept up with their last few albums so I'm far from an expert or anything....

Dead-Air 07.21.2007 12:50 AM

I started with Switched On and I think that really makes more sense than beginning with a later record. Switched On is a singles comp, but it's their indie roots, and it stands up perfectly well against the later stuff.

fugazifan 07.21.2007 02:58 AM

im listening to space moth right now. what a great fucking songs. unfortunatly, sound dust starts great, but always kind of drags on after a few songs...
but it is worth it if not for this song only....

sarramkrop 07.21.2007 10:17 AM

I've bought Peng first, and still like it a lot.

Iain 07.21.2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Personally, I don't you can go wrong with any Stereolab album. Being new to the group and all, I highly recommend you start off with: 'Oscillons From The Anti-Sun.' It's sort of a greatest hits 3 cd / 1 dvd box set. I think I paid around $17 for it here in the states......the initial pressing (which are still out there) contains stickers from each original EP artwork. Well worth the money and time to search it out.

I'd third this I think. I'd be inclined to say that unless you end up a big Stereolab fan then this might be all you need. A perfect place to sample their wares being as it's pretty much 3cds for the price of one and has a lot of their best cuts on it.

greedrex 10.11.2008 07:51 AM

Nobody even mentioned "Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night". it's my fave along with ETK.