Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Jet Set question (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=661)

Fox 04.06.2006 02:17 PM

Experimental Jet Set question

Well, on the official discography it is said that you can clearly hear Sister playing on Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star, especially between tracks: I turned the volume up but I wasn't able to hear anything else than silence... So, where is the truth? Is that a joke from this site?

Flow my Tears 04.06.2006 02:47 PM

Maybe this means both have been record in the same studio, Sear Sound. This is just a guess...

Fox 04.06.2006 02:52 PM

No, they insist on it on the history but they say it's more than this...

Check the following link:

http://sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp6.html

amestria 04.06.2006 03:05 PM

Weird, I never noticed, but yeah, you are right.

amestria

scott v 04.06.2006 03:16 PM

The master tapes from Sister (circa 1987) were used to record over for the EJST&NS sessions in 1993, cionicidentally both albums were recorded at Sear Sound also, they used the old master tapes to get a more lo-fi recording er something like that... that is why you can hear bits and pieces of Sister songs during the silent breaks in EJT&NS, at least i can with headphones and a decent stereo system.

sellouteater 04.06.2006 03:57 PM

Does anyone hear something at the beginng of Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream

trance feeeedback 04.06.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sellouteater
Does anyone hear something at the beginng of Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream

yeah I made a post about that a long time ago on the old bored, and nobody replied! It's thurston yelling something...but I could never figure out what.

sellouteater 04.06.2006 04:06 PM

I heard it once and when i tryed to play it again i couldn't hear it

schizophrenicroom 04.06.2006 07:43 PM

It sounds like "pull that goddamn..."

IntoTheGroovey 04.06.2006 11:03 PM

I noticed this as well when I was listening to the album with headphones a few weeks ago.

Lone Flanger 04.07.2006 12:04 AM

You miss so much without a halfway decent pair of headphones.

There were a few mp3 clips posted years ago that had been 'turned up' at parts where you can really hear it.

next step 04.07.2006 05:14 AM

yeah, I'm agree with scott v. I think it really went in that way for EJSNS.
it could be heard some high freq gtr from sister recordings in the 'quiet' moments and in headphone.

crappydrummer 04.07.2006 05:57 AM

i don't get this at all. their previous album was their best selling lp and they ereased sister masters to save a few bucks?that's insane. wonder if we will hear bits of EJSTNS between songs on rather ripped.

ZEROpumpkins 09.19.2006 08:08 AM

Hate to bring this back up again but try at the end of Bull in the Heather (you can hear "do you like to fuck" from catholic block and at the end of winners blues you can hear thurston singing "schitzophrenia". If you want the clips pm me.

atari 2600 09.19.2006 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Hate to bring this back up again but try...

Don't "hate", it's lovely that you would guide us again through eternally recurring threads.

schizophrenicroom 09.19.2006 06:03 PM

yeah, i've always been able to hear the "schizophrenia..." at the end of winner's blues.

Danny Himself 09.19.2006 06:08 PM

I never understood how 'Sister' plays so perfectly underneath it all, though. If they did record over the tapes, wouldn't the chopping and rearranging cut and slice the Sister songs up a little?

I think they just threw sister into the final mix as a joke. There's no sister in the 'in the raw' mixes either, so yeaaah..

finding nobody 09.19.2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
It sounds like "pull that goddamn..."

Yeah, fo sho

Cantankerous 09.19.2006 09:57 PM

you do realize that because of this, we will likely never see a reissue of sister, which is fine with me.

top 40 squeeze 09.20.2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I never understood how 'Sister' plays so perfectly underneath it all, though. If they did record over the tapes, wouldn't the chopping and rearranging cut and slice the Sister songs up a little?

I think they just threw sister into the final mix as a joke. There's no sister in the 'in the raw' mixes either, so yeaaah..

Yeah, I always kinda felt they had done something like that to create this sort of legend or mystique around the album. The idea that they recorded over Sister has a sort of Old Rock feel to it. I mean back in the day, wasn't it a sort of common occurence for people to not save the original master tapes, or tape over them?