Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   new beck album anounced (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3535)

finding nobody 06.28.2006 02:51 PM

new beck album anounced

that's right. http://beck.com/
go to the news and scroll down a bit

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 02:56 PM

beck schmeck.

finding nobody 06.28.2006 02:59 PM

you dont like beck?

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 03:01 PM

I don't NOT like Beck.

"I'm not NOT licking toads." - Homer Simpson

ha ha ha

Beck is OK. I think he is overhyped and in many respects he is as much a rehash artist as Lenny Kravitz. Both put on great shows. Both "rock". Both bore me.

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 03:15 PM

folk, hip hop

yeah

lenny rehashes
funk, soul

rehashes are DULL

krastian 06.28.2006 03:32 PM

Cool. When I first bought Guero I really liked it, but looking back on it now I think it kind of sucks (well, it's ok...it has it's moments). The last album of his that I really loved was Midnite Vultures. Sea Change was good, but to me it seemed like the same song over and over again. But seriously, this scientology stuff with Beck really makes me scratch my head.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I don't NOT like Beck.

"I'm not NOT licking toads." - Homer Simpson

ha ha ha

Beck is OK. I think he is overhyped and in many respects he is as much a rehash artist as Lenny Kravitz. Both put on great shows. Both "rock". Both bore me.

Idiot. Beck isn't rehashing shit. You don't think any of the terrible music you listen to is rehashed? Think again.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 03:36 PM

i like beck and respect him, but he is not by any means "original".

listen to early ween(pure guava-era) and you'll know exactly where beck got his inspiration, influence, and possibly ideas from.

case closed.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 03:39 PM

re·hash

( P ) Pronunciation Key (r

-h

sh

)
tr.v. re·hashed, re·hash·ing, re·hash·es To bring forth again in another form without significant alteration

Beck is not doing this. He isn't 'original' but he is surely not ripping others off completely.

krastian 06.28.2006 03:43 PM

I still need to pick up Guerolito.....I'm still a Beck completist even though he has kind of let me down a little lately. Is it Guerolito streaming in on beck.com?....well parts of it.

luxinterior 06.28.2006 03:47 PM

I have all of his albums. The Loser EP is also very neat.

bytheriver 06.28.2006 03:49 PM

erm, I've heard of people ripping off Beck but Ive never heard him being accused of ripping people off (except for Guero and the person he sounded like was his own earlier stuff) Im not saying he's absolutely unique but he's pretty original. All thats by the by though cause his songs are great his lyrics really good, his live show is fucking fantastic and even him being a scientologist doesn't making him any less cool.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
re·hash

( P ) Pronunciation Key (r

-h

sh

)
tr.v. re·hashed, re·hash·ing, re·hash·es To bring forth again in another form without significant alteration

Beck is not doing this. He isn't 'original' but he is surely not ripping others off completely.

He ripped off Ween.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khchris(original)
He ripped off Ween.

Not blatantly. I can see similarities and influences. Tons of shitty music you listen to is rehashed I'm sure.

Idiot.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Not blatantly. I can see similarities and influences. Tons of shitty music you listen to is rehashed I'm sure.

Idiot.

DENIAL.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

DENIAL.

I LOVE how you skip posts that totally put you in your place(AssBlaster's) and say some total bullshit.

You are rehashing your own old/wrong ideas.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
KHchris, he didn't exactly rip off ween...ween's music is arguably more juvenile than beck's stuff.

Also at the same time that ween was recording the pod, beck was playing his off beat style of folk in the Los Angeles area. When Loser broke on commercial radio (accidentally), Ween had just released Pure Guava. Beck's earliest efforts were the ones that sounded the most ween-like. I don't even think ween would ever think (much less say) that they thought that Beck ripped them off (unless they were joking).

But really, Ween and Beck don't sound much alike.

Ween's "Pure Guava" release date: 1992
Beck's "Mellow Gold" release date: 1994

Case closed.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

I LOVE how you skip posts that totally put you in your place(AssBlaster's) and say some total bullshit.

You are rehashing your own old/wrong ideas.

FUNNY!(better hit that *edit* button;)

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:22 PM

Pure Guava: November 10, 1992
Mellow Gold: March 1, 1994

Beck sure is fast at ripping someone off. He was probably already writing songs for Mellow Gold before Pure Guava came out and THEY DON'T EVEN SOUND THE SAME.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:23 PM

Quote:

FUNNY!(better hit that *edit* button;)

Why? Because you read my post and replied to AssBlaster's post 5 minutes later? I don't think so.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Why? Because you read my post and replied to AssBlaster's post 5 minutes later? I don't think so.

No, because you just put your love + support for someone who is wrong(assblaster).

next.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:29 PM

WRONG ABOUT WHAT?

Beck DID NOT blatantly rip-off Pure Guava and that is a fact. You have terrible opinions.

next.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:31 PM

Quote:

WRONG ABOUT WHAT?

Beck DID NOT blatantly rip-off Pure Guava and that is a fact. You have terrible opinions.

next.

You need to listen to Ween's "PURE GUAVA" album before you say anything. You look stupid, boy.

next.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

You need to listen to Ween's "PURE GUAVA" album before you say anything. You look stupid, boy.

next.

Yeah. I own Pure Guava. I've heard it before.

Cunt.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Loser (and most of Mellow Gold) was recorded in 1992. Loser was first played in the L.A. area around 1993 on the radio. Mellow Gold was put together AFTER the radio explosion of Loser. Loser was already pretty much off the radio by the time mellow gold was released. Remember Beck had been playing for quite some time (and released a couple of cassette tapes) before he broke out with Mellow Gold.

Pure Guava was recorded in 1882.(hahaha)

Mellow gold was not recorded in 92. Don't try to lie, i also lived in southern cal during that time(sd) and frequented LA many times. Just accept the fact that Pure Guava inspired and gave Beck alot of ideas for Mellow Gold. Lying only makes you look dumb.

next.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah. I own Pure Guava. I've heard it before.

Cunt.

DENIAL.

next.

Savage Clone 06.28.2006 04:47 PM

Yeah, Ween was never remotely about being basically a clever pastiche of influences, were they? Totally original! Uh huh.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, Ween was never remotely about being basically a clever pastiche of influences, were they? Totally original! Uh huh.

The question wasn't about ween, it was about beck.
gotta hold onto that map!!! you keep getting lost...

next.

Savage Clone 06.28.2006 04:55 PM

I was just saying you could apply the same logic to Ween.
Both of these artists basically found their sound/niche by being a cleverly self-aware and well-executed amalgamation of obvious influences. They are both rip-off artists in a sense, and they are both perfectly good at it, not to mention successful.
Writing in 780 point type doesn't make you any less hilariously pompous.

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 04:57 PM

i never said he was ripping anyone off. I said he was a retread, a rehash, the same way the specials were a rehash of 50's and 60's ska, the same way lenny kravitz is a jimi hendrix rehash, the same way the Strokes are a rehash of every early garage rock band, I said Beck put on a good show. do you not read?

his music is derivative in a way I do not find appealing. I do like the specials though!

TOO MUCH FIGHTING ON THE DANCE FLOOR!

fuck beck. thurston moore's not beck.

beck can take his disco inflected folk funk and keep it!

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

If it wasn't recorded in 1992, it was definitely recorded in 1993...I'm pretty sure that Loser was recorded in 1992. Regardless, there's no evidence to suggest that Beck was ripping off Ween.

It was probably recorded in mid-late 93, not 92. "Pure Guava" came out in 92, before LOSER was even recorded. Isn't "Mellow Gold" enough evidence of Ween's influence(and ideas"? Maybe not for a 100% Beck die-hard fan who refuses to believe the truth. That's your problem.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 05:00 PM

Pure Guava came out in November. Loser was recorded before that.

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 05:00 PM

you are seriously comparing bob dylan and BECK? Fucking BECK?

you are deluded.

and here is some of the "crap" I listen to.

Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Public Enemy, Pavement, Sebadoh, Phish, Big Black, Rapeman, Unsane, Butthole Surfers, Archers of Loaf, Afghan Whigs, Art Blakey, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Muddy Waters, Thelonious Monk, Koko Taylor, The Beatles, The Misfits, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, FEAR, They Might Be Giants, Mudhoney, Tristeza, Electrelane, My Bloody Valentine, Joy Division, Jane's Addiction, Satisfact, Unwound, Polvo, Pixies, Baby Dayliner, Pele, Neil Young, Outkast, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Digable Planets, Janitor, The Smiths, The Cure, Sleater Kinney, Automaton Adventure Series, Pilot to Gunner, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra, Ornette Coleman, Urge Overkill, Slint, The Red Scare, Fugazi, Eniac, And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Modest Mouse, !!! (chik chik chik), Bob Marley and the Wailers, Built to Spill, Codeine, Morphine, Seam, The Sea & Cake, The New Year, Bedhead, Depeche Mode, OutHud, Drive Like Jehu, Interpol, Le Tigre, Tortoise, AtomBombPocketKnife, Bela Bartok, Ludwig Von Beethoven, Schoenberg, John Cage, Gustav Mahler, Pele, Tristeza, A Minor Forest, P.E.E., PJ Harvey, Beautiful Skin, Black Sabbath, Turing Machine, TV on the Radio, Eric's trip, The Skatalites, The Suspects, The Spells, They Might Be Giants, The Dead Milkmen, All, Beastie Boys, Psychedelic Furs, Parts & Labor

NO BECK!

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 05:00 PM

Quote:

I was just saying you could apply the same logic to Ween.
Both of these artists basically found their sound/niche by being a cleverly self-aware and well-executed amalgamation of obvious influences. They are both rip-off artists in a sense, and they are both perfectly good at it, not to mention successful.
Writing in 780 point type doesn't make you any less hilariously pompous.

Who did ween rip off then?

next.

HaydenAsche 06.28.2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
you are seriously comparing bob dylan and BECK? Fucking BECK?

you are deluded.

and here is some of the "crap" I listen to.

Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Public Enemy, Pavement, Sebadoh, Phish, Big Black, Rapeman, Unsane, Butthole Surfers, Archers of Loaf, Afghan Whigs, Art Blakey, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Muddy Waters, Thelonious Monk, Koko Taylor, The Beatles, The Misfits, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, FEAR, They Might Be Giants, Mudhoney, Tristeza, Electrelane, My Bloody Valentine, Joy Division, Jane's Addiction, Satisfact, Unwound, Polvo, Pixies, Baby Dayliner, Pele, Neil Young, Outkast, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Digable Planets, Janitor, The Smiths, The Cure, Sleater Kinney, Automaton Adventure Series, Pilot to Gunner, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra, Ornette Coleman, Urge Overkill, Slint, The Red Scare, Fugazi, Eniac, And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, Modest Mouse, !!! (chik chik chik), Bob Marley and the Wailers, Built to Spill, Codeine, Morphine, Seam, The Sea & Cake, The New Year, Bedhead, Depeche Mode, OutHud, Drive Like Jehu, Interpol, Le Tigre, Tortoise, AtomBombPocketKnife, Bela Bartok, Ludwig Von Beethoven, Schoenberg, John Cage, Gustav Mahler, Pele, Tristeza, A Minor Forest, P.E.E., PJ Harvey, Beautiful Skin, Black Sabbath, Turing Machine, TV on the Radio, Eric's trip, The Skatalites, The Suspects, The Spells, They Might Be Giants, The Dead Milkmen, All, Beastie Boys, Psychedelic Furs, Parts & Labor

NO BECK!

I'm sure NONE of that is rehashed. Eric's Trip? Interpol? You must not know what rehashed means.

Rob Instigator 06.28.2006 05:02 PM

I did not say it was not rehashed. You called my music crap with no idea what I listen to.

Savage Clone 06.28.2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Who did ween rip off then?

next.

Well, for one, on their first album they quite blatantly ripped off Prince (to the point of putting "Ween is in big trouble now dudes" in the liner notes). There are numerous nods to any number of musical styles and artists from grindcore to soul to metal to country all over their records. Hell, their latest single sounds EXACTLY like Thin Lizzy!
I am not in any way criticizing them for this either; they are very clever about it and they are great musicians, but clever amalgamators they are.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Well, for one, on their first album they quite blatantly ripped off Prince (to the point of putting "Ween is in big trouble now dudes" in the liner notes). There are numerous nods to any number of musical styles and artists from grindcore to soul to metal to country all over their records. Hell, their latest single sounds EXACTLY like Thin Lizzy!
I am not in any way criticizing them for this either; they are very clever about it and they are great musicians, but clever amalgamators they are.

ever heard of "satire"? who did ween rip off on "pure guava", the album Beck ripped off? and no, using different styles of music(country, hip-hop, etc.) is not "ripping off". Now "Mellow Gold", that's a rip off of "pure guava":)

next.

Savage Clone 06.28.2006 05:11 PM

I'm done.
If you can't see that I was giving them full credit for brilliant satire, you're even more of a self-absorbed, pompous know-it-all than I previously thought.
Call it "throwing in the towel" if you want; I prefer to think of it as a dead horse with a design fixation and an overinflated sense of worldly wisdom.

khchris(original) 06.28.2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

I'm done.
If you can't see that I was giving them full credit for brilliant satire, you're even more of a self-absorbed, pompous know-it-all than I previously thought.
Call it "throwing in the towel" if you want; I prefer to think of it as a dead horse with a design fixation and an overinflated sense of worldly wisdom.

you'll be back. you're ego's way too big to be throwing in the towel like that.

btw, who did ween rip off on "pure guava"?