Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22270)

Moshe 06.02.2008 01:20 AM

Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth

I read half of the book already and it is so good that it needs it owns thread.

"David Browne's long-awaited Sonic Youth bio, "Goodbye 20th Century," is out this week in the U.S. and UK. It includes new interviews with the band and their family, friends and colleagues, and 64 rare photos. The advance buzz has been strong: "an expressway to the soul of the influential band" (Vanity Fair), "compulsively readable" (Publishers Weekly), and "a rollicking, epic biography" (Salon). Rolling Stone has a sneak peak at some of its photos up now on its site. You can order on Amazon".

Did anyone else read it?

Did you know that there is a recording of some early songs that was never released?!! Some of the songs were later recoded again for the first ep.

skipvacuum 06.02.2008 03:44 AM

yeah i read it too..and it's great..i'm really impressed by it..and yeah moshe i didn't know they recorded those early songs before the recording of the e.p.
didn't know how much they made from lollapalooza...actually alot of things i didn't know i learned from this book..if anyone here has read one or all of the previous sonic youth books..do yrself a favor and read this one...

oh also Moshe i saw the thank you to you in it......and i thank you too

SonicBebs 06.02.2008 03:51 AM

is it big and hardback? will it make me look even more Geeky on the bus?
s'pose i could could cover it in brown paper...

pantophobia 06.02.2008 07:36 AM

i finished it last week, it was such a great book

it was interesting to read about their first managers during which i don't think were ever mentioned before and all the label goings on

greenlight 06.02.2008 10:19 AM

still didn't buy it. want to tho.

so what's the story with Genetic?

atari 2600 06.02.2008 10:26 AM

browsed the pics, thanks for news

RanaldoNecro 06.02.2008 10:27 AM

You have to read and find out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
still didn't buy it. want to tho.

so what's the story with Genetic?

blunderbuss 06.02.2008 11:10 AM

It's not out for a few more days in Europe (5th June). I've got it on order, and have my fingers crossed that it will arrive in time for me to take it on holiday to read.

✌➬ 06.02.2008 11:27 AM

I just got it yesterday, and can't stop reading it. It is so damn good.

deflinus 06.02.2008 02:35 PM

its a really good book. very informative. especially in the early years.

agoston 06.02.2008 02:42 PM

i'm reading it right now, love it. fun stuff, lots of interesting info. great to nerd out on

tesla69 06.02.2008 02:46 PM

I was skimming it in the store and I noticed the picture of Kim with William Burroughs that said it was his home in Nebraska - Burroughs' home was in Lawrence Kansas - I'm just a little unsure about the fact checking if this obvious detail is wrong. Still, will definitely will need to pick this up soon.

This Is Not Here 06.02.2008 03:04 PM

Yeah, lovely photos on the R.S. site. Particularly enjoyed the one of Kim planning out the Daydream Nation Cover. Did anyone notice that the text overlays read "The Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation"? So they were planning to use 'The' Sonic Youth even after Sister...

pantophobia 06.02.2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
I was skimming it in the store and I noticed the picture of Kim with William Burroughs that said it was his home in Nebraska - Burroughs' home was in Lawrence Kansas - I'm just a little unsure about the fact checking if this obvious detail is wrong. Still, will definitely will need to pick this up soon.

well there were some here and there, most notable was they said Kim's birthday was the 23rd of April (it's the 28th) and a few others, but i don't think there was anything too glaring (other then the Burroughs one of course)

Jerry Garcia 06.02.2008 03:51 PM

Check your public library :

http://www.worldcat.org/

RanaldoNecro 06.02.2008 10:12 PM

One thing I found kinda humourous was the part towards the end where the author mentioned that SY was living normal lives going to soccer games and Kim going to hen parties or whatever.

Is this the same people that wrote Brother James? I mean, Sonic Youth has pushed our imaginations to the nth degree so lets not describe them as normal...

Even if they have mellowed a tad...

RanaldoNecro 06.02.2008 10:12 PM

luv to SY!

Moshe 06.02.2008 11:48 PM

Kim's birthday is wrong--but only in the very first printing. (It's actually April 28.) Future printings (already on the way out of the warehouse) correct that.

blunderbuss 06.02.2008 11:51 PM

Hey folks - please can you wait a while before revealing all the previously unknown stuff from the book, and leave the rest of us the chance to have a few surprises as we read it. Thanks.

dionysusundone 06.03.2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
Kim's birthday is wrong--but only in the very first printing. (It's actually April 28.) Future printings (already on the way out of the warehouse) correct that.

Hey the day after mine! Rad!