Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 04.12.2016 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
oh and Jay just needs some kind of inspiration. Like American Gangster was.

I'll hear the Drake album when it drops. Unless it's an "exclusive." haha.

Apple Music exclusive.

I mentioned this about a page ago, and commented on how Drizzy just couldn't stop tryna be Yeezy. ;)

noisereductions 04.12.2016 07:04 AM

Deftones have never made a bad album. I stand by that. Over the years they've grown into a band that I comfortably consider one of my current favorites. It's kind of amazing now, looking back at high school, to think about the longevity they've had and the constant surprises they've delivered.

I'm also shocked to see Pitchfork's glowing review of Gore. Deftones have mostly been a band they've ignored.

^Team Sleep - Woodstock Sessions Vol. 4

(Awesome live album from 2015)

@Sev: believe it or not, the B-Sides album is a good place to start w/ Deftones. Kind of gives you an overview of their sounds. It's an album where a Sade cover sits next to a collaboration w/ Cypress Hill.

noisereductions 04.12.2016 08:39 AM

@sev, again: Actually did you ever hear the Crosses album from 2014? I think you'd dig that. It was Chino's "electronic" project. Shit reminds me of Depeche Mode, but w/ some screaming. It's legit. Ended up on my Top 10 list that year.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.12.2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

@sev, again: Actually did you ever hear the Crosses album from 2014? I think you'd dig that. It was Chino's "electronic" project. Shit reminds me of Depeche Mode, but w/ some screaming. It's legit. Ended up on my Top 10 list that year.

I loved getting that record step by step as multiple free EPs released over two years.. so much fun.

Severian 04.12.2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

No, never heard it. Actually I think I listened to snippets on iTunes or something, because I was aware of it and I remember being intrigued by some concept art I saw along the way, but I haven't really heard it. I'll look into it though.

noisereductions 04.12.2016 11:04 AM

^check out "This Is A Trick" for a good example.

In hindsight that Team Sleep album should have made my Top 10 list for 2015. I think I just didn't have enough time to soak it in before the end of the year. Surely I liked it more than B4DA$$ for instance. I mean so weird right? A weird super group makes an album that was shelved in 2001, then finally released in 2006 in completely different form, and then nothing... for 10 years, and then a live album out of the blue. So cool. It's actually just this really spacey sleepy pretty haze of a live performance.

louder 04.12.2016 11:12 AM

I have zero hype for "Views from the 6." As a former fan, I'll give it a chance when it drops of course, but Drake seems to be on some pseudo Dancehall shit nowadays and I'm not digging that.

louder 04.12.2016 11:14 AM

FUCKING Danny Brown tweeted that his album is ready. Now that's something I'm excited about. Missed that dude so much. Can't wait to hear it!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.12.2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

^check out "This Is A Trick" for a good example.

In hindsight that Team Sleep album should have made my Top 10 list for 2015. I think I just didn't have enough time to soak it in before the end of the year. Surely I liked it more than B4DA$$ for instance. I mean so weird right? A weird super group makes an album that was shelved in 2001, then finally released in 2006 in completely different form, and then nothing... for 10 years, and then a live album out of the blue. So cool. It's actually just this really spacey sleepy pretty haze of a live performance.

Btw Crosses live is one of the most fierce, loud shows i ever went too.. that totally surprised me. I didn't expect the teeth their stage show had. It was literally one of the better shows i have been to, was even better than the last deftones show i went to last june

Severian 04.12.2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
FUCKING Danny Brown tweeted that his album is ready. Now that's something I'm excited about. Missed that dude so much. Can't wait to hear it!!!

Yeah, I'd like to see some Danny Brown back up in this bitch.

Severian 04.12.2016 02:08 PM

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH KING PUSH?

Anyone heard anything at all? The album was supposed to drop in April. It's totally April. I'm waiting.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2016 12:15 AM

I'm gonna do it. deftones albums and side projects ranked

1. White Pony (unique, creative, fierce, dark)
2. Around the Fur (this is what rap rock can be when done right)
3. Saturday Night Wrist (this was such a fantastic transitional record)
4. Adrenaline (a classic)
5. Diamond Eyes (this was a record with some teeth)
6. CROSSES (this is like white pony part b)
7. Team Sleep (this was so good live in 2001)
8. Koi No San (i lovely record that would rank higher but the above is so good already)
9. Palms (better live)
10. Self Titled ( i actually really liked the record but its just too minimalist)
11. Gore (so far)

noisereductions 04.13.2016 06:57 AM

Gore keeps growing on me. Honestly, I like it A LOT.

I have no idea how I'd rank most of their discography. Like, even my least fav Deftones releases are ones I really like. They're just one of those bands that never seem to disappoint me.

Severian 04.13.2016 12:00 PM

So, hip hop... am I right?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2016 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
So, hip hop... am I right?

Deftones was rap rock so stop hating. This thread is really just SFAD NR Louder Rob Sev hangout

noisereductions 04.13.2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
This thread is really just SFAD NR Louder Rob Sev hangout

srsly.

At this point I just post pretty much whatever I'm thinking about in this thread. Unless it's actually SY related, then I go upstairs.

But let's see, hip hop...

"Ultralight Beams" has been in my head for days. So pretty. And has such a casual tossed-off feel to it. Chance kills it hard.

TLOP is still my vote for best hip hop album this year. But I mean, we're not even halfway thru the year.

Future's Evol is still wicked awesome. "Lie To Me," is my shiz.

I *like* Untitled Unmastered. I don't love it. What's my deal w/ Kendrick albums lately? I think he's an amazing performer. I know he puts a lot of thought into crafting an album. But I'm having trouble clicking with them the way I did with Section 80 or Good Kid.

Most else what I've been listening to for new stuff this year has been jazz, R&B/soul, and rock. Actually, I'd say that this year has been my most balanced of genres in a long time. Hmm.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2016 01:28 PM

Sev just mad cuz deftones taking some of kanye egomaniacal shine ;)

Severian 04.13.2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

srsly.

At this point I just post pretty much whatever I'm thinking about in this thread. Unless it's actually SY related, then I go upstairs.

But let's see, hip hop...

"Ultralight Beams" has been in my head for days. So pretty. And has such a casual tossed-off feel to it. Chance kills it hard.

TLOP is still my vote for best hip hop album this year. But I mean, we're not even halfway thru the year.

Future's Evol is still wicked awesome. "Lie To Me," is my shiz.

I *like* Untitled Unmastered. I don't love it. What's my deal w/ Kendrick albums lately? I think he's an amazing performer. I know he puts a lot of thought into crafting an album. But I'm having trouble clicking with them the way I did with Section 80 or Good Kid.

Most else what I've been listening to for new stuff this year has been jazz, R&B/soul, and rock. Actually, I'd say that this year has been my most balanced of genres in a long time. Hmm.

Wait you don't love untitled unmastered? What the huh? Bro do you need to talk?

Severian 04.13.2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

This thread is really just SFAD NR Louder Rob Sev hangout

He says what we're all thinking.
:o

True enough homes. I just don't happen to be very caught up on Deftones. Had a crazy busy week so it's just been TLOP, TLOP, TLOP. Gore's getting some solid reviews though. Pitchfork's was surprisingly positive, and noisey really paid them a massive compliment. Something about how 20 years in, they're still hitting brand new territory on every album.

Gonna have to take Noisey's word on that until I have a chance to hear the record and revisit the last 2-3 albums.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.13.2016 06:27 PM

Its funny how deftones are essentially the biggest cult band of past twenty years. The critical praise of recent surprises me, seems they have somehow crashed the gates as some kind of rlder statesmen of bands simply by surviving twenty years at the fringe

noisereductions 04.13.2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Its funny how deftones are essentially the biggest cult band of past twenty years. The critical praise of recent surprises me, seems they have somehow crashed the gates as some kind of rlder statesmen of bands simply by surviving twenty years at the fringe

this. Yeah. I feel like it's been some secret for years that they're awesome and critics are now just feeling ok with admitting that.

SEV: I like Untitled a lot. More than TPAB probably/maybe. But I'm not into it like TLOP, no.

Severian 04.13.2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

this. Yeah. I feel like it's been some secret for years that they're awesome and critics are now just feeling ok with admitting that.

SEV: I like Untitled a lot. More than TPAB probably/maybe. But I'm not into it like TLOP, no.

Wow, man. I'm legitimately surprised to hear that.

I had (and still have) my issues with TPAB's pacing, but the damn album is like a street poet's g-funk take on MBDTF. The two most important hip hop albums of the past 10 years, easy. So while I still usually skip tracks on TPAB, the album as a whole just shreds.

I like untitled unmastered a lot. I think untitled 01 is one of the best tracks of the year, and the rest of the album is full of prime moments.

Maybe you're just not that into Kendrick. No problem if that's the case. For me, untitled unmastered pretty much made me give up and say, OK, Kendrick's my second favorite artist in hip hop.

Is it anywhere near as colorful and joyful as TLOP? Fuck naw man. Hell to the no. But next to Kanye, Kendrick's the man. It's hard to take most modern artists seriously with those two out there killing it.

noisereductions 04.13.2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Maybe you're just not that into Kendrick.

this is the part I'm trying to make sense of. Cuz I do. I love Section 80 and Good Kid. Hard. And I think he's a phenomenal writer. And I think he has an amazing flow. I like his voice. And he's smart. It's weird. Everything is there. I should love this stuff... but instead I just like it. It's not hooking me the way I expect it should.

Severian 04.13.2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

this is the part I'm trying to make sense of. Cuz I do. I love Section 80 and Good Kid. Hard. And I think he's a phenomenal writer. And I think he has an amazing flow. I like his voice. And he's smart. It's weird. Everything is there. I should love this stuff... but instead I just like it. It's not hooking me the way I expect it should.

Ain't no shoulds or shouldn'ts in this man. I like his first two albums too. Good kid is my favorite by far. He took a pretty sharp left turn on TPAB, and even though I know you love the Jazz elements of that album, maybe it's just not what you want to hear in a hip-hop record. Luckily for you, he doesn't seem like the kind of artist who will stay in one place for too long. He's no Kanye, so I'm not going to expect every album to have an entirely different sonic foundation, but he definitely strikes me as a "phase" artist. His next two albums will probably be quite different than TPAB and uu.

I'm kinda feeling this way about the Rocky these days. I love his first two albums and think they're two of the best hip hop albums of the 2010's, but ALLA didn't quite have the same kind of lasting impact on me, and I've sort of decided that with a few exceptions, it's not what I want from Rocky.

Ain't no thang bro.

Plus, with the critics clamped on K's dick like the jaws of life, it's easy to get exhausted by it all.

noisereductions 04.13.2016 10:49 PM

yeah you nailed it. Different strokes and all. I love all the recent ASAP Mob shiz. Just whatever. It's what my ears want.

noisereductions 04.14.2016 10:15 AM

i was thinking more about this. It may be that because I am finding less and less time to listen to music lately, I'm finding myself gravitating towards things that are familiar and comfortable. Which is to say, Kendrick is so forward-thinking, that my brain may not be in a place where it wants challenging music right now. I mean I wouldn't even call Future a good rapper, but at least his album is easily digestible. I don't have to think about anything. Y'know?

Speaking of - I think Evol is really good. I can't help but think that he owes something to SpaceGhostPurrrp tho. I mean this shit sounds like Intoxxxicated 2016 man. Down to the metalic grinding noises and chanting vox.

Severian 04.14.2016 11:36 PM

I haven't really listened to anything other than TLOP and Kendrick hip hop wise for a fuckin' while now. I know I was kinda feeling Evol for a bit. I'll give it another spin. But man that shit just barely feels worth it when there's these two albums are out at the same time.

I'm so ready for some new blood in hip hop that I can get on board with. But I think I may just be getting too old to relate at all to the really new shit. I kinda feel like the rise of Rocky, Kendrick and Chance may have been the last round of up and comers that I could get on board with (them and Joey... I do love Joey).

I think I'm just getting kind of lame. If rather listen to Tribe, Digable planets, Outkast and other now super-old shit than anything new outside the realm of Kendrick, Chance, Rocky and Ye (not that he's new, but with "old" artists like him, who the fuck needs "new" ones?)

Plus there's a new PJ Harvey album out so I may be not giving a shit about much else for a while.

louder 04.18.2016 03:12 AM

1. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
2. KING - We Are KING
3. David Bowie - Blackstar
4. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
5. Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
6. Snoh Aalegra - Don't Explain
7. BJ the Chicago Kid - In My Mind
8. Anthony Hamilton - What I'm Feelin'
9. Tank - Sex, Love & Pain II
10. Kevin Gates - Islah

noisereductions 04.18.2016 07:38 AM

NR's Spotify Survivor - Week 16

The Dandy Warhols - Distortland
Deftones - Gore
Future - Evol
Heliocentrics - From The Deep
Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Weezer - White Album
Kanye West - The Life Of Pablo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.18.2016 10:01 AM

All i got is Gore in heavy rotation mixed in with some Black Knights Medieval Chambers and The Almighty in there

Severian 04.18.2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
1. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
2. KING - We Are KING
3. David Bowie - Blackstar
4. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
5. Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
6. Snoh Aalegra - Don't Explain
7. BJ the Chicago Kid - In My Mind
8. Anthony Hamilton - What I'm Feelin'
9. Tank - Sex, Love & Pain II
10. Kevin Gates - Islah

Already with this? Ok man.

1. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
2. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
3. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
4. Moderat - III
5. Big Ups - Before a Million Universes
6. David Bowie - Blackstar

... meh. Who fucking cares.

louder 04.18.2016 11:51 AM

I think those of you who haven't heard Malibu yet would absolutely love it.. think of a modern day young Curtis Mayfield mixed with D'Angelo, Jimi and Kendrick.

noisereductions 04.18.2016 12:44 PM

I think my fav track on Malibu is "The Dreamers."

noisereductions 04.18.2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Kanye West and streaming service Tidal have been sued for allegedly deceiving fans into subscribing to what was billed as the only place they would be able to hear West's new album, The Life of Pablo. The proposed class-action lawsuit, obtained by Pitchfork and first reported by the AP, claimed West falsely told fans the album would be exclusive to Tidal. The lawsuit was filed today in a federal court in San Francisco on behalf of Justin Baker-Rhett, described in the complaint as a fan of West's music. Originally released via Tidal in February, Pablo became available on all major non-Tidal streaming services on March 31, landing at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.

The lawsuit claimed that millions signed up for Tidal because West promised it would be the exclusive place to hear his new album. Baker-Rhett requested a judge force Tidal to delete data on users who subscribed to hear Pablo. The lawsuit argued the new subscribers and their information could be worth up to $84 million. The lawsuit cites West's tweets, including one from February 15 that said the album will "never be on Apple" and "you can only get it on Tidal."

lulz

louder 04.18.2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

lulz

Mess.

noisereductions 04.18.2016 02:52 PM

what? He's losing it, guys.

Quote:

He's also made changes to 2013's Yeezus. According to Spin, fans have uncovered subtle changes in the Apple Music versions of a few tracks. West's opening phrase on "Black Skinhead" ("For my theme song/My leather black jeans on") now features a more distorted vocal than the original. Additionally, on "Send It Up," he's cut the backing instrumental to his line at the 1:30 mark.

What is the point?

louder 04.18.2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

What is the point?

Oh boy.

noisereductions 04.18.2016 03:25 PM

I'm just saying - where does it end? Is he gonna go back and snip verses off of MBDTF? Add a Rick Ross verse to College Dropout? Y'know what I mean?

louder 04.18.2016 03:39 PM

Probably. Young Thug is gonna be all over Late Registration.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.18.2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

What is the point?

$€£