Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I hate fugazi. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14746)

zedius 07.14.2007 03:27 AM

I hate fugazi.

I got 2 albums off a buddy, and I have listened to them a few times. Every time it does this wierd thing to me where I think I hate music in general. I just find it so boring and troublesome, and I have this intense feeling like the guys in the band feel all important in what I percieve to be mediocrity. Like there is no point listening to music because everyone is just trying too hard.

Is this totally wrong? I know there are many people who like them.

Pookie 07.14.2007 03:34 AM

I only hated Fugazi when I lived with some people who were fans and banged on about them all the time.

They're ok, but a bit tedious.

As is compulsory when slagging off Fugazi, I have to add that I loved Minor Threat.

andrei 07.14.2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
kinda have that pearl jam vibe...like, they realease 10 albums...2 are great, a couple have a few great songs...and the rest suck.

Yeah...that's my feeling about 'em too

pbradley 07.14.2007 04:05 AM

Shut the Door is perhaps the only Fugazi song that I really like a lot while the others are good or less.

But I'm a sucker for the noise/groovy switch off.

youthoftomorrow 07.14.2007 04:27 AM

i don't think they're boring at all. i think they're awesome.

i was just listening to The Argument in the car today when i picked up a friend of mine. she'd been a fan of them in middle school, but hadn't heard The Argument and said she's going to pick up a copy when she gets paid.

terminal pharmacy 07.14.2007 04:49 AM

your opnion of what you like can't be wrong.... i love them though

Norma J 07.14.2007 06:07 AM

I love them. Not boring whatsoever. Great band whom I can't get enough of.

jon boy 07.14.2007 06:10 AM

never liked them, tedious and sound bad.

Glice 07.14.2007 06:25 AM

Can't slag this band off enough. But to each their own etc.

atsonicpark 07.14.2007 07:22 AM

one of the best bands i never listen to.

fugazi are another one of those bands who just have it going on.. they don't really have any bad songs, and all their songs are memorable.. but something about them just makes me not want to listen to them very often, so i kinda see what you're saying. though hate is a strong word.

i feel fugazi are one of the bands who actually got better and better with every record (excluding end hits which wasn't better than the album before it)... the argument is amazing and the only fugazi i often pull out. ex-spectator, full disclosure, and epic problem are AMAZING songs. just UNBELIEVABLE.

so yeah i see what you're saying, but the argument is tops.

fishmonkey 07.14.2007 08:48 AM

i hate them too, your not alone brother.

chabib 07.14.2007 09:21 AM

fugazi's a band who you have to have seen live a bunch to appreciate. albums are always only a fraction of a fraction of the picture with music.

Pookie 07.14.2007 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabib
fugazi's a band who you have to have seen live a bunch to appreciate. albums are always only a fraction of a fraction of the picture with music.

True, but as a vast majority of people listen to music in other contexts, a band cannot be judged on live performances alone.

I have never seen a band who weren't vastly better live than on record.

EDIT: Recognition of the overuse of the word 'vast'.

StevOK 07.14.2007 10:33 AM

I really like Fugazi, but I can understand why people wouldn't like them, like just about every band I listen to.

Toilet & Bowels 07.14.2007 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabib

i loved their records, but was underwhelmed by them when i saw them, although it was right before they split so maybe it would have been better to see them before.

Pookie 07.14.2007 10:53 AM

I did see a great review of Fugazi's 'Cassavetes'.

For some reason, the reviewer thought the song was about the LA riots (possibly the use of the word 'riot' in the song threw him), despite the song being called 'Cassavetes', a strong clue as to the theme of the song.

And he expressed puzzlement that a song about the LA riots would mention actress Gena Rowlands.

Pax Americana 07.14.2007 12:20 PM

Fugazi are one of my all time favorite bands. But hey, to each his own.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.14.2007 03:59 PM

I like em

k-krack 07.14.2007 04:04 PM

How is there so much hate?! One of THE best bands in the world!

Pookie 07.14.2007 04:08 PM

I think the opinions are divided between love and boredom. I don't think there's too much hate.