Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bands that Collapsed Under the Pressure (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21505)

dazedcola 04.27.2008 11:08 PM

Bands that Collapsed Under the Pressure

On the heels of the recent Replacements Reissue, it got me thinking about how bands get crushed in the transition from independent label to majors.

This thread is specifically dedicated to lamenting those bands who couldn't survive the leap.

Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me[i/]- Man what a dissapointment. They started compromising their music and kicked out bob stinson. they lost their roots and were never the same again.

Husker Du- Candy Apple Grey This record should have garnered some hit songs on the radio but it was really weak compared to the last three. Mould and Hart started developing big egos and churning out songs rather than being inspired. They really wanted to breakthrough and would do anything for it. How else do you explain them being on the Joan Rivers show?

batreleaser 04.27.2008 11:13 PM

husker du was gonna be my first choice.

buttholes as far as quality of music goes.

Dead-Air 04.27.2008 11:22 PM

Did the Replacements really collapse under the pressure? I thought they just allowed a bunch of jackasses in suits to have them play on a bunch of substandard albums that were so boring that they eventually faded to non-existence...

Collapse under pressure, that'd be Joy Division who never released a bad album under that name.

ZEROpumpkins 04.27.2008 11:27 PM

Basically any band where the members constantly faught. Like Pixies.

Death & the Maiden 04.28.2008 12:31 AM

The Verlaines - Not that they really went to a major label though.
They left Flying Nun in New Zealand and went to Slash in USA in the early 90's. They were given a producer who tried to make them sound like a grunge band, which they weren't, and the albums they made weren't up to the standard of the early ones.

Pookie 04.28.2008 12:34 AM

If you mean bands who became shit when they signed to a major and then split up:

The Jesus Lizard

batreleaser 04.28.2008 12:34 AM

ditto jesus lizard

Everyneurotic 04.28.2008 12:36 AM

the better question is what bands haven't collapsed under pressure.

because, when big pressure starts creeping into a band/artist, they either start compromising (i mean sucking) or breaking up/retiring/trying their hand at something else.

pbradley 04.28.2008 12:45 AM

omg i h8 sell outs!!!1

atsonicpark 04.28.2008 12:50 AM

at the drive in...

LifeDistortion 04.28.2008 01:39 AM

One might say Nirvana. There is popular opinion that Nirvana were on the verge of breaking up just before Kurt killed himself. "In Utero" may have ended up as thier final album either way.

Sonic Youth 37 04.28.2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
at the drive in...

I was thinking this one. Damn...

My contribution is Hum.

Dead-Air 04.28.2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
One might say Nirvana. There is popular opinion that Nirvana were on the verge of breaking up just before Kurt killed himself. "In Utero" may have ended up as thier final album either way.

I'd agree, which with my Joy Division example basically sums up my theory that unless somebody kills themself, no bands "collapse under pressure". Agreeing to put out records that are supposedly going to sell but lack the original artistic vision of the musicians is not "collapse" it's fizzle down to nothingness. If Kurt hadn't killed himself they might have broken up, but then how long before the first reunion and each subsequent?

Dead-Air 04.28.2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the better question is what bands haven't collapsed under pressure.

because, when big pressure starts creeping into a band/artist, they either start compromising (i mean sucking) or breaking up/retiring/trying their hand at something else.

Who hasn't, as in who's stayed around a long time and stayed good?

Sonic Youth, Legendary Pink Dots, Girl Trouble, Melvins, Suicide (I know my opinion is in the minority on that one, but I love American Supreme a whole lot, and they keep playing together despite the fact they've never put out a lot of albums.)

Toilet & Bowels 04.28.2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
If you mean bands who became shit when they signed to a major and then split up:

The Jesus Lizard

Shot is a really great album, and it's only the different production that really sets it apart from anything they put out on Touch n' Go. I haven't heard Blue though.

jon boy 04.28.2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Shot is a really great album, and it's only the different production that really sets it apart from anything they put out on Touch n' Go. I haven't heard Blue though.

its not very good. i think they had just run out of steam by that point.

SuperCreep 04.28.2008 06:18 AM

I love Hüsker Dü's last two albums. My only problem with them is the production (and on NDR and FYW too.) Everything sounds tinny and the guitars are flat as fuck.

Derek 04.28.2008 08:28 AM

Husker Du's production is probably one of the only reasons why they aren't one of my favourite bands.

charles eugene 04.28.2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Husker Du's production is probably one of the only reasons why they aren't one of my favourite bands.

true that, its a love-hate thing with them, especially on their later albums

screamingskull 04.28.2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
at the drive in...

WHAT! they didn't collapse under big management pressure, they grew apart musically, Cedric and Omar couldn't make the music they wanted in ATD-I, drugs were also involved.