Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sy Album grades (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39234)

Sykid87 04.04.2010 12:15 PM

Sy Album grades

Sonic youth ep, B
Confusion Is Sex, B
Bad Moon Rising, D+
EVOL,A
Sister,A
Daydream Nation, A
Goo, C+
Dirty, C
EJTNS, B+
Washing Machine, A
A Thousand Leaves, C
NYC Ghosts And Flowers, B
Murray Street, A
Sonic Nurse, A
Rather Ripped, D+
The Eternal, C+

cagedbird 04.04.2010 12:16 PM

where did you study rock? harvard?

Sykid87 04.04.2010 12:18 PM

yes haha. I was just curious to see others opinions on SY albums.

mysonichaircut 04.04.2010 12:25 PM

thats simple: the eternal B, all the other A.

Sykid87 04.04.2010 12:28 PM

the only ones i really couldnt stand too much except like three songs is Bad Moon Rising and Rather Ripped.

mysonichaircut 04.04.2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykid87
the only ones i really couldnt stand too much except like three songs is Bad Moon Rising and Rather Ripped.

yes, but these 3 songs are brilliant, so its still an A. The Eternal has only some "good" songs, so its B.

cagedbird 04.04.2010 12:45 PM

rather ripped A (keep up the good work...excellent.)
the eternal A (great summarization of previous ideas)

Sykid87 04.04.2010 12:48 PM

I think with the eternal, sounding to me better than rather ripped boosts the grade. cause on rather ripped i liked Incinerate, Pink Steam, and Or alot. on the eternal songs that were good were Thunderclap, Anti Orgasm, Sacred Trickster, What We Know, and No Way. to me both are almost on the same scale. Just everything on Rather Ripped was similiar. That being said Malibu Gas Station and Calming The Snake are similiar and so is Poison Arrow and Leaky Lifeboat are similiar. And seeing them play a RR set compared to an eternal set is a major differenece RR they play in a more calm mellow way. The Eternal you can tell by their enthusiasm that its way more energy packed.

mysonichaircut 04.04.2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykid87
I think with the eternal, sounding to me better than rather ripped boosts the grade. cause on rather ripped i liked Incinerate, Pink Steam, and Or alot. on the eternal songs that were good were Thunderclap, Anti Orgasm, Sacred Trickster, What We Know, and No Way. to me both are almost on the same scale. Just everything on Rather Ripped was similiar. That being said Malibu Gas Station and Calming The Snake are similiar and so is Poison Arrow and Leaky Lifeboat are similiar. And seeing them play a RR set compared to an eternal set is a major differenece RR they play in a more calm mellow way. The Eternal you can tell by their enthusiasm that its way more energy packed.

i dont like many songs on rather ripped, but i love the production, it sounds very good. the eternal sounds crappy. reminds me of alice cooper ore something ... :-)

deflinus 04.04.2010 03:05 PM

blah blah blah eternal sucked rather ripped sucked blah blah love washing machine bleeh typical sy fan..

SYHamilton 04.04.2010 09:41 PM

I like them all, except maybe NYCGF. I'm going to pop Bad Moon Rising into the Discman before I go to bed. That's one of those love it or hate it albums. My local independent music store has it in the bargain bin for 7.99 right now.

cagedbird 04.04.2010 10:04 PM

bmr is good for early morality stances. i mean the song satan is boring is pretty theological if not intellectual. the fight is good? can you say god's imperial mission? anyway, in my family brave men run is lovely, dovetails beautifiully with the recent noise paintings, given the aesthetic purview of ed ruscha who originated the phrase and professes a basically cinematic influence on his work. the noise paintings are very similar. cinema ruleth. sonic youth rule. as for the others, i don't care that much right now. i am a snob because i am listening to the ultra obscure? neil michael hagerty and the howling hex.

EVOLghost 04.04.2010 10:40 PM

BMR D+. I give you a D+

EVOLghost 04.04.2010 10:40 PM

I also noticed how there weren't any A+'s..

GeneticKiss 04.05.2010 01:23 AM

All the ones I've got:

Confusion Is Sex: B
Bad Moon Rising: B
EVOL: A-
Sister: A
Daydream Nation: A+
Goo: A+
Dirty: B
Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star: B+
Washing Machine: C
Murray Street: C+
Sonic Nurse: C
Rather Ripped: C-
The Eternal: B+

deflinus 04.05.2010 07:49 AM

Sonic youth ep, C
Confusion Is Sex, B+
Bad Moon Rising, B
EVOL,B+
Sister,B
Daydream Nation, A+
Goo, B
Dirty, C
EJTNS, B+
Washing Machine, A
A Thousand Leaves, B+
NYC Ghosts And Flowers, B
Murray Street, A
Sonic Nurse, A+
Rather Ripped, B
The Eternal, B+

Thin_icE 04.05.2010 07:57 AM

This thread: F

cagedbird 04.05.2010 08:17 AM

Boo fucking hoo! This thread is like the only new thread in a few days. Quit your whining.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2010 09:03 AM

Sonic Youth EP - B+
Confusion is Sex - A
Bad Moon Rising - A+
Evol - A+
Sister - A +
Ciccone Youth - B+
Daydream Nation - A++++
Goo - B+
Dirty - A-
EJST& NS - D+
Washing Machine - B+
A Thousand Leaves - B+
NYC Ghosts & Flowers - C+
Murray Street - B
Sonic Nurse - A
Rather Ripped - B-
The Eternal - A-

Melack 04.05.2010 09:12 AM

I'm a new Sonic Youth fan and have only 3 of their albums so far.

Daydream Nation - A+
Goo - A+
Dirty - A-

As you can see I have totally fallen in love with this band and is looking forward to discovering their whole catalog of work!