Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So I FINALLY got a turntable (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2648)

Inhuman 06.05.2006 07:35 PM

So I FINALLY got a turntable

...and it's amazing. I paid $170.00CAD and it came with a stylus, so I picked up 4 records with it!

m^a(t)h 06.05.2006 07:38 PM

White Light/ White Heat.................enjoy...

nomadicfollower 06.05.2006 07:38 PM

Nice. I have one, but honestly never use it. Two reasons: It doesn't, for some reason, put out any power to the speakers, so I'm left listening harder then I should and I have no records (I have only a few, no good records I should say).

I'd like to get a new one, though, and pick up some records as well.

m^a(t)h 06.05.2006 07:38 PM

where did you find it??

Inhuman 06.05.2006 07:52 PM

I got it at a small business called Audio Mart in Ottawa. I had the choice of getting this one, or a brand new portable one, but at the spot I got it at, the guy fixes them free of charge which is pretty sweet!

White Light/ White Heat is great! I'm listening to it now and I LOVE the original version of Here She Comes Now (I heard the Nirvana version first).

I know what you mean nomadicflower, I'm hooked up to my guitar amplifier in a headphone jack on the amp, so some of the quality is bad for me, but at least it has power! You definately should get a new one. I got mine since there's a lot of material that's only released on vinyl, and I'd like to start collecting too :)

finding nobody 06.05.2006 07:57 PM

i see your jammin the sam cooke. my dad played him alot when i was growing up. he's really good

Inhuman 06.05.2006 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
do you get the bonus track with the vinyl version of no said date?

i have the same spotlight as you they are cool, prone to overheating though, i got burned one time and i had a chat with it once too during an episode of mine.

Haha, funny you mention it! It did quite a number to my keyboard...

Inhuman 06.05.2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
do you get the bonus track with the vinyl version of no said date?

i have the same spotlight as you they are cool, prone to overheating though, i got burned one time and i had a chat with it once too during an episode of mine.

Nice! There's a bonus track? I have 16 tracks listed on the cover, but I only listened to it once so I don't know if there's hidden material

Inhuman 06.05.2006 09:07 PM

Damn, mine didn't come with that :(. I'll have to get it off soulseek!

EMMAh 06.05.2006 09:14 PM

My dad has one but there's something wrong with it. I wanna use it though :(

golden child 06.05.2006 09:19 PM

awesome!

id never pay that much for a turntable though, whats that like $150?
and nomadic, do you have it hooked up to a proper preamp? you cant just plug it straight into a set of speakers like you can with a cd player or something and if you are using a stereo amplifier make sure its into the phono jacks cause they add gain and EQ differently than the other jacks. you could also just get a cheap phono pre-amp that does this and plug that into speakers, or get the whole bit with a stereo with phono jacks.

nomadicfollower 06.05.2006 09:22 PM

Yeah, I'm using a preamp....I don't think it has anything to do with the preamp or the speakers though; it seems to be something with the player itself. It's really old and was used and cheap.

golden child 06.05.2006 10:21 PM

ok, just an idiot check

i hate to call it an idiot check beforehand in case the person turns out to be an idiot.

Alex's Trip 06.05.2006 10:35 PM

I want one. I'm not sure I should even start though. Maybe I should just make my CD collection bigger.

golden child 06.05.2006 10:37 PM

oh shit inhuman, i have the exact same bowl as you!
we use it for salad or popcorn, we've had forever.

umjammer atomsk 06.06.2006 12:49 AM

Yes, fuck cds. Wax is where it's at.

Everyneurotic 06.06.2006 01:00 AM

i need to fix a cable on mine, it's been fucking the sound up. needs some soldering i think.

i also line out my turntable to my guitar amp, since i don't have a proper stereo.

Alex's Trip 06.06.2006 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
no, no, start! collecting vinyl is great. cd collections are nothing.

But then I'd have to spend $100 bucks on a turntable/amp and then I'd be spending hundreds on records to get a collection started. And I just don't have that money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
This is not me

No way!

Glice 06.06.2006 08:28 AM

I can't believe people are putting record players through guitar amps. I'm surprised that so many of you are new to records. And, finally, I probably have a bigger record collection than all of you, and therefore a bigger penis.

This is all.

porkmarras 06.06.2006 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I can't believe people are putting record players through guitar amps. I'm surprised that so many of you are new to records. And, finally, I probably have a bigger record collection than all of you, and therefore a bigger penis.

This is all.