Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ECM Records (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=51123)

The Watcher 05.22.2011 12:34 PM

ECM Records

Any favorites? I'm a big fan of Dave Holland's Conference Of The Birds LP, as well as Roscoe Mitchell's Composition/Improvisation 1, 2 & 3 which I thought was one of the best records I've bought in the last few years, not to mention the Codona trilogy with Don Cherry which I think is fantastic, and I really like Tabula Rasa from Arvo Part........ and I've picked up a few records here and there in the used bins from Terje Rypdal, Eberhard Weber and others which are really cool, and I plan to pick up some others, like the Evan Parker concert series and Marilyn Crispell's work......

That guy Keith Jarrett is okay too, but I'm not in love with him or anything.

keep poppin pimples 05.22.2011 01:23 PM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38959

haven't got new ones in awhile so my list still stands

Edward Vesala-Nan Madol
Egberto Gismonti-Dança Das Cabeças
Codona-1
Old and New dreams-S/T
Lester Bowie-The Great Pretender
Lester Bowie-All The Magic
Art Ensemble Of Chicago-Full Force
Leo Smith- Divine Love
Dewey Redman-The Struggle Continues

The Watcher 05.22.2011 01:35 PM

Gah the search function wouldn't allow me to use ECM because it was too short or something....... I tried, believe me....... I even used "records" to try and see if came up under "favorite ECM Records" or something........

hirsute_biped 05.22.2011 04:13 PM

Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette: Gateway

Kuhb 05.23.2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watcher
Any favorites? I'm a big fan of Dave Holland's Conference Of The Birds LP, as well as Roscoe Mitchell's Composition/Improvisation 1, 2 & 3 which I thought was one of the best records I've bought in the last few years, not to mention the Codona trilogy with Don Cherry which I think is fantastic, and I really like Tabula Rasa from Arvo Part........ and I've picked up a few records here and there in the used bins from Terje Rypdal, Eberhard Weber and others which are really cool, and I plan to pick up some others, like the Evan Parker concert series and Marilyn Crispell's work......

That guy Keith Jarrett is okay too, but I'm not in love with him or anything.

If you like Roscoe Mitchell stuff, that album has a sister album called Boustrophedon by Evan Parker. It's the same group, in the same session, just with different charts and with Parker conducting. It's just as good.

Some favourites:
Tomasz Stanko- Leosia
Paul Motian- Time and Time Again
John Abercrombie- The Third Quartet <MUST LISTEN>
Bobo Stenson- Goodbye/War Orphans

ECM is a pretty consistently amazing label for something so 'mainstream' by some standards... there's a bit of easy listening stuff on there, but there is a whole heap of geniunely groundbreaking music. Some albums, like Keith Jarrett's Carnegie Hall Concert, will be analysed for the next 30-40 years to figure out what he's doing. I can't think of anyone who has created anything similar to that out of a piano.. it's a whole new language.

The Watcher 05.23.2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhb
If you like Roscoe Mitchell stuff, that album has a sister album called Boustrophedon by Evan Parker. It's the same group, in the same session, just with different charts and with Parker conducting. It's just as good.

This one is definitely on my list of stuff to check out, that Roscoe Mitchell Improvisation album just blew me away, really amazing! And I love his stuff from the 60's too, Sound, Congliptious and the Old/Quartet Sessions are all favorites of mine........ And of course the AAC stuff too rules, Les Stance Au Sophie is an incredible album. That guy is a true genius!

atsonicpark 05.23.2011 12:11 PM

mainly really into the dave holland stuff as well as all the arvo part stuff on ecm. Huge arvo part fan right here!

great label!

Kuhb 05.24.2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

This one is definitely on my list of stuff to check out, that Roscoe Mitchell Improvisation album just blew me away, really amazing! And I love his stuff from the 60's too, Sound, Congliptious and the Old/Quartet Sessions are all favorites of mine........ And of course the AAC stuff too rules, Les Stance Au Sophie is an incredible album. That guy is a true genius!

Yeah, you gotta get it.. the moment when the first track moves to the second tracks is beyond words.

No joke about Roscoe Mitchell.. in jazz circles he's seen as a monster but still he is so underrated. I love the AAC Tribute to Lester album, he's on fire on that one.

keep poppin pimples 05.24.2011 07:25 AM

i have an anthony braxton LP on a different label, the sleeve of which is a glaring rip off of the ecm style, i was surprised to see it was on a different label

The Watcher 05.24.2011 08:25 AM

I know Duets 1976, Creative Music Orchestra and Alto Saxophone Improvisations all kind of look like they're on ECM, but in fact they are on Arista....... those were fertile times, my friend......... fertile times for great records..........

keep poppin pimples 05.24.2011 09:27 AM

it's called seven standards vol. II, on magenta records

The Watcher 05.24.2011 10:04 AM

My god that guy has a lot of records....... I have a bunch of his "essentials" like For Alto, the s/t, 3 Compositions and the Arista box set and some of his GTM series....... I fucking love the live one he did with Wolf Eyes. That shit is hella tight........

terminal pharmacy 05.24.2011 06:25 PM

heiner goebbels' surroggate cities is a favourite of mine. symphony for samlper and orchestra.

Savage Clone 05.24.2011 09:08 PM

Stephan Micus!

SuperCreep 05.24.2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Stephan Micus!

yes! i just heard "implosions" the other week. really gorgeous. i need to get more from him.

i'm not too much of an ECM fan overall, dave holland, AEC, arvo part, steve reich, and a few others aside. some of it is just too "smooth" in a really nauseating new age-y way. still a fair number of choice albums to make it a good label in my books, though.

The Watcher 05.24.2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
heiner goebbels' surroggate cities is a favourite of mine. symphony for samlper and orchestra.

Maybe it's just that I've been reading about WWII non stop recently, but this dude should really consider changing his name.......

Savage Clone 05.24.2011 10:23 PM

My bandmate recorded the first couple of Steve Tibbetts LPs, and the engineer of our last LP was Steve's bass player in the early ECM times.

terminal pharmacy 05.25.2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's just that I've been reading about WWII non stop recently, but this dude should really consider changing his name.......

yeah it does have a certain aryan ring...

keep poppin pimples 05.25.2011 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
some of it is just too "smooth" in a really nauseating new age-y way. still a fair number of choice albums to make it a good label in my books, though.

i agree, it does sound smooth..the mix. it sounds good but the smoothness and softness of it makes the music have less presence. compared say a rudy van gelder master, which i think has alot presence

The Watcher 05.25.2011 08:08 AM

I've really been getting into Terje Rypdal lately too, that Odyssey album is insanely good!!