Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:19 AM

and this one. I think I have almost figured out what they are trying to get across. Another one I MUST watch when it comes on

demonrail666 04.14.2010 10:26 AM

I've always thought it would've been a far better idea never to let the audience actually see or hear Hannibal. It's like from the moment you actually see him he's kind of demystified. Although I prefer Cox's version in Manhunter I still think the film as a whole would've been better without him. Just have him as some kind of diabolical unseen presence. It's the same for me with Marlon Brando's Kurtz, in Apocalypse Now.

akprodr 04.14.2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
clash of the titans was not filmed for 3-D.

I thought the 3D in Alice in Wonderland was pretty good and apparently that wasn't filmed in 3D

Rob Instigator 04.14.2010 10:30 AM

you got ripped offf akprodr!!! ;)

demonrail666 04.14.2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
and this one. I think I have almost figured out what they are trying to get across. Another one I MUST watch when it comes on

I love Barton Fink, although once I started noticing the Eraserhead references, and then more, and then more, it became a bit weird. I know the Coen Brothers are recognised for acknowledging their references to other films but I never heard them mention Eraserhead in relation to Barton Fink. And some of it is just straight up plagiarism. I still love it though.

akprodr 04.14.2010 10:32 AM

Heck, I didn't think so.

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:33 AM

Oh apocolypse now. That movie is so fucking great! I read Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad in highschool one of the only books that really stuck with me. So dark and compelling. I love it when movies are made based slightly on a totally different story line and modernized.

It does make a movie more intriguing to not see the evil. Your imagination can conjure up some pretty crazy images. This is the beauty of old horror films. It's all based on this tension that keeps building and keeps you wanting to watch to find out more.

akprodr 04.14.2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I love Barton Fink, although once I started noticing the Eraserhead references, and then more, and then more, it became a bit weird. I know the Coen Brothers are recognised for acknowledging their references to other films but I never heard them mention Eraserhead in relation to Barton Fink. And some of it is just straight up plagiarism. I still love it though.

Tribute, not plagiarism

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Fuck I never noticed that! I have not seen eraser head in about 10 years or so. I am going to find it and watch it now to see.

Cohen Brothers are the best. They make the greatest movies of our time.

demonrail666 04.14.2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akprodr
Tribute, not plagiarism

Absolutely. Plagiarism was definitely the wrong word. Although I think it would've been fair if, in interviews, they at least mentioned Eraserhead as an influence, if only for people who hadn't seen it. I dunno, maybe they did. I don't remember it at the time though.

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. Plagiarism was definitely the wrong word. Although I think it would've been fair if, in interviews, they at least mentioned Eraserhead as an influence, if only for people who hadn't seen it. I dunno, maybe they did. I don't remember it at the time though.

They like the mystery in it. Isn't it more fun to find it on your own? It makes you feel like you know something others don't.

SONIC GAIL 04.14.2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akprodr
Heck, I didn't think so.

I was wondering about Alice. ILOVE Helena Bonam Carter and Johnny Depp two of my favorites. I will wait for the DVD in the vending machine for a dollar. I don't go to the movies. Way to fucking expensive and you can't pause it.

Has any one seen The Men who Stare at Goats ? I saw it in the vending machine it looked pretty interesting when the previews were out.

TheFoxBen 04.14.2010 04:22 PM

7/10. Overrated but it has an awesome sniper scene.

Rob Instigator 04.14.2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
I

Has any one seen The Men who Stare at Goats ? I saw it in the vending machine it looked pretty interesting when the previews were out.

I saw it last night. some interesting stuff, but not as funny as it tried to be. good for a silly laugh I guess. worth a dollar rental.

atsonicpark 04.14.2010 08:54 PM

american friend - 9/10

atsonicpark 04.15.2010 05:23 AM

the vicious kind - 8/10

wellcharge 04.15.2010 09:23 AM

batreleaser 04.15.2010 10:17 AM

Josef Conrad was waaaay to fucking racist for me to like. Just real blatant stuff.

I watched "A Fish Called Wanda", not nearly as funny as these fucking critics slobbing on it make it out to be.

batreleaser 04.15.2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

7/10. Overrated but it has an awesome sniper scene.

Jeremy Renner's jaw dropping performance really made that movie special. Not the plot or the effects or cinematography, which was all pretty decent, but Renner had me on the edge of my seat every time.

cagedbird 04.15.2010 12:30 PM

Taka Iimura.