Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Coast (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=43066)

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:36 AM

Best Coast

So, Best Coast!

Amazingly well done retro poppy goodness or hipster wankfest?

DeadDiscoDildo 11.26.2010 02:37 AM

The music is OK but she is a twat and the lyrics are super repetitive and boring...

same lyrics in every song.

Nothing of importance.

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:39 AM

I like the album a lot, because it has great melodies and good guitar riffs and very well done arrangements.

Also the album sequence does it for me to listen to it a lot.

The lyrics are dumb, but it's dumb pop music anyway.

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
The music is OK but she is a twat and the lyrics are super repetitive and boring...

same lyrics in every song.

Nothing of importance.

I made the mistake of following her on Twitter. I'm thankful i don't have to read her dumb shit anymore.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 03:01 AM

There's not much to the album, it's another one of those dum Dum Girls/Vivian Girls type bands without being as good, imo. But.. you know what? I like it just fine.

The simple songs, simple riffs, and simple melodies are simple, yes, but also appealing -- nothing groundbreaking, there's no depth to it whatsoever, but it's also not BAD. And that's important. She has a good voice... the songs sound good. There may be much to it, all in all, but just decent songwriting and good melodies (and the album is SHORT, thankfully -- even one minute longer would have been overkill) is good enough for me to give it a pass. All in all, not as good as Vivian Girls (since they're a lot sloppier and noisier and have a cooler sound imo) but about a trillion times better than that boring Blink-182wannabe Waves band... oh, and I think this band is a billion times better than Pocahaunted too. Nothing lifechanging, but there's plenty of good melodies on here, and that is ultimately very important to me -- most bands can't write a good melody to save their life. Even if these melodies are mostly taken from 60's girl groups, it still is a sound that appeals to me.

TheMadcapLaughs 11.26.2010 06:35 AM

i like the album

EVOLghost 11.26.2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Nothing of importance.

^ this. just...that I don't really pay much attention to lyrics.

the ikara cult 11.26.2010 10:01 AM

The album is really nicely produced, and there are a couple of great songs on there - Goodbye is my favourite. Dont listen to them expecting great lyrics, its breezy, happy music for happy people

loubarret 11.26.2010 10:34 AM

Oh i wish he was my boyfriend/I would love him to the very end.........

lyrical it's irritating at times but I like the album in small doses

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 06:36 PM

Funny, i think she's way better than Vivian Girls. She knows how to write songs, whether Vivian Girls turned to shit rather fast.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 06:44 PM

I don't see how their songs are really that different. They're both verse chorus verse chorus guitar solo chorus. Vivian Girls have a lot more energy and noise and better melodies imo. Better solos definitely. Both bands sound extremely similiar to my ears, except Vivian Girls just got a great drummer, after ditching the kinda crappy one (who joined Best coast) and they got keyboards now apparently..

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 06:46 PM

Their second album is one of the worst things i've ever heard in my life.

Yes, they sound similar (sixties melodies, simple riffs, etc.) I just think BC has better melodies and more thought out songs. Vivian Girls' melodies are pretty much the same in every song.

I really like VG's first album and i went to see them live and they were good.

Derek 11.26.2010 06:50 PM

I listened to the Best Coast album a few times and it became a candidate for 'Recycle Bin'.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 06:55 PM

Man I didn't think the second Vivian Girls album was too incredibly different than the first one, besides the songs being longer, a bit darker, and you can hear what the girl is saying now. It seemed like a natural progression.. though, on the other hand, the songs on the first album were a lot better. However, 90% of their best songs aren't even on their albums at all, they're on the, like, 7 singles the band has released in the past 2 years.

That's funny, Derek; I've heard it many times since my girlfriend likes it a lot. It's one of those albums I'd probably never listen to in my spare time but since I burned it for her I hear it and enjoy it just fine.

Derek 11.26.2010 07:04 PM

Vivian Girls never lasted long on my computer either. I LIKE this sort of stuff when I hear it but I'd never listen to it out of my own choice.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:06 PM

I love them. I listen to em all the time. Great band. Get their singles, like second date. GReat stuff.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:06 PM

http://rogkentroll.blogspot.com/2009...ian-girls.html

their discography. highly reccomend all the singles and shit, so good

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:08 PM

wow I'd never even heard these two songs

5. Snack Attack
6. Telepathic Love

DeadDiscoDildo 11.27.2010 04:04 AM

My band is better than best coast.

tesla69 03.03.2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

My band is better than best coast.

If they aren't you should just frakkin give up now!