Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Is Kid A an innovative album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7784)

porkmarras 11.06.2006 09:41 AM

Is Kid A an innovative album?

I imagine that only timorous ears will feel like saying that it is.Poll on the way for this most overrated of semi-adventurous records.

_slavo_ 11.06.2006 09:46 AM

I think it is.

At least I don't know what "timorous" means.

porkmarras 11.06.2006 09:47 AM

Meaning of timorous (adjective)
lacking courage; timid

Onani Nic 11.06.2006 10:01 AM

Kid A is bogus

porkmarras 11.06.2006 10:05 AM

haha.I meant to vote no but i voted yes instead.Yorken has cast a spell on me.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 11.06.2006 10:28 AM

i dont know about innovative, but i did enjoy the album

noisemachine 11.06.2006 11:55 AM

Its a good album, but not as innovative as many are lead to believe. The only reason it is considered innovative is that a mainstream artist like Radiohead made it, but other artists had been doing electronic experimentations a long time before. Check out: Paul Lansky, Parmigiani, Edgar Varese, among others.

_slavo_ 11.06.2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisemachine
Its a good album, but not as innovative as many are lead to believe. The only reason it is considered innovative is that a mainstream artist like Radiohead made it, but other artists had been doing electronic experimentations a long time before. Check out: Paul Lansky, Parmigiani, Edgar Varese, among others.

Yes, that's how I meant it when I voted 'yes'. For sure there was a number of artists that were producing far more experimental electronic stuff long time before Kid A, but considering Radiohead as a mainstream band, releasing a record like that was quite a corageous step.

HaydenAsche 11.06.2006 12:12 PM

It wasn't even that 'expiremental'. It was good but not innovative at all really.

strictlycommercial 11.06.2006 12:22 PM

Innovative is the wrong word. It was remarkably brave. The experiment was in taking an album like that to a mass market and seeing if it sold. A valuable exercise in itself.

nicfit 11.06.2006 12:28 PM

As i said in another thread : i really like Kid-a, but there's no way it's an "innovative" or "groundbreaking" album if you consider it from a wide perspective. It's surely "innovative" for radiohead because it marked a significant change in their sound and writing method, considering they were hailed like a "guitar band" or wathever they were labeled, you know what i mean, don't you?

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.06.2006 12:34 PM

It is a very innovative album. Definitely an innovation in sucking pseudo-intellectual mainstreamers cocks!

hey alex 11.06.2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlycommercial
Innovative is the wrong word. It was remarkably brave. The experiment was in taking an album like that to a mass market and seeing if it sold. A valuable exercise in itself.

yep. I really enjoy it myself, probably my favorite radiohead album. But I know it wasn't exactly anything new as it was what everyone else said.

Bal 11.06.2006 01:26 PM

in radioheads history it is deff an innovative album. in general - i dont think so.
radiohead is waaaaaay too much overrated.

h8kurdt 11.06.2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

porkmarras 11.06.2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

But also a rather useless one for the time the record came out.Take,for example,the continuous drone that Yorke spat out about his love of Authecre and the Warp label artists(as if they were the only people making forward thinking music at the time):if such 'love' was so persistent and genuine,why does the album sound like a lame approximation of music that is 'other'?Such tactics weren't certainly a new thing in the british rock panorama at the time Kid A came out and had been cooked and re-heated many a time before by more talented and genuinely adventurous people(the most obvious example being Bowie's berlin trilogy volte-face).

m^a(t)h 11.06.2006 03:56 PM

it is an innovative album because you all are fucking sheep for believing it isnt. Everytime i hear it isnt innovative its just some faggot whos thinks that aphex twin is fucking god. I never heard as good as music as Kid A's. Apex twin can blow me, he never made any music sound as nearly as good. Yes its fucking innovative........

people get too wrapped up about if its innovative or that original. take it for what it is. great music. dont tell me the first time you listened to it you shot it down for not being innovative enough, thats fucking retarded

Glice 11.06.2006 04:02 PM

It's a good pop album. Within a certain context, it, and they, is/are quite innovative. A guitar band making a consistently good album? That's quite innovative. For anyone with a cursory awareness of... well, just about the entire history of rock/ 'other' music, it's not terribly innovative.
But promotional rhetoric is a different language to the one most people speak.

I saw an advert for Damien Rice's new album the other day. They said, "the most influential musician of his generation". Bullshit, obviously, but within the promo-speak lexicon that's a fair assessment.

Genuinely innovative albums though? I can think of a few, but they are incredibly few and far between. In the last ten years I would say the only genuinely innovative music I've heard has been from Taku Sugimoto, and I can't stand that.

For my money, the likes of Haino/ NNCK/ Otomo Yoshihide/ Philip Jeck aren't necessarily innovative, but they are incredibly good.

porkmarras 11.06.2006 04:03 PM

Fags embraced disco before Yorke did,just remember.

Greetings from a faggish future

m^a(t)h 11.06.2006 04:11 PM

i hope you know i dont use "faggot" or "gays" to refer to homosexuals, i could care less what sexuality someone is...