Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104571)

Toilet & Bowels 01.19.2014 05:12 AM

The Last Gig You Went To And What Was It Like Thread

Surprised we don't have one of these.

Last thing I saw was Raajmahal which is Pat Murano from No Neck Blues Band + a lady, doing ethereal guitar/synth droney stuff. Not bad, but not anywhere as good as any of Pat Murano's other things that I've heard (e.g. NNCK, Key of Shame, Decimus, etc.)

guest 01.19.2014 06:10 AM

last night I caught juan atkins, who was predictably sxc, and the night before pearson sound & ben ufo, which again was awesome, all pretty furious sets.

last band I caught was I guess cuntz, a local noise rock act who have been playing a residency in melbourne, with a really caustic, sludy set. international act....from memory was deerhunter (??) who were FUCKING INSANE. records have been tailing off but live they still look like the pre-eminent 'indie' band of their generation.

was meant to be seeing matmos tonight but can't be fucked.

Genteel Death 01.19.2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
last band I caught was I guess cuntz, a local noise rock act who have been playing a residency in melbourne, with a really caustic, sludy set.

I'd love to see these guys live. I've been playing their album ''Aloha'' a lot lately.

Torn Curtain 01.19.2014 06:53 AM

Anna Calvi at Cognac a month ago.

At the begging she didn't seem to be into it during a couple of songs (to be honest she really looked stoned as f**k), but fortunately the rest of the show was fantastic.

dasx 01.21.2014 05:14 AM

Last gig I went to see was Sigur Ros in november 30th, 2013. Gig was really great audiovisual experiment! Band played well, sounds were excellent and visual part of the show was astonishing. They had put lot of effort on lights, videos and other visual stuff. In the beginning of the concert there was transparent curtain between the band and audience, and they streamed videos and effects on curtain.

Bytor Peltor 01.21.2014 07:28 AM

Back on October 3rd over in Houston, I saw the Legendary Pink Dots. Best I can remember it was my 7th time seeing them live. I've seen the Dots with as many as eight musicians on stage (drummer and percussionist) to current lineup consisting of just three members.

I'm a huge LPD fan, but I've self imposed ban on listening to Dot music for over a year in the past. They had two albums out on this tour and each were equally good. One I new going in to the show while the other was a tour only release. Edward Ka-Spel's voice was possibly the best I've ever heard it live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
A few pics I took at the Legendary Pink Dots show last week:

tesla69 01.22.2014 09:39 AM

Sunday I blew the budget and rented a car and drove up to northampton to see Home Comfort's monthly residency. This band features Matt valentine on guitar and John Maloney on drum, along with bassist Orion Russell, and keyboardist Adam Langelotti. Described by mv as his jam band, they took some long excursions around some covers like Pink Floyd's "Air" and Mv/ee's "Shit Creek", I guess I wanted to hear some serious mv guitar work and I was rewarded. Good night, two sets. between sets Crystalline Rose played, a very enjoyable solo acoustic guitarist. earlier that evening I stopped by a local gallery that was featuring recent art by both mv and jeremy from woods, that was cool. I had expected to see a 100 old COM covers but they had asked mv for more recent work.

That was all really well and good but the next day before leaving town I stopped by Herrell's and had a malted vanilla ice cream, they really do make the best ice cream in the world I think.

Phlegmscope 01.22.2014 07:37 PM

I saw Hopeajarvi in december. I don't really follow new bands but I've been very into them.

https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/...rvi-kiinnostaa

that night I also saw seksihullut who were garage punk closing in on hardcore. or something. http://youtu.be/BHHqw5SFTIY

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.22.2014 10:35 PM

SubhumanS at the GLass House..

Yeah its been a while, and it'd been way longer since seeing Subhumans. I had a bruised rib, I swore I wasn't getting into the pit. Y'all know I fucking barely got out of the pit the whole night! As expected they played all songs you want to hear, and even played my favorite Subvert City which doesn't get a lot of setlists. Great show. Went with my sister. we got buzzing it. oi oi

Phlegmscope 02.08.2014 09:40 PM

Yesterday these:

Baxter Stockman http://youtu.be/z5mtKjXlddc
Great shellaccy screeching noiserock.
Hopeajärvi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Ed6IZyK50
Sokea Piste http://sokeapiste.bandcamp.com/album/v-lik-si
Both really hot shit noisy punk/rock sung in finnish.

whorefrost 02.09.2014 03:41 AM

If memory serves it was Sleaford Mods playing Edinburgh, fairly damn good, surprisingly low attendance.

MellySingsDoom 02.09.2014 09:43 AM

My last gig were:

1. Club Integral in Stoke Newington - various bands going on there, all v good.
2. Terminal Cheesecake at Elektrowerkz - support acts were dull as anything, but TC were mighitly resurgent, and have Russell Smith and John Jobaggy back in their ranks again. Had to leave early, unfortunately, but what I caught was very impressive indeed.

pokkeherrie 02.10.2014 09:13 AM

Last gig I went to was Circle performing SSEENNSSEESS at the Rotterdam film festival two weeks ago. It was awesome, although I think Circle are way too theatrical in their performances to play to someone else's visuals.

Also went to Raajmahal last month and I agree with T&B. A bit too dreamy for me (didn't help it was on a Saturday night!), the Decimus set I saw last year was a lot better.

Other stuff I saw in 2014 are Head of Wantastiquet, Pete Swanson, Desmadrados Soldados de Ventura, some noise festival with mostly local acts and a bit of a disappointing belgian/dutch doom/metal/punk all-day thing.

Antagon 02.10.2014 11:30 AM

Depeche Mode supported by The Soft Moon. Both of these shows were great but some people in the crowd were assholes.

Before that I was at a Lydia Lunch-gig. I really dig her current project and lineup (Walter Weasel, Algis Kyzis, Bob Bert!). It was a retrospective, which is surprising considering that up until now she pursued an "Only new material"-policy. It was awesome!

guest 02.11.2014 10:46 PM

parquet courts in sydney. real tight, surprisingly feedback-y. total control supported.

ann ashtray 02.12.2014 12:58 AM

The last notable gig I went to was Death in June some months back. I enjoyed the percussive elements, but then Douglas pulled out the acoustic and it was an hour and a half of a bunch of songs that sounded mostly the same. The audience was kind of lame in the tacky sense. Thankfully there was none of the neo nazi violence that was rumored to be taking place. I was glad when it was over. The girlfriend had fun. All that matters.

ALIEN ANAL 02.12.2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
parquet courts in sydney. real tight, surprisingly feedback-y. total control supported.

Neat! I am disappointed that I didnt see them when they were playing at the lane way festival here.

A Thousand Threads 02.13.2014 07:26 AM

Played a gig yesterday. Managed to play for 10min without realizing that my amp wasn't turned on.
Now I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

Antagon 02.13.2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Played a gig yesterday. Managed to play for 10min without realizing that my amp wasn't turned on.
Now I can't decide if that's a good or a bad thing.

Don't beat yourself up over it! It was still a great gig. You guys created an amazing ambience that absolutely killed it. I enjoyed it a lot. And BlueBlut were a lot of fun. It seemed to me that they were enjoying themselves just as much as the audience enjoyed it. Overall a great event. Thanks for the free beer, I appreciate it a lot! :)

guest 02.20.2014 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
Neat! I am disappointed that I didnt see them when they were playing at the lane way festival here.

couldn't cope with laneway myself, cunt ratio is far too high!

melbourne really delivered this past weekend.....
saturday: blank realm lp launch
sunday afternoon: cuntz (for free, no less)
sunday evening: feedtime, useless children
sunday night: the stickmen

then wire tomorrow night.