Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Albums that you generally think that only yourself knows (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14268)

floatingslowly 07.16.2007 09:43 AM

it's not that nobody else knows about it so much as NOT ENOUGH people do....former lead singer of the Chainsaw Kitten's solo album.

fucking genius.

last I heard, he gave up rockstardom in place of teaching Engrish to kids in Shanghai. :(

atsonicpark 07.16.2007 09:44 AM

trust me when i say i've been a huge fan of loveliescrushing for many years now. favorite robo music besides stars of the lid

gmku 07.16.2007 09:48 AM

has anybody heard Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles?

floatingslowly 07.16.2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
has anybody heard Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles?

is that a side project of the Rolling Stones? :confused:

fucking geezer-rock man!!

gmku 07.16.2007 09:57 AM

No, I think it's the Monkees or some weird thing like that.

Glice 07.16.2007 01:46 PM

Did I mention Datblygu in this thread? I bloody loves 'em I does.

hat and beard 07.16.2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g

the whole "persuasive percussion" series (i know of 3 at this point)

These are actually pretty popular amongst a certain set of people.
I have two of them.

StevOK 07.16.2007 04:44 PM

Did some searching the other day, turns out a few albums I got from the bargain bin for 99 cents were quite rare.

Transistor Sound & Lighting Co. - s/t

More info

THUNDERING LIZARDS - Width of an Octopus · Moving Target / Celluloid
I don't really know what to say about these guys. They sorta sound like a watered-down, happy Punk band, but also really freaky - in the bad way. I just don't like it at all. - 5 - <Ray> source

Trasher02 07.16.2007 04:47 PM

I've never seen anyone talk about Skywave around here.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.16.2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
I've been flirting with the idea of buying that one for some garage standards played on it are appealing to me.
Would you recommand it?

Yeah. Their version of 96 tears is pretty good.

choc e-Claire 05.06.2019 08:21 PM

There's a band* called Animal Flag from Boston that I am obsessed with and that nobody has ever heard of.

Watch as someone pulls out a photo of themselves with a signed vinyl

*just one guy, but it's called a band

Antagon 05.09.2019 09:24 AM

Mors Syphilitica - Primrose

Having deejayed at Oldschool Goth events for years now, I've heard a few people talk about rather obscure artists (I know and care about) I previously thought no one around here would care about. I have however never heard anyone talk about Mors Syphilitica, let alone play any of their songs. Which is a damn pity. Since Primrose is a fucking masterpiece in my opinion. Such a lovely album. Probably one of the most romantic pieces I've ever heard. Lots of people talk about Dead Can Dance and Faith And The Muse. I've even heard someone mention The Shroud once. But absolutely no mention of Mors, what gives? It's not like these guys absolutely anonymous separately. Hell, Doc Hammer co-created The Venture Bros. and Lisa Hammer voiced Triana Orpheus. In my opinion, this is a criminally overlooked gem of the gothy Ethereal Wave genre. Lovely, lovely arrangements. And most of all, a very prominent and haunting bass. It's like being transported into another realm. And the structure is tight as fuck.

Blade Fetish - Absinthe

No one seems to talk about this either. Another great, overlooked Ethereal/Darkwave band. Very atmospheric. And there are certain parts that are even seem somewhat shoegazy

Peterpuff 05.09.2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly

it's not that nobody else knows about it so much as NOT ENOUGH people do....former lead singer of the Chainsaw Kitten's solo album.

fucking genius.

last I heard, he gave up rockstardom in place of teaching Engrish to kids in Shanghai. :(

Wow, this feels so odd replying to a 12 year old post, but I thought you might be interested to hear that he has been playing again and making a decent "comeback" around here locally. In fact, he just played the Norman Music Festival a few weeks ago (town of Oklahoma University).

http://normanmusicfestival.com/bands/tyson-meade/

Peterpuff 05.09.2019 11:28 AM

Gwen Mars - Magnosheen

I honestly have no clue how "big" this band was. They were an early afternoon band playing a local music festival in 1995, and my friend and I were blown away. Picked up their CD and played it on heavy rotation for the next few years. It was pre-internet, and I remember feeling like they were our special little find amongst my peer group...

Musically, I would say something of a cross between Smashing Pumpkins and Placebo. I remember hearing Placebo a few years later and thinking "they are a bit of a Gwen Mars ripoff." So, there you go. Worth checking out if you are into either of those bands, imo. It is a pretty good standard rock record with that iconic Big Muff distortion sound. About to go give it a nostalgic spin myself...

One of my favorite tracks of the ablum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-9RdN4cTkA